Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

7 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

For reference, I know 2 people that have died from Coronavirus, and directly from it. Granted not friends or family but people I have worked with. I have close family who are nurses who have witnessed people suffering from it and were rushed off their feet in APril and early May because of it.

A lot of momentum gathering behind people denying the virus and/or underestimating it.

I am all for getting back to work and getting back to normal but I also see absolutely no harm in taking precautions with distancing and wearing a mask in shops etc. It's not a big deal and could prevent you or someone you know from losing a loved one.

Agreed. There can be safeguards put in place. 

My post was aimed at those who believe the disease doesn't exist or is government sponsored as a means of control. Not those who want to seek normality. 

4 hours ago, Lionheart10 said:

The death rate for the whole period now stands at 0.063% ( 42,000 people have died out of a population of 66 million.) They estimate about treble that amount will die from other illnesses not treated during the last 6 months!!

That's the population death rate but the actual infection death rate is a lot higher, in fact it's estimated at around 0.8-1% based on antibody studies. If you let covid loose on the whole population until 80% herd immunity was reached then you'd be looking at 400,000-500,000 deaths.

5 hours ago, Lionheart10 said:

The death rate for the whole period now stands at 0.063% ( 42,000 people have died out of a population of 66 million.) They estimate about treble that amount will die from other illnesses not treated during the last 6 months!!

And out of that 42000, how many died because of the virus, not died with it. No doubt no one can actually give an answer to that but I would have thought that a rough estimate would be people who have died on icu wards.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

That's the population death rate but the actual infection death rate is a lot higher, in fact it's estimated at around 0.8-1% based on antibody studies. If you let covid loose on the whole population until 80% herd immunity was reached then you'd be looking at 400,000-500,000 deaths.

What’s the actual infection death rate?

1 hour ago, lcfc278 said:

And the government is encouraging businesses to open back up and get people back in to the office, the masks are to try and limit the spread of the virus (which they are proven to do so) - the protests just seem like an excuse for conspiracy theorists to go mad against the government for no reason

I think the government didn’t exactly realise where all the money in the economy comes from.

16 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

What’s the actual infection death rate?

I can't find the article but on average it comes to 0.9% globally in the systematic review they did. However the infection death rate is a pointless statistic because under 50's have a virtually 0% chance of dying whereas it was 10%+ for over 75's. You'll find poorer countries, especially those in Africa will have tiny death rates yet the likes of ourselves and Italy who have old populations will be a lot higher. 

2 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

And the government is encouraging businesses to open back up and get people back in to the office, the masks are to try and limit the spread of the virus (which they are proven to do so) - the protests just seem like an excuse for conspiracy theorists to go mad against the government for no reason

Governments don’t gain from this pandemic. They have seen their economies fall off a cliff (directly impacting the majority in our House of Commons) 

I fully expect that opinion will change on the incumbent govts not during the pandemic but the aftermath and financial implications. 

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Governments don’t gain from this pandemic. They have seen their economies fall off a cliff (directly impacting the majority in our House of Commons) 

I fully expect that opinion will change on the incumbent govts not during the pandemic but the aftermath and financial implications. 

Exactly! But the way some of these tin foil hat wearers speak you would think the government actually want the country to fall to ruins.

Edited by lcfc278

36 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

And out of that 42000, how many died because of the virus, not died with it. No doubt no one can actually give an answer to that but I would have thought that a rough estimate would be people who have died on icu wards.

There was concerns after that ventilators was making it worse in some cases and we're not actually needed..

There is also a study about exosomes with fear causing the body to react in ways it normally wouldn't which could lead to other illness worsening 

No one really knows what's what which is concerning considering we are creating a vaccine 

7 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Very interesting stuff and well sourced 

I read about this the other week, haven't gone into too much detail about it, but they reckon that only certain people pass it on. The figure I saw wasn't as high as 90% but it was probably an average or something, think it was more like 70%.

4 more deaths announced today, all from a backlog, 3 of them with no positive test:dunno:

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

And out of that 42000, how many died because of the virus, not died with it. No doubt no one can actually give an answer to that but I would have thought that a rough estimate would be people who have died on icu wards

the dashboard statistics are designed for fast reporting when the death certificate may not be available.

Better but slower are the ONS statistics.

the  number with death certificates written by the doctor mentioning covid19   52k. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/latest

There are strict rules about death certificates defined in section 4.1 here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/877302/guidance-for-doctors-completing-medical-certificates-of-cause-of-death-covid-19.pdf

There is an example of what you might find for a covid19  death on page 7.

Just watched the news about this TUI flight.

Had lunch with a friend on Friday, she flew back from Northern Italy a few weeks ago. The plane was delayed arriving and they got the passengers off and boarded those who were waiting straight away. Turned around and flew back. I’m guessing the crew have a limit on hours. 

