Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

39 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think we should wait for a couple of weeks to see if the protests have made any difference.

It doesn't feel like VE day has caused the spike they were predicting but yeah i agree with what you are saying let's hope it's controllable in the next few weeks or we could be back a couple of squares. 

12 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

It doesn't feel like VE day has caused the spike they were predicting but yeah i agree with what you are saying let's hope it's controllable in the next few weeks or we could be back a couple of squares. 

I'm kinda thinking that if the protesters don't achieve anything, at least they'll give us the information that everyone's after, Are mass outdoor gatherings safe or not. Human guinea pigs. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kopic said:

I had my test at Birstall about a month ago as my girlfriend was showing symptoms, took 6 days for our results (which were negative). I went about 2 days after it opened and it was quiet, very efficient, but the delay in results was annoying considering I am a "key worker" and I had no symptoms myself.

How was your girlfriend?

6 hours ago, nnfox said:

Our death rate is 0.057%

Italy is 0.056%

Spain is 0.058%

France is 0.044%

USA is 0.034%

Germany is 0.01% (Impressive)

Germany figures look very good, are you sure they use the same criteria as other countries?

7 minutes ago, nnickn said:

Germany figures look very good, are you sure they use the same criteria as other countries?

It's really a difficult thing to compare countries because there isn't a universal standard in recording the numbers.

Germany genuinely seems to have done well.  Spain's figures are all over the place.

We're probably average to just below average, the report would read "could do better".

3 minutes ago, nnfox said:

It's really a difficult thing to compare countries because there isn't a universal standard in recording the numbers.

Germany genuinely seems to have done well.  Spain's figures are all over the place.

We're probably average to just below average, the report would read "could do better".

Objectively Germany haven't really done well. They've just done a shit load better than other Western European countries. Places like S. Korea and Vietnam have done well.

6 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'm kinda thinking that if the protesters don't achieve anything, at least they'll give us the information that everyone's after, Are mass outdoor gatherings safe or not. Human guinea pigs. 

However, there aren’t that many infectious people around at the moment ........ the problem is knowing who is infectious ! 

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

As bad as our numbers have been, in comparison to those countries it seems about par.

I think the argument is that with a week or two advantage on the view of these countries experience, we could have got a little ahead of the curve. 

fwiw, with London the must susceptible place for transmission re public transport, the larger spread down here will help when there is an uplift in the infection rate.   

but the caveat that until we get beyond the vaccine and can assess the final numbers and economic impact across each country/region, we won’t be able to make judgements.   There is also the question of whether the regions have different (more virulent) strains which could make apples and apples tough to compare ......

more evidence last few days that type O blood group is better at keeping you out of ITU ref CV with A the worst. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/QwhYgq2Le3/anatomy-of-a-pandemic 

An interesting article!

Also a strong Swiss study has found a fatality rate of around 0.7% of those infected, which would make covid at least 7 times more deadly than the flu. What's encouraging is that unless the virus mutates rapidly, which isn't likely, the fatality rate is only going to drop from here on in.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The updated numbers to include those from the weekend are 286.  I reckon that’s a three day average of around 140/day. I think last weeks flattish level was 170/180 per day so we are slowly getting there .....

Yeah, looking at the trend we should be consistently below 100 deaths reported per day within the next 1.5-2 weeks.

I went supermarket food shopping a week ago and reckon a good 40-50% of customers were wearing face masks (including me)

Went back in today and I’d say only 1 in 10 people maximum had a face mask on. I felt like the odd one out.

Is it just on public transport we’re supposed to wear masks?

Yes, masks only required on public transport, but whilst shopping you must remember to pick up loads of crap you don’t want and put it down again, and critically you must not be wearing gloves.

Just pick it up and put it in your bag/trolley ffs.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes, masks only required on public transport, but whilst shopping you must remember to pick up loads of crap you don’t want and put it down again, and critically you must not be wearing gloves.

I stand behind some people faffing around choosing what to buy, picking stuff up deliberating whether to but it and then putting it back, really annoying.

Just now, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I stand behind some people faffing around choosing what to buy, picking stuff up deliberating whether to but it and then putting it back, really annoying.

I beat a woman to death with a frozen leg of lamb* today, after she spent ages touching and fiddling with all the cured meats.

* this may or may not have occurred.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

21 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

19 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I beat a woman to death with a frozen leg of lamb* today, after she spent ages touching and fiddling with all the cured meats.

I've not been in a supermarket since March but I'd imagine some of this could be down to finding the best use by date. I've more often than I like ended up with stuff that was passed it's date when I bought it because I forgot to check it.

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

I've not been in a supermarket since March but I'd imagine some of this could be down to finding the best use by date. I've more often than I like ended up with stuff that was passed it's date when I bought it because I forgot to check it.

Perhaps so, but it still presents the opportunity to spread disease, so just need to wear gloves no? Maybe they had washed hands before though... :blush:

33 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I bought something I didn't really want but picked up by mistake yesterday. Just because I felt guilty about putting it back. 

45 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I stood waiting for a bloke to inspect about 17 different cartons of eggs before selecting the cheapest pack anyway. As I waited the thought came into my head "if coronovirus doesn't kill you then it's quite possible that I will if you don't select your eggs and fook off out the way" But obviously I just smiled politely.....

• Like 1