Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 hours ago, simFox said:

I don't think there are any conspiracys. But what the government are doing now is destroying our economy, though things are getting better.

However jumping into a local lockdown every week is not something I agree with and is just pushing people beyond their ability to recover.

As for the control thing. I'm against any kind of infringement on our freedoms. It also brings out the curtain twitchers and those idiot community enforcement types, the type of person who enforces "the rules" no matter how trivial. The most amazing thing to me is just how quickly people are willing to throw those freedoms away in the name of safety, but what's even more astonishing is their willingness to continue. The most frightening thing is just how easy it was for a government to action and enforce.

One could argue the lockdown stopped the virus and I would agree. But I would argue that we could have been equally effective using social distancing and increased test, trace and isolate and saved more of our economy. This is proved out through Sweden and quite a few US States who didn't use lockdowns. The curves have all been very similar. 

We needed cool calm steady and strong leadership. What we got was hysterical knee jerk reactive decisions and we are still getting them.

Leaving aside for the moment whether or not a lockdown in the UK is necessary (frankly I don’t know and have lost track of what current restrictions are over there), do you feel the same about rules stopping people drunk driving? It’s a similar situation where one person’s freedom to drive home from the pub pissed may cost someone else their life.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

17 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Leaving aside for the moment whether or not a lockdown in the UK is necessary (frankly I don’t know and have lost track of what current restrictions are over there), do you feel the same about rules stopping people drunk driving? It’s a similar situation where one person’s freedom to drive home from the pub pissed may cost someone else their life.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

The former, seeing as the process to prevent them en masse is seemingly much easier than the latter.

It's amazing what convoluted reasoning people will come up with as an excuse to put others lives in danger simply because they think it's their right to do so.

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

The former, seeing as the process to prevent them en masse is seemingly much easier than the latter.

It's amazing what convoluted reasoning people will come up with as an excuse to put others lives in danger simply because they think it's their right to do so.

You might have missed the point of the post ....... .........or perhaps you didn’t .... 

52 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You might have missed the point of the post ....... .........or perhaps you didn’t .... 

The point seems to be that drunk driving isn't actually that big of a problem, ditto people not taking precautions against Covid, because other problems are worse. That was what I was answering, anyway - if that isn't right, I'd be happy to hear other interpretations.

56 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The point seems to be that drunk driving isn't actually that big of a problem, ditto people not taking precautions against Covid, because other problems are worse. That was what I was answering, anyway - if that isn't right, I'd be happy to hear other interpretations.

It’s not a serious twitter account lol 

• Haha 2

Some people have gone insane. Walking through a jitty a woman came up, looked petrified to see me and asked me to stop. She then pinned herself up against the wall facing away from me and then said I could go through. She must have a greater chance of winning the lottery than getting seriously ill from that encounter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had a chat with a nurse last night after football, who worked at Preston Hospital during the worst months. He didn't say anything new but was good to hear first hand experience. Obviously April/May were horrific, he said you'd go into work in the morning but you'd be lucky if half of those on his ward were alive after lunch. The use of ventilators were making things worse during the peak, I'm no expert but should that have been seen earlier considering the amount being used across Europe at the time? I'm assuming not and i guess there wasn't an alternative treatment at the time. He said the steroid drug they are now using has been a game changer, people are still dying but and hospital admissions are generally the very old or those with very weak immune systems. 

Nothing we haven't heard before, but was reassuring to me hear that treatment pathways are so much better now and hopefully can fight off any second wave that might come. 

12 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Some people have gone insane. Walking through a jitty a woman came up, looked petrified to see me and asked me to stop. She then pinned herself up against the wall facing away from me and then said I could go through. She must have a greater chance of winning the lottery than getting seriously ill from that encounter.

It does sound a bit rapey mate

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Had a chat with a nurse last night after football, who worked at Preston Hospital during the worst months. He didn't say anything new but was good to hear first hand experience. Obviously April/May were horrific, he said you'd go into work in the morning but you'd be lucky if half of those on his ward were alive after lunch. The use of ventilators were making things worse during the peak, I'm no expert but should that have been seen earlier considering the amount being used across Europe at the time? I'm assuming not and i guess there wasn't an alternative treatment at the time. He said the steroid drug they are now using has been a game changer, people are still dying but and hospital admissions are generally the very old or those with very weak immune systems. 

