Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

What are the QoL trade offs with masks though? From what I understand anyone with medical reasons that isn’t slight discomfort has medical exemptions.

They're uncomfortable, anonymous and restrictive. Many people are avoiding places where they need to be worn, so it has negative effects both economically and socially. I'll be one of those people.

It not only affects the wearer's, but also those business owners who suffer loss of trade because of it. They affect communication. If you forget it, then you either become a leper for the day, face the social disapproval or make an early exit.

It also affects everyone, not just people who are drinking.

I'm certainly not looking forward to 8hrs on a plane wearing one. I certainly wouldn't be going on any long haul flights for a holiday. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, simFox said:

They're uncomfortable, anonymous and restrictive. Many people are avoiding places where they need to be worn, so it has negative effects both economically and socially. I'll be one of those people.

It not only affects the wearer's, but also those business owners who suffer loss of trade because of it. They affect communication. If you forget it, then you either become a leper for the day, face the social disapproval or make an early exit.

I'm certainly not looking forward to 8hrs on a plane wearing one. I certainly wouldn't be going on any long haul flights for a holiday. 

there is no real excuse for shop owners not having a pack of disposables to offer a customer if the need arises  - they can buy them for 10-15p each.  

13 minutes ago, simFox said:

I'm not sure I get why something so small that can be used to help seemingly has such a psychological effect on so many people that its use is being questioned.

They've been used over here pretty much religiously (apart from the religions, haha) since this all started and it hasn't resulted in the economic and social collapse of a nation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, simFox said:

I’ve got a couple of rewashable fabric ones for £5, comfortable and nonrestrictive. There’s hundreds of options at this point where cheap plastic masks are really your choice. And what does ‘anonymous’ mean? I’m only wearing them inside shops, I’m not particularly bothered if other shoppers can’t see my face.

This seems like the biggest first world problem ever to be honest. Whatever happened to ‘Keep Calm & Carry On’? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

Stuff

If it wasn't legislated with fines then I wouldn't be bothered about people wearing masks. Being made to wear a mask is what I have a problem with. If you like wearing masks, crack on. 

Im not sure which conspiracy theory that makes me apart of, tbh I don't follow them, but I am aware that it's a tactic often utilised to shut down a side of an argument. 

I would find it very odd if you agreed with everything I've ever written. I'm not sure the hysterical accusations are helping the debate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Masks are a minor inconvenience for a short period of time, my wife wears one all day for work and I couldn't be arsed with that. 

I don't agree with primary school aged children wearing them though, particularly as young as 6 as latest guidance in some countries suggest. 

Same here.....your Mrs in the bondage business aswell?  

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, simFox said:

If it wasn't legislated with fines then I wouldn't be bothered about people wearing masks. Being made to wear a mask is what I have a problem with. If you like wearing masks, crack on. 

Im not sure which conspiracy theory that makes me apart of, tbh I don't follow them, but I am aware that it's a tactic often utilised to shut down a side of an argument. 

I would find it very odd if you agreed with everything I've ever written. I'm not sure the hysterical accusations are helping the debate.

You literally posted the other day quoting an SS member indicating that quote, which was about how the Nazis enacted propaganda to commit the holocaust, was comparable to the current government response to Covid along with a long list of pretty insignificant inconveniences (open of which was wearing a mask) saying it was bringing about "social destruction"

Now you're saying masks are seriously affecting people's Quality of lives and we shouldn't wear them because they're "uncomfortable, anonymous and restrictive" and because people can't communicate with them, none of which I've seen to be remotely true at alll.

None of that absolutely anything to do with the government fining anyone (which I don't believe they have even fined anyone wearing a mask). This is the subtle conspiracy crap, all you're posts are coming from a place of some paranoia over mass government surveillance and control and every time someone presses you on it, you completely change the subject - absolutely nothing which you have said had anything to do with people being fined, how does a rant about government control or people being "anonymous" or "because they're a bit uncomfortable" have to do with people being fined?

