Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Shouldn't have even taken anywhere near this long to decide this.

I'm certainly understanding of mental illness, but this was planned and carried out with a "purpose". 

I really think people like this should be put in general population in prison and see how well he fares there. But of course, he'll be protected and spend his time in isolation, where he can write a book about himself.

Just for the sake of accuracy, autism isn't a mental illness it's a developmental condition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56266494

Amazon's first till-ess grocery store opens in London. 

Personally think it's a good idea if it works. No more faffing with a chatty asda checkout worker or having things lobbed at you from the Aldi bunch. Walk in, grab your stuffs, walk out. Easy. 

Long term could make shopping a bit cheaper if supermarkets can run stores without huge car parks or a zillion tills too. Wonder what the cost difference is between the electricity/tech upkeep bill and humans/space. Got to be a positive if they've tried it in the US and are having a go here surely. 

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56266494

Amazon's first till-ess grocery store opens in London. 

Personally think it's a good idea if it works. No more faffing with a chatty asda checkout worker or having things lobbed at you from the Aldi bunch. Walk in, grab your stuffs, walk out. Easy. 

Long term could make shopping a bit cheaper if supermarkets can run stores without huge car parks or a zillion tills too. Wonder what the cost difference is between the electricity/tech upkeep bill and humans/space. Got to be a positive if they've tried it in the US and are having a go here surely. 

Automated shopping? bit boring ain't it. I bet people will starting claing it'll make shopping cheaper next. As if.

Edited by yorkie1999

44 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Automated shopping? bit boring ain't it. I bet people will starting claing it'll make shopping cheaper next. As if.

Well, it could make it cheaper? Same way Aldi has changed the game by having smaller shops with fewer staff and fewer ranges of products. And it's not really automated shopping is it, you just skip the self scan or manned tills, saving time. :dunno:

13 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Shouldn't have even taken anywhere near this long to decide this.

I'm certainly understanding of mental illness, but this was planned and carried out with a "purpose". 

I really think people like this should be put in general population in prison and see how well he fares there. But of course, he'll be protected and spend his time in isolation, where he can write a book about himself.

Totally understand the metal health component but "nahhhh b" this guy just couldnt buy himself a fleshlight instead. Now he can be someones "bitch" in jail. The poor families who lost loved ones are who i care about the most (as i know most of us do).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Now arrested the copper with Murder and Indecent Exposure, instead of kidnap as it was last night. This story just gets weirder and weirder. Think we need to call Ted Hastings in.

Edited by SecretPro

The Sarah Everard news has knocked me for six a little. Only the other day my wife was telling me how she wanted to start going for walks on her midweek day off to benefit her mental health, but that she has never been comfortable, as an adult woman, to walk alone even in a fairly quiet country environment that we live.

I wouldn't think twice about it and regularly go for runs/walks in the middle of nowhere by myself as it's just second nature. Sincerely hope there's a better resolution than what seems to be unfolding.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Wow, the copper arrested worked for the force's parliamentary and diplomatic protection command. "His primary role was uniformed patrol duties of diplomatic premises".

The police is appealing to some people for the wrong reasons I guess.  Very sad to see this is now a murder charge.  Like everyone else I have been hoping she would turn up somewhere fit and well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

The Sarah Everard news has knocked me for six a little. Only the other day my wife was telling me how she wanted to start going for walks on her midweek day off to benefit her mental health, but that she has never been comfortable, as an adult woman, to walk alone even in a fairly quiet country environment that we live.

I wouldn't think twice about it and regularly go for runs/walks in the middle of nowhere by myself as it's just second nature. Sincerely hope there's a better resolution than what seems to be unfolding.  

It sounds a horrible case this and I can quite understand any woman feeling uncomfortable about walking alone in certain circumstances (nobody about, dark, rough area etc.).