Nothing we haven't heard before, but was reassuring to me hear that treatment pathways are so much better now and hopefully can fight off any second wave that might come. 

Yeah I’m away with an ICU nurse at the minute and he has said similar re ventilators but not re admissions.

He has told me multiple stories of people with no underlying issues being really poorly with this. 

40 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Why would someone that afraid, even attempt to walk through a confined space? 

10 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Why would someone that afraid, even attempt to walk through a confined space? 

I’m embarrassed when I think of my runs back in April. My normal 3 mile run was getting closer to 3 and a quarter mile purely because I was zig zagging over the road every time I seen somebody on my side of the road. I agree about the comment mind.  Somebody that worried now is best leaving the cut trough jittys alone.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

I’m embarrassed when I think of my runs back in April. My normal 3 mile run was getting closer to 3 and a quarter mile purely because I was zig zagging over the road every time I seen somebody on my side of the road. I agree about the comment mind.  Somebody that worried now is best leaving the cut trough jittys alone.  

I mean fair enough if it’s their route home or whatever, but don’t expect not to bump into someone and then tell them they can’t pass lol

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Think you got a bit whooshed there.

Wint is a popular parody account. It was meant to be ironic.

10 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I always get this about rules. 

In my view their needs to some careful consideration between quality of life and safety. The trade off with masks are affecting too many people and too often with negative affects on QoL when considering the intended outcome.

Drink driving rules really only affect those who like drink driving or even just drinking, so it's infrequent. Besides, most reasonable people wouldn't want to drive when drinking, there's a time and place for both.

16 minutes ago, simFox said:

In my view their needs to some careful consideration between quality of life and safety. The trade off with masks are affecting too many people and too often with negative affects on QoL when considering the intended outcome.

Drink driving rules really only affect those who like drink driving or even just drinking, so it's infrequent. Besides, most reasonable people wouldn't want to drive when drinking, there's a time and place for both.

What exactly are these huge effects that masks are having on people's QoL? 

Other than my nephew who is exempt from wearing one for medical reasons which is fine as people have been given those exemptions, everyone else I know got used to them within 10 minutes and doesn't even think about it anymore.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, simFox said:

What are the QoL trade offs with masks though? From what I understand anyone with medical reasons that isn’t slight discomfort has medical exemptions.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Other than my nephew who is exempt from wearing one for medical reasons which is fine as people have been given those exemptions, everyone else I know got used to them within 10 minutes and doesn't even think about it anymore.

This exactly. Mountain out of a molehill. We’ve got the same types over here now in Melbourne, so while the vast majority are doing their best to eliminate the virus and get back to some sort of normality, the idiot minority are putting all the gains at risk.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sampson said:

The females complain masks give them spots.

Poor,very poor society,political,Media,allowing teachers Surveys to Take prominence ...called Reporting and tact....

Telling us that School pupils, are Running 3 months behind.....

What a fked up society..!!!   No Child is Running behind,we have a exemptorary educational situation running through an unique suspended system.

Why with such twaddle,do we have to put parents & more importantly the Children through an unwarranted unnecessay pressure cooker of emotions.

If our leaders in These relevant organisations & todays politicians,cant take this in their stride, re-organise our present &  future Childrens education,without

Making a big issue out of it and creating unnecessary difficulties & situations....Then over the last 20-50years their very  own univerity & society education has been nothing Short of pathetic & totally inadequate. They are Not the People we want in these positions..!!

Its 2020....with arrogant braggers, telling us how honest & Value for their positions they are...

So far in these last few years society relevant issues in our major Organisation & platforms have fell terrible short in the simple wise Strategies forethought in all Major issues,not One coming to a satisfactory conclusion.  even an average educated child  could put better Solutions & results on the table........

The major Problem, politics has shot too far forward when running the basic affairs of good standard Basic Country & its population rights & needs..

The UK are still allowing politics & incompetence to get in the Way of its present & future Childrens education....

Edited by fuchsntf