Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

25 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Easily pleased (or confused) then. 

The ‘country’ haven’t done away with football, the FA have.  

sorry not to be so precise. the FA have done away with football but we have not closed schools. lol  

Edited by don_danbury

4 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

sorry not to be so precise. the FA have done away with football but we have not closed schools. lol 

I see what you’re saying but it was an executive decision from the FA to suspend football. Schools could close if necessary (not agreeing or disagreeing whether it is), but it’s down to the Govt to do that en-masse. I’m sure, Arteta and Hudson-Odoi contracting Covid-19 had a big impact on the decision. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I see what you’re saying but it was an executive decision from the FA to suspend football. Schools could close if necessary (not agreeing or disagreeing whether it is), but it’s down to the Govt to do that en-masse. I’m sure, Arteta and Hudson-Odoi contracting Covid-19 had a big impact on the decision. 

yeah. i just find it weird how football can be ahead in this situation. schools being still open is far worse imo. i just remember schoosl being so unsanitary. 

Edited by don_danbury
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, don_danbury said:

yeah. i just find it weird how football can be ahead in this situation. schools being still open is far worse imo. i just remember schoosl being so unsanitary. 

Yeah, I have the children's grandparents on standby to look after them so I can continue working.

Closing schools is definitely the best thing to do. There's no way anything will go wrong. 

:revenge:

Edited by nnfox

On 13/03/2020 at 15:30, Facecloth said:

No chance. Sitting indoors and talking shite on the internet is what this place was made for and what we're all best at. Site traffic will go through the roof. Mark is gonna make a mint of advertising!

My comment was aimed at the state it gets into for an international break with no club football.

Also it could be as long as the summer break but no transfer forum.

Now think about some of the shite topics that will get started.

19 minutes ago, sylofox said:

My comment was aimed at the state it gets into for an international break with no club football.

Also it could be as long as the summer break but no transfer forum.

Now think about some of the shite topics that will get started.

As if things weren’t already grim, you’ve made me feel even worse! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bmouth_fox said:

I work in health research - and closing schools is literally the worst thing the govt can recommend. We can’t contain this, but we can manage it.

Its a dreadful idea to close schools - who will be called in to look after kids? Grandparents, ie older people in at the risk groups. Children aren’t really affected by this beyond having a cold, but they are carriers. Closing schools will contribute to a big spike in the mortality rate.

It should also be reminded that the NHS is the biggest employer in the country, who’s staff need to be working at the moment and not called away to look after children.

Schools - ie big institutions full of people in low risk groups - should stay open for as long as possible. In more of a utopian world maybe I’d even suggest locking all the kids up at school!!! 

A question out if he genuine interest. Is it possible for the virus to mutate again? And if it mutated is it possible for it to affect children more dramatically? Are children carriers bit not affected by it or is there no trace in children? Also is a mutation more or less likely if large numbers of people have it? 

Sorry for all the questions! 

51 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

King Power's profits must be taking a hit on this. Not sure how busy Thailand airports are at the moment. 

We were touring in Asia for the last 4 weeks, including Bangkok and it's extremely quiet. Didn't use any of the Thai airports but everywhere we went the locals were saying 60% less people than usual. The travel restrictions on the Chinese hitting everywhere very significantly. 

Our original flight to Singapore was only 50% full and the cruise 25% full. 

Edited by FoyleFox

15 minutes ago, lcfc81 said:

A question out if he genuine interest. Is it possible for the virus to mutate again? And if it mutated is it possible for it to affect children more dramatically? Are children carriers bit not affected by it or is there no trace in children? Also is a mutation more or less likely if large numbers of people have it? 

I’m not really qualified to answer, apart from saying yes any virus can mutate and the mutation may affect different groups.

They think now people in China were being reinfected (some, not all). Usually with these types of virus once you get it that’s it, but perhaps not with this... just another thing to throw into the pot.

One of my annoyances at the moment is the misinformation and speculation. Ultimately we don’t know a lot about this virus yet.

2 minutes ago, bmouth_fox said:

I’m not really qualified to answer, apart from saying yes any virus can mutate and the mutation may affect different groups.

They think now people in China were being reinfected (some, not all). Usually with these types of virus once you get it that’s it, but perhaps not with this... just another thing to throw into the pot.

One of my annoyances at the moment is the misinformation and speculation. Ultimately we don’t know a lot about this virus yet.

Cheers Bournemouth fox. It is very hard to know what to do/ how to act. All we can do I suppose is follow government advice and take extra precautions. Definitely unprecedented times. 

Another annoyance - I think the govt and Chris Witty etc have handled this well so far. But I have just heard that they plan to isolate the over 70s. Which makes sense, but it only makes sense because it is an easily identifiable criteria.

Would it be more effective to isolate everyone with underlying health issues, regardless of age. An unhealthy 69 year old (or even 50 year old) has less risk than a healthy 72 year old for example. I suspect though a lot of unhealthy older adults don’t realise they are unhealthy - hence broadening whatever the isolation will be to basically any older adult.

So why are they intending to isolate ALL older adults regardless of health status? This is my way of saying that a lot of the time human beings aren’t the brightest...! 

3 hours ago, nnfox said:

Yeah, I have the children's grandparents on standby to look after them so I can continue working.

Closing schools is definitely the best thing to do. There's no way anything will go wrong. 

:revenge:

I'm a teacher, albeit in an international school in Africa but I don't think your stance on this is fair. Kids can catch and transmit the virus too, so teachers (not all of whom are young) and their close family are at risk. Nobody seems to be considering that.

2 hours ago, bmouth_fox said:

I work in health research - and closing schools is literally the worst thing the govt can recommend. We can’t contain this, but we can manage it.

Its a dreadful idea to close schools - who will be called in to look after kids? Grandparents, ie older people in at the risk groups. Children aren’t really affected by this beyond having a cold, but they are carriers. Closing schools will contribute to a big spike in the mortality rate.

It should also be reminded that the NHS is the biggest employer in the country, who’s staff need to be working at the moment and not called away to look after children.

Schools - ie big institutions full of people in low risk groups - should stay open for as long as possible. In more of a utopian world maybe I’d even suggest locking all the kids up at school!!! 

Come on! Talking sense on here is forbidden 😂

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

We were touring in Asia for the last 4 weeks, including Bangkok and it's extremely quiet. Didn't use any of the Thai airports but everywhere we went the locals were saying 60% less people than usual. The travel restrictions on the Chinese hitting everywhere very significantly. 

Our original flight to Singapore was only 50% full and the cruise 25% full. 

I mentioned this on the stadium expansion thread last week.It was obvious travel was going to be massively restricted.All the owners are going to take huge hits.This was before they suspended the league.If we ever get the thing up and running again it might actually look a lot different.

45 minutes ago, lcfc81 said:

I have read that children’s immune systems are much more sensitive as they are still developing and as such, they fight off the novel virus much more efficiently than us older folk whose bodies are tuned to expecting to see virus’ we’ve seen before and mutations of them so our systems have become ‘lazy’ at spotting a novel virus’.

obviously it’s more technical than that explanation but you get the gist ....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bmouth_fox said:

I read up about the reinfection thing a few days ago, after somebody challenged a post of mine re immunity. 

Reinfection is unlikely. 

The cases in China where individuals have got it twice are suspected to be cases where the fever has gone, the throat become better and the throat swab test has come back as an all clear....but the virus has actually just migrated to the lungs and these symptoms can/do show later. 

So, the likelihood is not reinfection....but just it never cleared in the first place (which makes sense, we all have colds that can last 4 days or other times can take 4 weeks to fully clear)

Edited by Paninistickers
Typo
  • Like 2