It's because you can't be arsed to wear a piece of cloth over your face or you're trying to go on some crusade about it being some form of government control and you know it.

I'm more than happy to debate about the trade-offs between the economy and saving lives which is a genuine discussion people need to have. But what's the point debating anti-mask stuff when you come out with this kind of anti-mask shit about government control because you're being incredibly selfish over such an insignificant thing?

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Masks are a minor inconvenience for a short period of time, my wife wears one all day for work and I couldn't be arsed with that. 

I don't agree with primary school aged children wearing them though, particularly as young as 6 as latest guidance in some countries suggest. 

Yes...Agree  I believe First, 2nd year school Pupils should be excempt from masks... Those 1St Two years Facial expression,both ways teacher<->pupil is paramount,its one of those points on unwritten wisdoms in each individuals country's Culture Social education, awareness , & expression...

So also important for The new & Variant immigrant children,whose Facial mimic and expression could be different at home....

When One has intensivelly travelled, its amasing what one sees in individual lands ,sometimes regions dish up on the various Facial (talk) expression.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

More stuff..

I don't think their is a conspiracy or grand plan for mass population control.

I think we've had a bunch of irresponsible decisions that have resulted in economic and social destruction on levels that a lot of people are going to find it hard to recovery from. I worry for those people. The mengele quote (regardless of who he was) just demonstrates how slowly (but quickly) it happens. Unnoticed until you are personally affected.

Let me give you an example, my Mother told me that some lady got fined £50 for having a birthday party in their back garden, they were reported by a neighbor (she read it in the paper). Is that really where we've got to! Fining people for birthday parties! They'll start fining people for not wearing masks next! 

You know I just watched the family of that guy who was shot, talk at a rally. I could hear the tone and the words, but he was wearing a mask and dark glasses, it was difficult trying to connect the emotion with the words. A good deal of the effective communication was lost behind that mask. When a question was answered, I wasn't even sure which one of them replied.

Edited by simFox

1 hour ago, simFox said:

I don't think their is a conspiracy or grand plan for mass population control.

I think we've had a bunch of irresponsible decisions that have resulted in economic and social destruction on levels that a lot of people are going to find it hard to recovery from. I worry for those people. The mengele quote (regardless of who he was) just demonstrates how slowly (but quickly) it happens. Unnoticed until you are personally affected.

What is this ‘social destruction’ you keep bringing up? I honestly don’t get it. You can go down the pub and meet your mates without a mask in outside areas officially, and I know for a fact many pubs aren’t keeping separate households apart indoors either. As long as you aren’t having massive parties, a gathering of ten or less people isn’t going to get pulled up 9/10 times. I can’t think of any actual social events that require mask wearing, rather than just shopping, cinema or public transport, which aren’t exactly the pinnacle of social interaction. 

Can you give a solid example of ‘social destruction’?

I have made reference to the Man City bluemoon forum before.  There is an excellent contributor on their coronavirus thread called “healdplace” who has reported daily on trends during this pandemic without ever getting too emotional (other than his contempt for the govt web sites from where he accesses the data).  The following is a direct submission from him about the trends in hospital admissions .... and he questions (rightly in my opinion) why this is not being discussed in the MSM

“Still cannot access data for Wales beyond 28 Aug. But I do know there were 41 in that day and 83 patients were admitted that day. Indeed the numbers were rising over 3 days and between 49 and 83 per day went in. But numbers seem to have stopped being published around last Friday.

It looks like an upward trend here and we know it was up from 17 to 18 in N Ireland today and Scotland from 258 to 264 in last 24 hours.

Sadly England has gone up even more - from 280 Saturday to 290 Sunday to 305 yesterday and now today 472 in England hospitals today. That 167 in one day is the biggest rise in ages.

This is a serious reversal of the downward trends lately and the first time I have seen all 4 nations rusing at the same time.

So this means there are 748 in hospital we know of plus however many are now in from Wales (minumum 41) - so by the looks of it over 800.

They may come down again but right now this is starting to look a little disconcerting”.

