Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

23 minutes ago, Bert said:

If the league is to stop now, how can they award Liverpool the title but not relegate the teams in the bottom three?

There is a stong argument that as Liverpool are 25 points clear, it's inevitable they would have won the league. But teams are out side the relegation zone on goal difference, so less clear what would have happened.

If there is one thing we can all agree on it’s that there is no solution that will satisfy everyone.

It is tempting for us just to think about our own leagues but this is a world-wide issue so FIFA, UEFA etc need to be taking a lead.

Bizarrely the winter World Cup gives us a possible way out.  Finish the current season in full probably just before Christmas including FA Cup, UCL, EL etc.  Run complete seasons starting Jan 21-Oct 21 and Jan 22-Oct 22 finishing in time for the WC.

In Jan/Feb 23 split each division in 2 and play a shortened season, including both cups with one up one down from each.  This should finish in May 23 and we can then go back to normal.

Broadcasters should be as happy as they can be because once we start again there is a pretty much full and continuous programme for them.

No club loses out as a result of decisions taken off the pitch.

Transfer windows can stay as they are, as it is there is one during the season and one after so it would be pretty much the same situation.

I think this works for the European leagues although how realistic playing a Southern Europe in July/August is I am not sure.  They might not be starting again until September anyway so this wouldn’t be an issue this year and in 21 and 22 they can have a summer break instead of a winter one.

I haven’t looked at other leagues but those that are well into their season can use the same model.  Those that are currently in the off-season or have only just started can use the shortened season option this year and get back to their normal pattern earlier.  Voiding a season after 6-10 games is much more acceptable than after 28/29.

Anyway, too much time on my hands.  What time does Super Sunday start?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

We're stuffed.

The most obvious, sensible and appropriate option is missing though... try and finish the season at some point where possible. That will be the preference in the next few months. After that, if it hasn't resumed then we might see a farcical situation and no doubt we'll not get a favourable outcome.

• Like 2

We're stuffed.

The thing is, if you look at the current table I would suggest that only Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves, Sheff Utd are 100% happy with their current league position. Therefore all the underachievers like Man Utd, Arsenal, West Ham, Everton etc are going to want the season declared null and void. 

1 hour ago, TeamRocket said:

Think villa should play there game in hand before season starts and the bottom 3 go down. Or bottom 3 of prem play top 3 of champ in a playoff style football game before new season starts. 

I don't think for the integrity of the competition you can relegate a team without completing the full 38 games. Some will have had a harder run of games that others which just isn't fair. My preference and the only way I can see it working while being as fair as possible is to expand the premier league for one season to 22 or 23 teams and the football league come up with a way of deciding who is promoted from the championship. Could be top two/three as it stands, a play off system if possible or something else. But I think it would be a solution that would keep all fans happy and avoid major legal action from clubs. 

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

it’s not really a scientific study - only fans of sheff u and us will be voting for option 3. The Lpool fans will be voting for option 2 and everyone else (who cares enough to vote) for option 1.   I wonder which option is winning easily ???

I worry though that reflects how the clubs would vote should it come down to it.

7 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

The thing is, if you look at the current table I would suggest that only Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves, Sheff Utd are 100% happy with their current league position. Therefore all the underachievers like Man Utd, Arsenal, West Ham, Everton etc are going to want the season declared null and void. 

I think Burnley, Newcastle, palace and Southampton would be pretty happy with there current position as well.

Just now, Lcfc82 said:

I think Burnley, Newcastle, palace and Southampton would be pretty happy with there current position as well.

I'll accept that but they are all pretty much already at the point of the season where they have nothing to play for therefore a null and void season would probably also suit them as well. My wider point was that only those overachieving or achieving something good would want anything other than null and void. 

I worry though that reflects how the clubs would vote should it come down to it.

Agree

1 minute ago, Lcfc82 said:

they are but they are also very much against us getting a £40m windfall as opposed to one of the usual suspects .... it’s not a vote for the future which could affect them - it’s a one off and we would be stuffed by them .....

It's pretty obvious that regardless of the timescales that football is stopped for, when it starts again it will resume from where we left off.    This will almost certainly mean the euros are cancelled.

Next season will obviously start late.  Cancel league cup, FA cup and international friendlies in order to catch up on what we lost due to the late start of the new seaaon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

it’s not really a scientific study - only fans of sheff u and us will be voting for option 3. The Lpool fans will be voting for option 2 and everyone else (who cares enough to vote) for option 1.   I wonder which option is winning easily ???

I’m still voting option 2. It’s the fairest thing, and to be honest champs league isn’t the be all and end all with the state of the world atm 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

You’re a spy for forest, you have to be. 

No my preferred option is Liverpool get title, European places dished out as the standings are, fa cup cancelled, no relegation, top 2 from championship get promoted and have 4 teams relegated next two seasons. Cancel premier league league cup entries for the next year or two to reduce fixture congestion

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bmt said:

I’m still voting option 2. It’s the fairest thing, and to be honest champs league isn’t the be all and end all with the state of the world atm 

When I’m destitute on the streets next autumn, watching my team in the CL through the pub window will be all I have left to hang onto .... the love of your club is irrational.... I’m judging you to be too rational !!!!

EDIT: I see your recent post ref current positions counting but I cannot see that being allowed by the majority in the league 

Edited by st albans fox

Like I’ve said before, if they give the title to Liverpool (and I’ll accept that as fair) then they have to give us the champions league place, otherwise surely that’s grounds for discrimination! As for relegation, just relegate the bottom 10 for fairness. 

1 minute ago, Sir Shep said:

Like I’ve said before, if they give the title to Liverpool (and I’ll accept that as fair) then they have to give us the champions league place, otherwise surely that’s grounds for discrimination! As for relegation, just relegate the bottom 10 for fairness. 

Not if it means forest being promoted!!

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

The most obvious, sensible and appropriate option is missing though... try and finish the season at some point where possible. That will be the preference in the next few months. After that, if it hasn't resumed then we might see a farcical situation and no doubt we'll not get a favourable outcome.

They HAVE to finish the season as somewhat unbelievably, it is not written into the rules what would happen in the event of a competition having to be cancelled. 

This means any decision other than completing the season is liable to legal challenge

• Like 1