Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Couple of lads I know have deleted all their news apps earlier in the week, said were fed up of the constant negativity and that their mental health is much better for doing it. If anyone is struggling, this might help you out:thumbup:

I did this at the start of the pandemic and it really helped along with Facebook. Seeing negativity day in, day out is going to affect mental health of some fairly easily, like me. Best thing I did was just concentrate on what you can control in your immediate surroundings...and talk!

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Couple of lads I know have deleted all their news apps earlier in the week, said were fed up of the constant negativity and that their mental health is much better for doing it. If anyone is struggling, this might help you out:thumbup:

I know of three people of various ages having serious psychiatric intervention because of psychosis that’s covid related. They are unrecognisable to friends and family having had endless tests but won’t go outside and believe they have it or are spreading it or are being watched by covid police. Sounds crazy and it is but all of them are scared, delusional and confused and no longer trust. One has been admitted to a mental health facility twice. None of the three had ever had any significant mental health issues at all prior to lockdown. One is mid forties, another sixty odd and the last early seventies.

16 minutes ago, Nick said:

I know of three people of various ages having serious psychiatric intervention because of psychosis that’s covid related. They are unrecognisable to friends and family having had endless tests but won’t go outside and believe they have it or are spreading it or are being watched by covid police. Sounds crazy and it is but all of them are scared, delusional and confused and no longer trust. One has been admitted to a mental health facility twice. None of the three had ever had any significant mental health issues at all prior to lockdown. One is mid forties, another sixty odd and the last early seventies.

Didn't realise how bad it had got with my mum til I took her out for dinner. Head darting around like a trapped badger even though there wasn't anyone within 4-5metres of us. 

A lot of people are going to struggle with "normal" after all this is done, that is for sure. 

• Like 1

On 26/08/2020 at 10:40, leicsmac said:

It's a fair worry. But it's reasonably odds-on that at least a reasonably effective vaccine will be available within the next 6-12 months at the outside.

I’m hearing sooner than that.

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The constant 'possible second wave' headlines have been bad on my mental health I must say. If it happens, it happens but they need to stop bigging it up with glee especially when there's no evidence to support it. 

15 minutes ago, Nick said:

I’m hearing sooner than that.

It looks like the FDA have set the date of October 22nd for a decision on the emergency authorisation of the Moderna vaccine so I'm assuming the Oxford one will be possibly available from around the same time as those are the leading two vaccine candidates.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I wonder if you are one of those Muppets who stand up and queue at the boarding gate when you get a whiff of check in staff...and end up standing there like a pillock.for half an hour

No.

I've worked every day this year that I was supposed to. My work load has increased due to the pandemic. My work place has no extra measures in place to enable social distancing and never has. My work colleagues and I have been working constantly at 110% for 6 months.

You?

Yeah, thought so.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

12A436E6-B0AB-4B0B-ADBE-E68EDFC9C6AF.jpeg

So true.

My youngest has had three weeks of school in the last 8 months. Older one is back on Thursday and youngest one back the following Monday.

Celebrations to start around 08.46 a week on Monday, then...    :yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Will this lead to a huge spike of cases in London? Should find out in a fortnight.

Probably not. No spikes after BLM protests, Liverpool title celebrations, Coventry promotion gatherings, the Tommy Robinson march, the statue protests, multiple beach gatherings nor any after VE day either.

• Like 1

On 24/08/2020 at 07:06, simFox said:

The broadcast media, which did such a good job of creating fear in the population, continues to be relentless in its pessimism. Just imagine what it would be like if they allowed the true picture to emerge:  

It’s the BBC Six O’Clock News and Health Editor Hugh Pym is updating Sophie Raworth on the Covid-19 pandemic.

Sophie: So, Hugh, we’ve seen another rise in cases today?  

Hugh: Yes, Sophie, there were 1,040 reported daily cases in England and Wales.

Sophie: Gosh, that’s quite an uptick.

Hugh: Well, it sounds a lot, Sophie, but we have to bear in mind that we are testing a lot more people so we are going to find more evidence of infection. Over 122,000 tests were processed, the most ever in a single day – 1,000 positives out of 122,000 tests is really very small.

Sophie: Still, it’s a major cause for concern generally?

Hugh: Well, not really. The PCR test is not totally reliable. It’s coming up with quite a lot of false positives. What the viewers probably don’t realise is the test can detect remnants of the virus. So someone who had Covid back in July, say, could be recorded today as a positive test, but he or she is now fully recovered.

Sophie (checking her notes): But we do have the very real threat of more local lockdowns in places like Bedford because there are these spikes in Covid cases?

Hugh (sighs): Well, they’re not really spikes, Sophie. A lot of healthy younger people are getting Covid now and they don’t have any symptoms at all. They don’t even know they’ve been infected. But if they test positive they’re added to the list. But a positive test really only becomes a “case” when someone gets sick enough that they need to be admitted to hospital.

Sophie: And how many cases are being admitted to hospital, Hugh?

Hugh (looks sheepish): Not very many to be honest with you.

Sophie: But we’re still in the middle of a global pandemic?

Hugh: Ah, but are we? There are 141,000 hospital beds in England, Sophie. Today, just 599 of those beds are occupied by patients with Covid-19.

Sophie: You’re kidding me!

Hugh: No, I’m not. We have 1,257 hospitals in total so rather a large number of hospitals don’t have a single Covid case.

Sophie: So why aren’t hospitals fully open to non-Covid patients, Hugh?

Hugh: That’s a really good question, Sophie. Could some NHS managers be saving money by keeping wards closed? The Department of Health doesn’t have a clue what’s going on, as per usual. And, of course, a lot of doctors have been working from home in the south of France and they can’t get back because of the quarantine.

Sophie (frantically consults notes): What about the deaths, though, Hugh? They’re really really bad.  

Hugh: Sorry to disappoint, but NHS England reported just two Covid-related hospital deaths today. Wales and Scotland haven’t had any Covid deaths for quite some time. In fact, deaths in the UK have been below average for the past seven weeks now. It’s starting to look like deaths in 2020 will be no higher than they were in 2019.

Sophie: Then how could the Government possibly justify keeping all the social distancing measures and imposing lockdowns?

Hugh: Er… I think they’re worried that if they tell the public the truth it will be hard to regain control.    

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/sitting-comfortably-not-six-oclock-news/amp/

BBC is following the government agenda on this, so this isn't surprising.  

On 26/08/2020 at 13:53, Leicester_Loyal said:

It feels like people have been saying 'just a few more weeks' or 'just a little while longer for ages now. I'm ok with the current restrictions, but they shouldn't get any harsher than they already are. Not many deaths for a while now and people are still actively mixing indoors etc.

For me the only data I consider important now is the hospital figures, they remain very low for both case load and deaths.  If they start going up then its an issue.

Someone posted a graph of estimated Pillar B case load if we were doing the testing what we doing now back in March/April and it made the current cases look like a mole at the bottom of a hill.

On 28/08/2020 at 22:00, Steve_Walsh5 said:

With Leicester still under lockdown for another 2 weeks will that delay children going back to school? 

If it’s that bad that people can’t go & sit in a relatives garden surely you can’t have a classroom full of children mixing.

Wont have any effect on Children going back, but in lockdown areas masks are compulsory for kids in corridors.

This is what really got my attention, it really does show what the government think of Leicester.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has this morning announced a new payment scheme for people who are unable to go to work or work from home if they catch Covid-19 and live in "high risk" areas.

The payments will be available to people in Blackburn with Darwen, Pendle and Oldham from September 1 but not in Leicester.

So essentially on that basis we not a high risk area, so why is there restrictions?  The press if they have any pride in their work should be jumping all over that.

13 hours ago, Shane said:

Thousands of protestors in London today

Just really wished people used this energy in a more constructive manner. 

I honestly believed this pandemic might make community return. In reality it’s made the extremes exacerbated and folk get wrapped into theories of the absurd. 

All that human energy wasted on that rather than something positive for the human race collectively 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Just really wished people used this energy in a more constructive manner. 

I honestly believed this pandemic might make community return. In reality it’s made the extremes exacerbated and folk get wrapped into theories of the absurd. 

All that human energy wasted on that rather than something positive for the human race collectively 

Such as? I can’t think of one thing they could do

The annoying thing about protests is that what we are currently doing by socially distancing / wearing masks indoors and gradually opening things up to boost the economy combined with local lockdowns where necessary is working in terms of cases increasing slightly but hospitalisations/deaths remaining very low.

Dont see the logic in protesting so I'm happy to hear the other side of the argument out of curiosity.

Edited by Nalis

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think if they suspect COVID it goes down as a COVID death, but the person obviously hadn't done a test or hadn't tested positive. It's been that way for a while now, very strange!

I though there needed to be a positive Covid test within 28 days of the death for it to be recorded as such ??

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I though there needed to be a positive Covid test within 28 days of the death for it to be recorded as such ??

'Deaths of patients who have died in hospitals in England where a positive test result for COVID-19 was not received but COVID-19 is mentioned on their death certificate split by region. All deaths are recorded against the date of death rather than the day the deaths were announced.'

That's the explanation for it mate.