Edited by zorro en españa
my quote duplicated!

9 hours ago, zorro en españa said:

I have made reference to the Man City bluemoon forum before.  There is an excellent contributor on their coronavirus thread called “healdplace” who has reported daily on trends during this pandemic without ever getting too emotional (other than his contempt for the govt web sites from where he accesses the data).  The following is a direct submission from him about the trends in hospital admissions .... and he questions (rightly in my opinion) why this is not being discussed in the MSM

“Still cannot access data for Wales beyond 28 Aug. But I do know there were 41 in that day and 83 patients were admitted that day. Indeed the numbers were rising over 3 days and between 49 and 83 per day went in. But numbers seem to have stopped being published around last Friday.

It looks like an upward trend here and we know it was up from 17 to 18 in N Ireland today and Scotland from 258 to 264 in last 24 hours.

Sadly England has gone up even more - from 280 Saturday to 290 Sunday to 305 yesterday and now today 472 in England hospitals today. That 167 in one day is the biggest rise in ages.

This is a serious reversal of the downward trends lately and the first time I have seen all 4 nations rusing at the same time.

So this means there are 748 in hospital we know of plus however many are now in from Wales (minumum 41) - so by the looks of it over 800.

They may come down again but right now this is starting to look a little disconcerting”.

While the poster is right with increases in the last few days and 472 appears at face value as a scary figure is a scary figure, it needs to be put into a little bit of context.

Hospitalisations in England were higher between 1st August to 24th August and only marginally lower up to and including last Saturday. The figures was in the 800s in the first of August and consistently in the 700s in the first week of August.

Of course, if figures increase by the same rates as they have been in the last few days for another week then things will be worrying so I'll reserve panic for now.

10 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

What is this ‘social destruction’ you keep bringing up? I honestly don’t get it. You can go down the pub and meet your mates without a mask in outside areas officially, and I know for a fact many pubs aren’t keeping separate households apart indoors either. As long as you aren’t having massive parties, a gathering of ten or less people isn’t going to get pulled up 9/10 times. I can’t think of any actual social events that require mask wearing, rather than just shopping, cinema or public transport, which aren’t exactly the pinnacle of social interaction. 

Can you give a solid example of ‘social destruction’?

I don't understand why you keep asking this?

We just went through a massive lockdown which pretty much destroyed any social interaction for weeks. Now we have local lockdowns which is just social destruction lite. I gave you an example of someone being fined for having a birthday party which i find abhorrent. Our entertainment industry is in tatters, i have never actually been to a festival, but i understand many people thrive on these events. Nightclubs aren't open so our young people are resorting to illegal raves, which are now being followed up with fines of upto 10k. Our young people need an outlet.

The government are dictating how many people households are allowed to have round and Comrade Sturgeon has banned music in pubs.

People are actually afraid to go out - plenty of examples of this. Quarantines are affecting international travel and the holiday/travel industry and people's ability to take a much needed break abroad.

It's not all just about you, maybe you are a psychological Alpha, but some people are not and they need fun and music and seeing smiles on peoples faces, singing and dancing all that stuff. But it's ok because you can go down the pub with a mask on. Might be ok for you, but it's not for many others, including those who rely on it as a source of income.

I dont like how this pandemic is being handled with an authoritarian approach, i.e. punishment, coercion and psychological fearmongering, control and restriction on freedoms. We aren't children.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Nalis said:

While the poster is right with increases in the last few days and 472 appears at face value as a scary figure is a scary figure, it needs to be put into a little bit of context.

Hospitalisations in England were higher between 1st August to 24th August and only marginally lower up to and including last Saturday. The figures was in the 800s in the first of August and consistently in the 700s in the first week of August.

Of course, if figures increase by the same rates as they have been in the last few days for another week then things will be worrying so I'll reserve panic for now.

We need to accept that cases will rise and no doubt more people will die. The biggest worry for me is how we react, if we start going off at the deepend and go into full lockdown 2.0, then i'm going to have to write bigger paragraphs on the internet.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Covid question - someone asked me and I didn't know what to say. 

