Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

18 minutes ago, Dunge said:

The threat of outsourcing is an abyss that we all dangle over anyway. I don’t think WFH or not changes that greatly.

I do see your point about London wages. I appreciate it could spark a widespread redistribution of wealth within London and London workers (although I can’t think that any other cities would see the same effect). I.e. London workers work from home, so they commute less, so their bosses feel they don’t need to pay them so much. But then prices in London surely have to drop because the same money on the ground isn’t there; perhaps London house prices or rental prices fall as a result and some homeowners and landlords lose out because of that. However, if that’s the bubble then I can’t see a great justification in pushing people back into London offices in order to protect it. Besides, if market forces demand it to secure the adjudged Best Talent then I believe wages will remain relatively high. If market forces don’t demand it then those wages are doomed anyway, regardless of WFH.

Plus - if we’re serious about looking to make environmental changes to combat climate change, then this would probably be a relatively easy win in the great scheme of things. The general populace wouldn’t take much persuasion.

Do you really think the government wants a large percentage of people working from home when they rake in 70p per litre of fuel sold, and that includes all the diesel used in trains, taxis and buses and probably a large amount of tax collected through electricity used, that's why they're pushing for people to return to their offices. We're all saving money and doing things cheaper, but that doesn't help a government that relies on people spending money on a daily basis. I bet the next thing to encourage people back into the cities to work will be some bullshit about not having the insurance that working in an office provides, or the lack of security when working from home. 

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Do you really think the government wants a large percentage of people working from home when they rake in 70p per litre of fuel sold, and that includes all the diesel used in trains, taxis and buses and probably a large amount of tax collected through electricity used, that's why they're pushing for people to return to their offices. We're all saving money and doing things cheaper, but that doesn't help a government that relies on people spending money on a daily basis. I bet the next thing to encourage people back into the cities to work will be some bullshit about not having the insurance that working in an office provides, or the lack of security when working from home. 

Everyone can afford to buy a V8 instead 👍

30 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I reckon the government is more concerned about the City of London than this. It feels a very London problem. After all, the less commuting there is, the less battering the roads take and the required transport budget goes down. And any money they make from taxes like VAT can be picked up elsewhere. The “spare” money will be spent somewhere else.

57 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

e31ae9830a5584797c3dc52a4ab8467e.jpg

Is anyone actually bothered or interested in what these supposed Leicester restrictions are anymore? 

The shops, hairdressers and hospitality sector are all open right? We can travel unrestricted, yeah?

I neither know nor care and certainly my (mundane) life doesn't seem any different from.collesgues of mine in Cov and London. 

11 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Is anyone actually bothered or interested in what these supposed Leicester restrictions are anymore? 

The shops, hairdressers and hospitality sector are all open right? We can travel unrestricted, yeah?

I neither know nor care and certainly my (mundane) life doesn't seem any different from.collesgues of mine in Cov and London. 

And this is why lockdown continues.

9 hours ago, MonmoreStef said:

Yes plenty of plus sides to people working from home.  Unfortunately, however, just as many negatives for the economy. Pret A Manger the latest to lay off staff.  That’s another few thousand to be out of work along with several more thousand in other retail outlets.  Working from home will kill town centres and eventually the affects of this will be felt further along the chain.  Such as say, banking and insurance who will see less customers taking out mortgages and insurance policy’s, as they can’t afford them now they aren’t working. And at some stage companies will realise they can further save their costs, with this working from home policy, by getting staff from countries where wages are far lower than the UK wages. It’s a spiral that will eventually hit us all. I’m sure we all love working from home and being able to wank three times a day and shit in our own toilet but we need to accept the fun can’t last forever.

It's only negative for the economy in its present, or more accurately pre-Covid, form but it makes little sense to hold onto that because it's painful to change. This is what happens, exogenous shocks come along which lead economies to be structurally unsound and they have to change. So instead of the government trying to hold onto what was, a model of work that dates back to victorian times, they should be doing everything possible to support the restructuring of the economy. 

I actually think many town centres will thrive with WFH, for example any commuter town in the London orbit. There's scope for getting people back into town centres during the day and spending there rather than cities cannibalising it. Instead of going for a coffee with someone from work, go for a drink with a friend. A working lunch where you live rather than in a city. More leisure time so you shop more locally and bin off the supermarket. Mobile vans to serve WFHers instead of Pret's to serve commuters. Instead of going to a WeWork in London, pop into a co-working space in your local town and enjoy the networking benefits. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

It's only negative for the economy in its present, or more accurately pre-Covid, form but it makes little sense to hold onto that because it's painful to change. This is what happens, exogenous shocks come along which lead economies to be structurally unsound and they have to change. So instead of the government trying to hold onto what was, a model of work that dates back to victorian times, they should be doing everything possible to support the restructuring of the economy. 

I actually think many town centres will thrive with WFH, for example any commuter town in the London orbit. There's scope for getting people back into town centres during the day and spending there rather than cities cannibalising it. Instead of going for a coffee with someone from work, go for a drink with a friend. A working lunch where you live rather than in a city. More leisure time so you shop more locally and bin off the supermarket. Mobile vans to serve WFHers instead of Pret's to serve commuters. Instead of going to a WeWork in London, pop into a co-working space in your local town and enjoy the networking benefits. 

Totally agree. 

I worry for town, a place I love (and hate in some ways),  in its current form. Dying on its arse.  But Anstey centre right now is thriving. And i.expect.syston, Wigston, Oadby, blaby etc are too

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8673623/How-people-died-Covid-19-area-Interactive-map-shows-victims-postcode.html

Interactive map here to check death statistics in your area. 0 in mine for the whole of July, 10 in total from March.

Only 1 in total for me. If I am impacted by a local lockdown (in Birmingham), I really will be frustrated.

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Nope, didn't even know there was a review until someone mentioned it in my group chat a few minutes ago (Not that I'm in a restricted area).

8 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I wonder if you are one of those Muppets who stand up and queue at the boarding gate when you get a whiff of check in staff...and end up standing there like a pillock.for half an hour

Sorry but this made me laugh lol

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Only 6 for my area of Bedford. 0 in June. 

Just now, rachhere said:

Only 1 in total for me. If I am impacted by a local lockdown (in Birmingham), I really will be frustrated.

Well you're both less likely to die than me, congratulations.

Louise Hampton, who works for Care UK, posted a video to Facebook on Wednesday in which she claimed her service had been "dead" throughout the Covid-19 pandemic and she had done nothing at all.

Brandishing her NHS badge and a certificate signed by a Care UK manager that thanked her for making a difference to patients, Ms Hampton said: "Apparently, I worked really hard during Covid."

She then went on a rant peppered with profanity and claimed that she had done no work "because our service was dead. We weren't getting the calls. It was dead. Covid is a load of ...

Just what the nutters needed. Wtf. :mellow:

7 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

With Leicester still under lockdown for another 2 weeks will that delay children going back to school? 

If it’s that bad that people can’t go & sit in a relatives garden surely you can’t have a classroom full of children mixing.

I don't know for sure but I think they'll let kids go back, but obviously relatives can't mix etc. All to try and keep the 'R' rate down.

1 hour ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

With Leicester still under lockdown for another 2 weeks will that delay children going back to school? 

If it’s that bad that people can’t go & sit in a relatives garden surely you can’t have a classroom full of children mixing.

They will be allowed back - secondary pupils will have to wear face coverings