No cleaning of the plane at all. Everyone was wiping down there own seats, trays and seatbelts. 

This is what is putting me off public transport and hotels for all their claims about improved cleaning standards etc. At some point somewhere someone is liable to be up against the clock and corners will be cut. 

10 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Very interesting stuff and well sourced 

Makes some sense - I guess it means that the person who tests positive may not need to isolate but their family members and recent close contacts most definitely do 

I doubt there is a one size fits all answer in any case 

2 hours ago, Livid said:

Had lunch with a friend on Friday, she flew back from Northern Italy a few weeks ago. The plane was delayed arriving and they got the passengers off and boarded those who were waiting straight away. Turned around and flew back. I’m guessing the crew have a limit on hours. 

No cleaning of the plane at all. Everyone was wiping down there own seats, trays and seatbelts. 

This is what is putting me off public transport and hotels for all their claims about improved cleaning standards etc. At some point somewhere someone is liable to be up against the clock and corners will be cut. 

I'm not surprised. All these supposed enhanced cleaning regimes are pie in the sky stuff. 

It's well meaning, but unrealistic. To decontaminate a seat properly would perhaps take five solid minutes of rigorous cleaning. Plus innumerable clean wipes so germs aren't simply being spread from one part of the seat to the other. 

It's just guff to make us all feel better. 

I don't see a problem though. Just keep your hands and fingers away eyes/nose/mouth...which as a long time germ/clean hands freak anyway, is second nature to me

11 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm not surprised. All these supposed enhanced cleaning regimes are pie in the sky stuff. 

It's well meaning, but unrealistic. To decontaminate a seat properly would perhaps take five solid minutes of rigorous cleaning. Plus innumerable clean wipes so germs aren't simply being spread from one part of the seat to the other. 

It's just guff to make us all feel better. 

I don't see a problem though. Just keep your hands and fingers away eyes/nose/mouth...which as a long time germ/clean hands freak anyway, is second nature to me

You don’t half see some odd behaviour as a result of what’s going on though. 

I watched an older bloke trying to press a pedestrian crossing button with his elbow (fair enough). Turned out he couldn’t manage it, so after wiping his elbow on button for a good 5 seconds, he used the palm side of his index finger. 

I was baffled as to why he didn’t just use his knuckle of his little finger or something similar that isn’t likely to end up near his mouth/eyes/nose.

That’s only one example of what I’ve seen but it shows how little common sense some people have.

7 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I watched an older bloke trying to press a pedestrian crossing button with his elbow (fair enough). Turned out he couldn’t manage it, so after wiping his elbow on button for a good 5 seconds, he used the palm side of his index finger. 

I was baffled as to why he didn’t just use his knuckle of his little finger or something similar that isn’t likely to end up near his mouth/eyes/nose.

That’s only one example of what I’ve seen but it shows how little common sense some people have.

Lol. I'm a bit guilty of the occasional eccentric touching behaviour, using a crooked finger knuckle to press for traffic lights or McDonald's electronic order screens (which by the way, were being used by scores of people today... without.cleaning in-between) 

....and me being just over six foot, I push and pull bog door handles at the top where few.people.reach to 😂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I have a pencil attached to my forehead for just such an occasion.

Just now, Paninistickers said:

Lol. I'm a bit guilty of the occasional eccentric touching behaviour, using a crooked finger knuckle to press for traffic lights or McDonald's electronic order screens (which by the way, were being used by scores of people today... without.cleaning in-between) 

....and me being just over six foot, I push and pull bog door handles at the top where few.people.reach to 😂

I think we have a lot in common lol

But in all seriousness, sanitising your hands isn’t always doable until you get back to your car, desk, etc. So I’d always avoid touching something potentially dirty before having to touch my own door handle, door keys etc. Not because of CV19, but because people can be disgusting. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lionator said:

Where did you get that from?

Ferguson gave a "worst case scenario" which was based on is doing nothing, no social distancing and going about normally. It was also shown to be a very flawed bit of logic used in his calculation. There are many publications discussing it. He was an idiot and you'd do better not to parrot his debunked figures.

I think they ran his code to predict Swedens outcome using exactly what they actually did and the projections were just laughable.

https://www.iedm.org/the-flawed-covid-19-model-that-locked-down-canada/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Livid said:

If people want to go out the country on holiday, it means they are prepared for the risks involved both with catching the virus and having to self isolate. Why panic about having to rush back in the event of a country going on the isolation list if they were knew there was a risk both to themselves and others. Surely no one can expect it to be safe on a plane where even if someone has a nut allergy, nuts are banned for everyone.