They have a runny nose and a cold basically. A cough that is only there to clear his throat. Nothing more. Feels fine and they said they don't have a fever. Should they get a test?

Isn't the symptom for Covid-19 a continuous cough? 

And the others being a high temperature or loss of smell/taste. 

You can check if a test is needed on the gov website. Usually in first 5 days of symptoms a test is required. 

52 minutes ago, simFox said:

I don't understand why you keep asking this?

We just went through a massive lockdown which pretty much destroyed any social interaction for weeks. Now we have local lockdowns which is just social destruction lite. I gave you an example of someone being fined for having a birthday party which i find abhorrent. Our entertainment industry is in tatters, i have never actually been to a festival, but i understand many people thrive on these events. Nightclubs aren't open so our young people are resorting to illegal raves, which are now being followed up with fines of upto 10k. Our young people need an outlet.

The government are dictating how many people households are allowed to have round and Comrade Sturgeon has banned music in pubs.

People are actually afraid to go out - plenty of examples of this. Quarantines are affecting international travel and the holiday/travel industry and people's ability to take a much needed break abroad.

It's not all just about you, maybe you are a psychological Alpha, but some people are not and they need fun and music and seeing smiles on peoples faces, singing and dancing all that stuff. But it's ok because you can go down the pub with a mask on. Might be ok for you, but it's not for many others, including those who rely on it as a source of income.

I dont like how this pandemic is being handled with an authoritarian approach, i.e. punishment, coercion and psychological fearmongering, control and restriction on freedoms. We aren't children.

A lot of the examples you give, we can adapt to work. If a person can’t adapt to the situation we currently have presented, we are children 

We are currently in kos and the hotel we are in ( which is running at 50 percent capacity) is now panicking because it looks like we might be asked to come back  shortly because of what's happened in Wales and Scotland.  But the truth of it is is that they take it WAY more seriously over here and take every precaution possible that we don't do in England, yet countries that rely on the tourism like here are being punished for it.

Another frustrating thing is that the government love this 20 in a 100000 infection as being the target a country cannot go above, yet Greece to my knowledge,never has.

Plus, these people on these flights from Zante, how can anyone with any conviction say it came from Greece? Someone who gets on a flight and goes away for 7 days could have taken it with them with no symptoms when they left, and the symptoms came out whilst on holiday. 

It all stinks a bit really to me when our infection rate currently nationally is higher than these countries, yet we haven't been barred from a lot of places.  Plus, we can impose restrictions here on specific places, but we cant do the same to abroad?

Edited by kristianity77
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

A lot of the examples you give, we can adapt to work. If a person can’t adapt to the situation we currently have presented, we are children 

But we aren't adapting. we've just shut them down. Don't limit it to my five minute rant, there are many more. Even WFH has impacted people's social interactions, personally i struggle with WFH, i need to disconnect from my workplace, same way that i cant exercise at home, i need to go to a gym (they took too long to reopen)

18 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

We are currently in kos and the hotel we are in ( which is running at 50 percent capacity) is now panicking because it looks like we might be asked to come back  shortly because of what's happened in Wales and Scotland.  But the truth of it is is that they take it WAY more seriously over here and take every precaution possible that we don't do in England, yet countries that rely on the tourism like here are being punished for it.

Another frustrating thing is that the government love this 20 in a 100000 infection as being the target a country cannot go above, yet Greece to my knowledge,never has.

Plus, these people on these flights from Zante, how can anyone with any conviction say it came from Greece? Someone who gets on a flight and goes away for 7 days could have taken it with them with no symptoms when they left, and the symptoms came out whilst on holiday. 

It all stinks a bit really to me when our infection rate currently nationally is higher than these countries, yet we haven't been barred from a lot of places.  Plus, we can impose restrictions here on specific places, but we cant do the same to abroad?

What are you moaning about, Finnaldo says he can go down the pub with his mask on...

Edited by simFox