But it's worth remembering how rare such attacks by strangers are. Some interesting info here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/homicideinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2019

- 671 homicides (widely defined) in UK in the year to March 2019, equivalent to 11 per million or about 1 in 100,000 people

- Men were twice as likely to be victims of homicide as women (as well as perpetrating most of them, of course)

- 38% of female homicide victims were killed by a partner/ex-partner....so your wife might be safer going for a country walk than staying indoors with you! :whistle:

- 27% of male homicide victims were killed by a friend/acquaintance.....so, in both cases, you're looking at very small numbers killed by a stranger

- In those stats, you also have to allow for homicides in exceptional events such as terrorist attacks....and I presume that a fair number of homicides are also linked to drugs and gangs....young men in rough areas stabbing one another etc.

(Obviously, I'm aware that there are risks other than homicide - especially for women)

• Like 2

Just now, StanSP said:

Harrowing reading about it. Apparently they're digging up the garden of this officer? 

Digging up his garden and searching some woods nearby. Presumeably the co-accused is his wife. The officer has been identified in some press. 

37 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

It sounds a horrible case this and I can quite understand any woman feeling uncomfortable about walking alone in certain circumstances (nobody about, dark, rough area etc.).

But it's worth remembering how rare such attacks by strangers are. Some interesting info here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/homicideinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2019

- 671 homicides (widely defined) in UK in the year to March 2019, equivalent to 11 per million or about 1 in 100,000 people

- Men were twice as likely to be victims of homicide as women (as well as perpetrating most of them, of course)

- 38% of female homicide victims were killed by a partner/ex-partner....so your wife might be safer going for a country walk than staying indoors with you! :whistle:

- 27% of male homicide victims were killed by a friend/acquaintance.....so, in both cases, you're looking at very small numbers killed by a stranger

- In those stats, you also have to allow for homicides in exceptional events such as terrorist attacks....and I presume that a fair number of homicides are also linked to drugs and gangs....young men in rough areas stabbing one another etc.

(Obviously, I'm aware that there are risks other than homicide - especially for women)

In the grand scheme of things homicide is an incredibly rare event and it's a small proportion of homicides that are genuinely commited by a stranger.  You are much more likely to be murdered either by your partner or as a result of being associated with a criminal gang.

Instances where women are murdered whilst out walking are incredibly rare and much rarer than say 20 years ago.  Advances in investigative techniques makes it very, very difficult to become a serial killer and lots of these types of murderers have already been convicted of some sort of trigger offence.  The most dangerous of those are much better managed by police/probation than they ever have been.

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yep, absolutely. She and I are fully aware that it's incredibly unlikely to happen, but she's always been a worrier in pretty much every respect and this sort of story only exacerbates that for her, and i'm sure many others too. As a strong feminist she (and I) are also depressed, but not surprised, to see the usual 'what was she doing out alone' comments, as though a woman should have to consider that something as god awful as this may happen to them on a walk from A to B. 

As you mention, also, I think the bigger concern has always been the non-homicide crime(s). I read a tweet earlier by a woman along the lines of reciting an incident where she was followed home by a stranger who asked for her number, which then lead to her walking elsewhere rather than straight home so that said person didn't know her home address. Of course 99.9% of these instances are just awkward and uncomfortable encounters with odd people, but it does make me grateful to not be a young woman. 

As an aside, the statistics around women being killed by partners/ex partners never ceases to depress me yet there only seems to be a select number of MPs who have ever tackled the issue. I know Jess Phillips has been quite outspoken on it, but plenty more really should be said/done. 

• Like 2

The investigation in depth, with all the officers details. Also been arrested for exposing himself to another woman in an unrelated incident. Rumours starting to circulate on social media that there are other missing women from the area in recent months.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9346175/amp/Serving-Met-Police-officer-father-two-48-arrested-disappearance-Sarah-Everard.html?__twitter_impression=true

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Fascinating read that though having seen the data on perpetrators I am now scared of my Nan. 

a4cba150

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Fascinating read that though having seen the data on perpetrators I am now scared of my Nan. 

That's a peculiar statistical oddity in your graph - elderly women featuring more than 55-64-year-olds.

Maybe just a statistical blip that there happened to be very few perpetrators in the latter age group that year?

Relatively low numbers of female perpetrators overall - and only that 55-64 tranches seems out of kilter?

If the same pattern occurs every year, someone should ask questions........maybe older men retiring and driving their wives to murder by being around the house? :dunno: