Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Interesting to see the national league go ahead.....

Have to remember government haven’t put a ban on it yet. Whereas professional clubs in the top two tiers can afford testing when symptoms in players are visible, these clubs can’t. 

It’s probably the last levels of football where footballers have a sole salary. Leagues below are semi pro and people have to prioritise their main job. Realistically their leagues won’t complete either because grounds/stadiums from May to August are shared with cricket clubs etc 

The Euros will be postponed until next year; that is a certainty when UEFA meets on Tuesday. This will leave the summer free to finish leagues, which has to be a priority in my view for their integrity. I think that UEFA will need to make recommendations what happens across Europe given the CL, Europa League for next season.. No-one knows when we will be able to start playing again but it may mean a smaller CL, EL next season as normal season starts would likely have to be delayed.

I think declaring all seasons across Europe null and void seems unjust given leagues throughout Europe are 70% completed so relatively few game to be played. I can't see deciding current positions are final ones to be an option either as this would be open to too many legal challenges. Apart from top leagues in Europe, there are all the other leagues too.

All Cup competitions will probably have to be cancelled and I see no reason why this can't happen.

Finally, the 3rd April restart will not happen as virus won't be peaking much before then,and that is an optimistic view.

18 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Why would UEFA do that? All TV money is agreed for the next few years along with their sponsorship deals 

I understand that, but I have the feeling EUFA will want the biggest teams in the CL. If us, Wolves or even Sheff Utd begin to frequent the competition, it could have an effect on future sponsorship and TV deals. It’s a safe bet for EUFA to have the bigger clubs in their biggest competition. 

2 hours ago, Vacamion said:

"Soccer" in the UK is acceptable but a bit old school.

From Wiki:

Star Soccer was a weekly football highlights programme in the United Kingdom, which ran on Associated Television (ATV) from 1965 until 1983 when it was replaced by a networked The Big Match and spin-off The Big Match Live.[1][2][3

I remember Star Soccer on ITV.

Great show. Hugh Johns was the main commentator, best known for ‘ one nothing Villa/ Leicester/ Birmingham’

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I'm sure they can handle it, they're professionals and it entails a month or two of isolation. Pretty much every one of the squad members of Leicester is paid more in a week than I earn in a year.

The problem with delaying the transfer window is that a lot of contracts and loans expire in June, so you could see teams lose players (for example Sheff Utd losing Dean Henderson) and not being able to replace them.

One could give the players whos Contracts are Running out...Either 'Zero Hour Contracts'.   Or Simply give them  automatically a new 2-3 month Contract extension...It aint Rocket science.  If they are due Contract wise to join their new club..... So what!!!,if one loses a player...

If the 2019/20 season is still running, this could be easily settled,even now!!! The authorities of the various FAs agree,Completion of Any Signing or move,can only First Take place,and be recognized after the Completion of the 2019/20 season.That is more or less the Main reason for These summer windows...

But Why argue over tittle tattle...Until we know further developments on this Virus,und the Effects of how it will affect us,we are just at the beginning of a difficult,first Time journey,so all ideas Really are mute,no matter how interesting or crackpot.

I reckon you and many forum Member have made a Good Mix of suggestions.But they all Need to wait to see how the CV,of CVirus evolves and what Timings Need becomes available to allow those valued desisions to be made..!!!

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

We can only really be screwed if they deny liverpool the title and cant see that happening,  might have if us or wolves were top but not liverpool. Cant let them be champions and not stick with how the rest of the league places are.

I think we are in a lot stronger position than Leeds/West Brom. If the season doesn't finish and Liverpool get the title and we get Europe I can't really see how the other teams can complain. However if they try to relegate teams and put Leeds/West Brom up it will get messy. There is the option of increasing the numbers but I would be surprised if that happened.

Surely voiding the season sets a bad precedent. If this comes back next year as expected are we just going to keep voiding seasons? 

IMO we should just play the remaining games whenever we can. 

If that means we don’t start again until July and finish in September/ October so be it. 

It’s not like the weather makes a big difference in the UK. 

Give the title to Liverpool then you have to give C/L football to Leicester and Chelsea at the very least. If they void the season completely then I guess it’ll be as you we’re when we started this season. I just hope it gets completed in some form. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Surely voiding the season sets a bad precedent. If this comes back next year as expected are we just going to keep voiding seasons? 

IMO we should just play the remaining games whenever we can. 

If that means we don’t start again until July and finish in September/ October so be it. 

It’s not like the weather makes a big difference in the UK. 

Comes back next year as expected. What's the source for that?

1 hour ago, Walkers said:

I suppose there isnt an answer but if the season was void, what would happen to next years European spots?

From what I've been reading, they go to last year's qualifiers, so Spurs in 8th and 12 points behind us would nick our spot.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

From what I've been reading, they go to last year's qualifiers, so Spurs in 8th and 12 points behind us would nick our spot.  

The only absolutely amazing thing about this is liverpool not winning the tittle would be bloody brilliant

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Plenty of experts have mentioned this being around for years.

Coronavirus itself has been around for several decades. Obviously not as strong as this strain currently but it'd be a great shame if it died down and came back this time next year. Hopefully, in any case, countries around the world will be more prepared to combat it. 

The idea we could be stripped of our champions league place just to placate the richer clubs makes me feel sick.

They have to play the games at some stage. Finish the season even if it means next season is truncated. 

4 minutes ago, Tanya said:

The idea we could be stripped of our champions league place just to placate the richer clubs makes me feel sick.

They have to play the games at some stage. Finish the season even if it means next season is truncated. 

It would be even more sickening if they hand Liverpool the title... you can’t make a season null and void but still give them the title and no one else’s position stands. Just crazy. 

• Like 2