Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manini

Adam Lallana

43 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

It is though, you don't have a single wide player in the first 11 who you can rely on to produce consistently over a season. As has been said on here before the best way to improve a squad is to enhance the starting IX and that way the squad organically grows stronger. Bloating the squad with over the hill players who are no better than what you already have, who wouldn't challenge for a regular starting spot is very much not the way to do it, that's before you even mention the player in question's injury record in recent years.

Agree with your point about his injury record, however we need a good 5 or 6 new players for next season for us to compete. Whilst we need a little quantity, we very much need quality. With FFP, we cannot just sign 5 or 6 quality players in one window. Even if we sell Chilwell for £50/60m, top players dont go for under £30-40m so to sign 5 or 6 of them would cost between £150-200m. We cannot do that with FFP which means we may have to sign the odd freebie like Lallana to add to the squad. Hes not necessarily going to start every game but hes played at the highest level for club and country and would bring a wealth of experience to our young squad. We have done well in the past with freebies like Fuchs and Albrighton so I dont see Lallana as being a bad move for us on a freebie. It frees up money for us to spend in other areas like a new winger, striker and centre back plus a replacement for Chilwell if he leaves. 

• Like 1

Just now, jayfox26 said:

Agree with your point about his injury record, however we need a good 5 or 6 new players for next season for us to compete. Whilst we need a little quantity, we very much need quality. With FFP, we cannot just sign 5 or 6 quality players in one window. Even if we sell Chilwell for £50/60m, top players dont go for under £30-40m so to sign 5 or 6 of them would cost between £150-200m. We cannot do that with FFP which means we may have to sign the odd freebie like Lallana to add to the squad. Hes not necessarily going to start every game but hes played at the highest level for club and country and would bring a wealth of experience to our young squad. We have done well in the past with freebies like Fuchs and Albrighton so I dont see Lallana as being a bad move for us on a freebie. It frees up money for us to spend in other areas like a new winger, striker and centre back plus a replacement for Chilwell if he leaves. 

I'm sorry but I just don't see it with a signing like Lallana and just because he's free doesn't mean he isn't a factor with FFP. If he's on a handsome wage then he'll still contribute towards that. I'd be amazed if you signed 5 or 6 players in any window, Rodgers has been burned doing that before. This is where a club has to be patient and work to their model, if you need 5 or 6 players of sufficient quality you do it incrementally, window by window. Trying to sign 5 or 6 players in one window and it working out rarely happens.

13 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I don’t think he’s in a position to demand big wages though, you’re only worth what someone will pay you and I can’t see any of the ‘top 6’ going for him which means he’s gonna have to take a wage cut from his Liverpool contract. 

He’ll probably still want a wedge signing on, but I don’t think it will harm us for FFP. Shifting players who have no future here like Slimani, Ghezzal and Silva is a big priority, that’ll free some wages to negotiate with. 

That ain't gonna happen though is it, you couldn't get anyone to take them before the pandemic and there is less money sloshing about Europe now.

11 hours ago, wardyfox86 said:

Our first 11 isn't the problem though, it's the larger squad. Once we have a few injuries, their replacements are abject, especially in midfield. 

and THATS probably why the likes of Brighton have ‘ leapfrogged’ us. He’s the sort of player who will be instrumental to Brighton’s first 11, yet he’ll compliment/ strengthen our first team squad very Nicely.

1 minute ago, MPH said:

and THATS probably why the likes of Brighton have ‘ leapfrogged’ us. He’s the sort of player who will be instrumental to Brighton’s first 11, yet he’ll compliment/ strengthen our first team squad very Nicely.

Brighton leapfrogged you come on now lol

Brighton are a club who's aim is just to stay in the league, Leicester are a club who have just about qualified for Europe and have long term designs on the Champions League, therein lies a huge difference.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Brighton are a club who's aim is just to stay in the league, Leicester are a club who have just about qualified for Europe and have long term designs on the Champions League, therein lies a huge difference.

Yep lallana, would rather be in a team on the European stage rather than one hoping to not drop in the championship. Not getting big or anything but that is where the two clubs are at the moment. Lallana will in fact have a good chance of getting games with us as well. 

3 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Yep lallana, would rather be in a team on the European stage rather than one hoping to not drop in the championship. Not getting big or anything but that is where the two clubs are at the moment. Lallana will in fact have a good chance of getting games with us as well. 

Or perhaps he's spent the last 3 or 4 years on the fringes at a club in European competition and doesn't want to do it again, instead moving to a less reputable side who play good football and are promising him more games. 

21 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Lallana would have been an awful signing, an absolute panic buy who would do nothing to improve the first 11.

Don't like to correct you Henrik as I think you are a decent poster giving an honest opinion, but you do imply here that it would be a panic buy. My obsession with improving the bench is the fact that with potentially 5 subs allowed next season, it's no longer a first XI but a first XVI. It's a bit like rugby, you want players who can interchange and I do feel someone like Lallana could be just what we need to come a create a chance when a team like Burnley just park the bus. It also good to have a bit of experience in a relative young midfield.

Edited by MGLCFC
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

they are talking about in the race for lallana, not in the status of each club...

On 16/07/2020 at 15:57, justfoxes said:

He’s off to Brighton by all accounts wants to be beside the seaside !!:frantics:

Papers reporting this yeah - they are promising he’ll start every game...

3 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Don't understand why anybody would be horrified by this signing

Who's horrified? I'd just rather we didn't. 1 goal and 1 assist in the last 3 years suggests a player in serious decline. Klopp doesn't even rate him enough anymore to bring him on when they've got a 3 goal lead over Chelsea.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Who's horrified? I'd just rather we didn't. 1 goal and 1 assist in the last 3 years suggests a player in serious decline. Klopp doesn't even rate him enough anymore to bring him on when they've got a 3 goal lead over Chelsea.

The people who are saying that he would be an awful signing. By all means don't be too excited but people making out signing him is a disaster need to chill out

7 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Don't understand why anybody would be horrified by this signing

Nobody is horrified per se but these are the facts:

Huge wages 

Injury prone 

32 years old 

Well past his prime 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Klopp doesn't even rate him enough anymore to bring him on when they've got a 3 goal lead over Chelsea.

Klopp declared a few weeks ago that he probably wouldn't play him to prevent him getting injured and messing up any transfer.

34 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Bullet dodged.

It does feel like that. 

We probably do need some experience and leadership in the middle, a bit like Liverpool got with Milner a fews years ago. But he has always kept himself fit, is reliable. I just don't see Lallana the same way. 

56 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

3 year deal and broke their wage structure to get him, sounds like he was probably after a fair wack on the wages then

Good we walked away then. I think he's a good player and definitely has something to offer, but that's not a smart deal for a player of his age or with his injury record.

I expect we will sign a player similar to him during the break though. His experience would also have been good, even though he's not that much of a leader. I'd love to have someone like Moutinho of Wolves who is very consistent and stable that we could call upon in the middle of the park. Basically I feel we need a Cambiasso 2.0!