Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

53 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Being back at work is one way of not hearing more depressing shitshow news about this. 

That R Rate in regions is bloody sad 

I've found myself checking this thread less and less as the days go on. I was probably on here for about 3 hours a day at the start of Lockdown.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sampson said:

Similar I think 

Outdoors where the tables are spread put I'd be perfectly comfortable with it now. I'd want to see the weekly deaths in single-digits before I'd be happy to drink indoors though.

One Way for City councils,to Stop Town traffic....Get The pubs und Restaurants  to spread their Tables into the streets and across roads....

Now time to think about Drone-waiters,pretty ones of course...:bounce:

12 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

If lifting restrictions is done anything like here in Perth, there’ll be limits on number allowed for some time. We had a limit of 20, subject to no more than 1 person per 4 square metres, all seated. Being lifted to 100, and 1 person per two square metres tomorrow.

12 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

In Perth we haven’t had any community infections for some time, a month or more I think. We’ve had some recently returned infected travellers, all in hotel quarantine, and an issue with a ship that docked in Fremantle a week or so ago that has yielded some 20 infections amongst the crew I believe, all on board. I think they’ve all been put in hotel quarantine.

Victoria and NSW have had the odd cluster (meat processing plants and care homes mostly), but I think they are down to single digit infections per day. Basically we have got off relatively lightly.

In my opinion this is down to locking down relatively early in the cycle (some luck involved), and sealing borders & quarantining returning travellers.

If thats the restrictions in a place where you havent had any infections (or single digit), I cant see the pubs being back to normal for months over here as it will be some time before daily cases are single digit or zero.

11 hours ago, String fellow said:

Is it just coincidence that the three countries with the highest death tolls, the USA, the UK, and Brazil, all have right-wing populist politicians in charge?

As opposed to the nation where it started with probably the most or second most left wing government. I wouldnt say Boris is that right wing rather that populist. But this is an arguement for the political thread not this one. 

I hope they dont reduce the 2 meter rule any time soon as people struggle with 2 meters. If we say 1 meter people will be 50 cm away from each other. What people think is a safe distance is often a lot less than it is hence all the tail gating on the motorways.

11 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Being back at work is one way of not hearing more depressing shitshow news about this. 

That R Rate in regions is bloody sad 

Because the R value basically derives from the population divided by how many people test positive, it stands to reason that the more people you test the higher the value will be because the population figure stays the same, but the flaw comes when you only test people who are showing any signs of symptoms, if you could test the entire population, the R value would be very small.

30 minutes ago, Nalis said:

If thats the restrictions in a place where you havent had any infections (or single digit), I cant see the pubs being back to normal for months over here as it will be some time before daily cases are single digit or zero.

The UK government seems to have a different approach 

32 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Because the R value basically derives from the population divided by how many people test positive, it stands to reason that the more people you test the higher the value will be because the population figure stays the same, but the flaw comes when you only test people who are showing any signs of symptoms, if you could test the entire population, the R value would be very small.

Not entirely sure how it’s calculated but I doubt that this is correct. More likely derived by fitting to a epidemiological model. It is after all trying to estimate the average number of people who get infected from a single infected person in the community.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

Been back in the office for three weeks now, we anticipated retail to be opening on 1st June. 

Good to be back but my mood tends to switch between happy and hacked off quite easily. It’s not taking much at the minute to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, lestajigs said:

If 1000s of people can line the streets to protest, why cant 1000s watch a football game?

As much as we love football, one is for social justice while the other is a pastime.

59 minutes ago, Nalis said:

As much as we love football, one is for social justice while the other is a pastime.

And our overlords have stated the latter gatherings are also unadvisable.

18 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I think the more salient question that will resonate with many is, while it's a very important cause, why is it OK for thousands of people to congregate in city centres but my mum can't go round my sister's house and hold her first grandchild?

For sure

19 hours ago, StanSP said:

What have case numbers been like in the big cities in Aus since lockdowns were lifted?

Hard to read much into comparisons with countries that successfully controlled the outbreak like Australia. Probably best to see what is happening in countries like Spain or Italy. The numbers of those infected in Australia has been so few in comparison to us.

Edited by reynard

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I think the more salient question that will resonate with many is, while it's a very important cause, why is it OK for thousands of people to congregate in city centres but my mum can't go round my sister's house and hold her first grandchild?

Honestly just do what you want, the whole thing has become a farce, but obviously be aware the only ones you're putting at risk are yourselves.

If this virus doesn't burn out like some assume, then the R rate will jump massively after this weekend.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Imo it's about limiting your social bubble and washing your hands before any contact with your face, or food. If you do that you'll be fine. So imo visiting family is fine, just be careful, but as important as this racism situation is, meeting up in thousands for a protest really isn't ok, or we all might as well go down the pub.

44 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Honestly just do what you want, the whole thing has become a farce, but obviously be aware the only ones you're putting at risk are yourselves.

If this virus doesn't burn out like some assume, then the R rate will jump massively after this weekend.

If only that were true. This distancing thing is all about restricting the chain of transmission. Whilst the risk to any individual may be small in itself, the cumulative risk further down the transmission chain is significant.

I do sympathise with your overall sentiment though.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

10 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

If only that were true. This distancing thing is all about restricting the chain of transmission. Whilst the risk to any individual may be small in itself, the cumulative risk further down the transmission chain is significant.

I do sympathise with your overall sentiment though.

Yeah I should have added if you keep your distance in other aspects of life.

Either way it's ridiculous what I'm seeing today:angry: