Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

US Presidential Election 2020

5 hours ago, Lionator said:

It's bad on both sides of the political spectrum. It's just that the Giuliani clip is ridiculous.

Is it though? I mean, the democrats have picked arguably their worst candidate and could have brought through somebody younger and more dynamic, and the left is overly shouty about minor indiscretions these days........but the republicans have spent the last few years falling in line behind a serial liar president that has literally just suggested injecting disinfectant might cure covid-19. I'm really struggling to see how the problems are equitable.

Edited by Toddybad
  • Like 3

Guys a tw@t of the highest order. Playing it off as sarcasm and putting back at the media. Your base of supporters are absolutely stupid. I can't stand his stupid face anymore. Please do the world a favour and piss off to mars.

36 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Guys a tw@t of the highest order. Playing it off as sarcasm and putting back at the media. Your base of supporters are absolutely stupid. I can't stand his stupid face anymore. Please do the world a favour and piss off to mars.

Why do you hate Mars so damn much?

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Decent article, although I have no idea why there's a link to Fukuyama lol. That old grifter's ideas are surely done for? I also think, although he recognises that the underlying political and socio-economic conditions are what got Trump into office and made the US so susceptible to the virus, he probably laid the blame too squarely at Trump's feet. The whole establishment is complicit with him. The Republicans for meekly getting behind him, and the Democrats for barely providing any obstacle of any sort in Congress. 

• Like 1

I particularly like this passage from the article I posted above:

Like a wanton boy throwing matches in a parched field, Trump began to immolate what was left of national civic life. He never even pretended to be president of the whole country, but pitted us against one another along lines of race, sex, religion, citizenship, education, region, and—every day of his presidency—political party. His main tool of governance was to lie. A third of the country locked itself in a hall of mirrors that it believed to be reality; a third drove itself mad with the effort to hold on to the idea of knowable truth; and a third gave up even trying.

Also this:

The virus should have united Americans against a common threat. With different leadership, it might have. Instead, even as it spread from blue to red areas, attitudes broke down along familiar partisan lines. The virus also should have been a great leveler. You don’t have to be in the military or in debt to be a target—you just have to be human. But from the start, its effects have been skewed by the inequality that we’ve tolerated for so long. When tests for the virus were almost impossible to find, the wealthy and connected—the model and reality-TV host Heidi Klum, the entire roster of the Brooklyn Nets, the president’s conservative allies—were somehow able to get tested, despite many showing no symptoms. The smattering of individual results did nothing to protect public health. Meanwhile, ordinary people with fevers and chills had to wait in long and possibly infectious lines, only to be turned away because they weren’t actually suffocating. An internet joke proposed that the only way to find out whether you had the virus was to sneeze in a rich person’s face.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Another day in isolation, another morning waking up to a new Trumpian episode. I thought his decision to stop doing the briefings after not being sure if you can inject bleach meant that somebody in the WH had finally gotten through to him about his random outbursts harming his reelection chances.  I was wrong.

EWkLXYfXsAANpta?format=jpg&name=medium

There is no Nobel prize for journalism. But it gets worse because that's just a compilation of screencaps, those tweets have been deleted. It seems the people responding to them were all too dumb to understand his genius use of words.

I was going to say we should get him one of those Chinese finger traps to occupy his digits for a while but then I realised he'd probably end up starving to death because he can't get it off.

22 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Jesus Christ that's depressing.

So here's the thing..... both here and in the US the right wing have gone nuts....but also become electorally victorious.

There's no point just taking the p*ss out of the obvious mental deficiencies of the leader or some followers. It's not going to do anything to help the situation we're in.

So we have to look at concerns around immigration (and as much as there are some blatently racist folk on the right, it's not all of them and there are also some decent arguments about globalism - a republican/Tory idea economically but tied to the left due to multiculturalism - not being all good), ignorance of the regions (whether in the US or UK money and power has been taken from manufacturing hubs across the country into finance hubs in the city - another right wing Thatcherite idea) and a feeling that politics doesn't help ordinary people (which the right has capitalised on despite the right being the establishment). 

I wouldn't be surprised if trump won again at this point, the world is that ridiculous right now, but unless the left gets its head out of it **** and tackles these type of issue it's pointless taking the mickey.

Edited by Toddybad
  • Like 1

Guest MattP

The state of US politics at the minute lol

A president so hopelessly out of his depth he can't go ten minutes without embarrassing himself and now needs to basically go full UBI bribery and jingoistic on the Chinese to have a hope of winning later this year.

On the other side a candidate now accused of sexual assault who the "Kavanagh must go, women MUST be believed" mob will now have to vote for and pretend it's morally OK to do so on the basis of the opponent.

Whatever anyone thinks of Boris I really hope this is the end of the comparisons with him and Trump - I mean just watch the two when conducting a press conference on this.