Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ryan Bennett Joins On Loan

4 hours ago, Unabomber said:

That what I was thinking. Pathetic reaction from most in here. Not sure what they were expecting?

Someone a bit better maybe, I think we have moved on from signing players like Brian Carey or Paul Fitzpatrick and he's about there level. Fifth choice at wolves or maybe sixth but good enough for us😂

39 minutes ago, The Bear said:

He was good enough for us in a back 3 when we finished 7th last season, and he's been playing in that role for a couple of years. He's a perfectly decent Prem defender. It just didn't work out with you. He hadn't played in a long time and had a mare against an in-form Kane. 

He'll go to a lower Prem or upper Champo team. 

Our back three is different to your back three, tbf. Your centrebacks don't really have to be any good on the ball. Ours do. That's why I was so dubious of his signing in the first place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Our back three is different to your back three, tbf. Your centrebacks don't really have to be any good on the ball. Ours do. That's why I was so dubious of his signing in the first place.

I’d say quite the opposite tbh. Wolves back three are decent on the ball. It’s why two of their first choice are converted midfielders plus the Belgian lad who can play there. I think it’s exactly the reason why they let Bennett go

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’d say quite the opposite tbh. Wolves back three are decent on the ball. It’s why two of their first choice are converted midfielders plus the Belgian lad who can play there. I think it’s exactly the reason why they let Bennett go

You're actually right. But I would add the caveat that the reason he worked before at Wolves was their tactics didn't require the centrebacks to be as good at passing last season and before that. This season things changed as they've tried to adapt to scenarios where they have more of the ball.

10 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Weird isn't it, why would we as a buying club want a clause whereby you would have the decision to buy taken away from you? 

It's as if Wolves were trying to trick us.

It's a fairly common clause, a certain number of games triggers a financial incentive.

It was a low risk last minute option, he was brought in as back up to allow Benkovic to go on loan, hoping he wouldn't be needed. Soyuncu's stupidity meant he became an option. Rodgers must have seen something in him to pick him ahead of Morgan and he handled Sheffield United's strike force quite comfortably. He was massively exposed against Spurs and we should not be looking to sign him or players of his quality. But there was nothing odd about the loan signing or the clause included.

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach

All of this would have been unnecessary if Rodgers had stopped messing about with Benkovic , who is an international player , he is ready now he doesn't need another loan.

17 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

All of this would have been unnecessary if Rodgers had stopped messing about with Benkovic , who is an international player , he is ready now he doesn't need another loan.

That's quite a statement considering he struggled for starts at Bristol City, he was also coming back from an injury.

I think we can all agree this didn't quite go to plan, but the thinking was sensible. Soyuncu has had a good season and if Benkovic had stayed here he would have played very little. Getting him game time at BC should have been good for his development but he didn't play as much as we would like. If he'd stayed he would have been frustrated then thrown in at the deep end assuming the season went as it did. Bennett was a low cost low risk option allowing Benkovic to develop. Hopefully he has come back a better hungrier player and can become part of an interchangeable back line that is comfortable as a back 3 or with any 2 of Evans, Benkovic and Soyuncu. We will need to use the squad next season and that means a full squad of capable and flexible players.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Spot on. 

Guest An Sionnach

Kane and Son have made fools of many a so called top defender, Ryan is capable back up defender but Benkovic is the future for us , if we can keep them happy , he and Soyuncu are going to be a formidable pairing in a couple of years.

23 hours ago, Collymore said:

He's not that bad. Big over reaction by many like usual.

He wasn't a great signing. The right side with him and Justin just didn't work. The defending at Spurs was awful, particularly constantly showing Kane on his right.

Not saying Bennett is a bad player, he probably isn't. He's ok but that's it. There are plenty of "ok" defenders in the league, that just work in their system/team, and he's probably one of them. 

But I also don't know how people are suddenly thinking Benkovic is the answer. We haven't watched him close enough.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

He wasn't a great signing. The right side with him and Justin just didn't work. The defending at Spurs was awful, particularly constantly showing Kane on his right.

Not saying Bennett is a bad player, he probably isn't. He's ok but that's it. There are plenty of "ok" defenders in the league, that just work in their system/team, and he's probably one of them. 

But I also don't know how people are suddenly thinking Benkovic is the answer. We haven't watched him close enough.

He was an ok signing as a back-up. No more, no less.

Benkovic needed first team football, surely no-one can dispute that? He has a far higher ceiling than Bennett. If we can get him fit, and keep him fit, he offers us a lot more. He seems strong aerially and comfortable passing the ball.  If we can realise his potential his signing could prove to be fantastically good value.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I've been thinking the same thing.

I think we all assume Benkovic was a bought as a long term option but I'm surprised how many people seem to have formed solid opinions on him already based on a minimal amount of games for another team.

• Like 1

Look... weve all decided that Bennett was way out of his depth in a top six club

The club bought him as cover so that benkovic

could go off to play for Bristol.... history has shown that this was a mistake.... and some of ushope that the club will not weaken our cover like this ever again... while others think it was a reasonable risk.

We have yet to find out if benkovic can play in the pl.

That's it. Lets close the book on bennett

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Sometimes when you cross someone on street you don’t know which way the other is going to pass one another. You fellas ever had that? I reckon when Bennett is in that situation he falls over.

Either that or he cynically but very blatantly blocks them off

10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

You just know he’ll end up at Leeds and score his only 2 goals for the season next year against us.

Still remember Molla Wague scoring against us for Watford over Christmas 2017.

• 2 weeks later...