Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

As unlikely as it is that Liverpool don't win the league, I don't see how anyone can legitimately argue that Option 2 is fair at all - it simply isn't. 

I'd be for an increased amount of teams if the season can't finish but if you say the season is over, it has to be the same rule for all surely. Liverpool have not mathematically won the title, giving it to them and ignoring every other team's position is just wrong. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

As unlikely as it is that Liverpool don't win the league, I don't see how anyone can legitimately argue that Option 2 is fair at all - it simply isn't. 

I'd be for an increased amount of teams if the season can't finish but if you say the season is over, it has to be the same rule for all surely. Liverpool have not mathematically won the title, giving it to them and ignoring every other team's position is just wrong. 

What does ‘fair’ have to do with anything 

this is about money ........

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

They HAVE to finish the season as somewhat unbelievably, it is not written into the rules what would happen in the event of a competition having to be cancelled. 

This means any decision other than completing the season is liable to legal challenge

Hard to believe no one thought there may be a situation one day where the season might not be completed.

Really quite pathetic from this huge industry.

3 hours ago, FOXSE said:

There is a stong argument that as Liverpool are 25 points clear, it's inevitable they would have won the league. But teams are out side the relegation zone on goal difference, so less clear what would have happened.

"Possibly" yes. But who's to say that won't lose every remaining game of the season? 

It's extremely unlikely, but is still mathematically possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

When I’m destitute on the streets next autumn, watching my team in the CL through the pub window will be all I have left to hang onto .... the love of your club is irrational.... I’m judging you to be too rational !!!!

EDIT: I see your recent post ref current positions counting but I cannot see that being allowed by the majority in the league 

No I don’t think it will be either, but I think it’s the fairest option

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vestan Pance said:

Hard to believe no one thought there may be a situation one day where the season might not be completed.

Really quite pathetic from this huge industry.

It beggars belief really that it wasn't in the rules and that the PL lawyers probably copied and pasted a load of standard Ts and Cs

Surely it wasn't radical thinking to pre suppose that a season in the future may possibly be curtailed due to war, natural disaster, strike, civil unrest, fuel/food shortages or other force majeure

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

It beggars belief really that it wasn't in the rules and that the PL lawyers probably copied and pasted a load of standard Ts and Cs

Surely it wasn't radical thinking to pre suppose that a season in the future may possibly be curtailed due to war, natural disaster, strike, civil unrest, fuel/food shortages or other force majeure

Quite incredible and I think a stain on scudamore’s legacy that he hadn’t covered it off .......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I have read that children’s immune systems are much more sensitive as they are still developing and as such, they fight off the novel virus much more efficiently than us older folk whose bodies are tuned to expecting to see virus’ we’ve seen before and mutations of them so our systems have become ‘lazy’ at spotting a novel virus’.

obviously it’s more technical than that explanation but you get the gist ....

That makes some sense. It's all a bit baffling and a little worrying. 

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

They HAVE to finish the season as somewhat unbelievably, it is not written into the rules what would happen in the event of a competition having to be cancelled. 

This means any decision other than completing the season is liable to legal challenge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939–40_Football_League

There's prior prescendent, but as you say, Liverpool won't accept no title at this stage, and the bottom 3 won't accept relegation until mathematically certain. Could get interesting if a difficult decision has to be made at some point.

10 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Option 3 sounds good for the PL. Imagine if we ended up winning the league by beating Liverpool in a play-off final despite being 29 points behind.

That would, IMO, be justice for Mane's dive at Anfield, would create enough outrage from Merseyside it would be visible from SPACE, and would set me up for banter for the rest of my ****ing life.

Do it.

Did you go to the game at the kp mate? 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the League should resume whenever it is feasible from a public health perspective and play the rest of the games.  Shorten or cancel the next season instead. This seems to me to be fairest and least controversial - no one can then say Liverpool didnt really win it etc.

Just now, whoareyaaa said:

I don't even think 1 is an option tbh we are 29 games in.

It really isnt but anything else is not true to the game. Someone will feel hard done in by a playoff and want to sue etc. You got to finish the season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaddyS said:

I think the players and the clubs will become bored within a few weeks days and will ask the league/FA to allow them to finish

the season by playing the remaining games behind closed doors. 

I am already.