Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It absolutely wasn’t ??

Italy, Spain and France all went into secondary more severe lockdowns after a few weeks of their initial commencement. We kept ours the same until mid may.  

in those countries you weren’t allowed out of the house apart from essential shopping or medical.  Spain shut nearly all their business’ and I think Italy did likewise. 

Typo on my part. I meant our first lockdown wasn’t and was trying to imply there will be another.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

I just can’t see this govt sanctioning another nationwide lockdown. ..... 

You may be right, and I sincerely hope it is not needed.

The cause of BLM is beyond dispute (for myself and most I imagine) and I also see that the time is now, off the strength of the outrage regarding George Floyd. However, it is unavoidable that it will cause further problems with regards to Coronavirus, and it is this that may well decide the issue of a 2nd lockdown, especially against the backdrop of a relaxing of existing measures.

Well the UK and US are certainly giving the virus the best chance to stick around. If it doesn't gradually go away on its own accord we're screwed. 

Yesterday all over the news about the infection rate being above 1 in the north west and wanting a localised lockdown and then today we have the scene in Manchester. What has Andy Burnham had to say about the protests?

The amount people justifying the crowds because of Cummings too, it's ridiculous. The beach comparison is fair although I think there were more social distancing going on than the at the protests. 

The thing is, I would predict that many of the people joining marches don't really give a shit, and they'll move on when the next thing to be angry about comes up. Not that I think this isn't a serious issue, it is and needs addressing but do I think  people filling the streets of UK town centres is going to have any impact? No. Risking lives for apparent "solidarity"

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Well the UK and US are certainly giving the virus the best chance to stick around. If it doesn't gradually go away on its own accord we're screwed. 

Yesterday all over the news about the infection rate being above 1 in the north west and wanting a localised lockdown and then today we have the scene in Manchester. What has Andy Burnham had to say about the protests?

The amount people justifying the crowds because of Cummings too, it's ridiculous. The beach comparison is fair although I think there were more social distancing going on than the at the protests. 

The thing is, I would predict that many of the people joining marches don't really give a shit, and they'll move on when the next thing to be angry about comes up. Not that I think this isn't a serious issue, it is and needs addressing but do I think  people filling the streets of UK town centres is going to have any impact? No. Risking lives for apparent "solidarity"

I dont think there is a lot they can do here, if they take a hardline approach on stopping protests than it could get very messy with more of a 'fvck you' attitude by protesters.

• Like 1

Seeing the pictures from today have made me really anxious, just like the pictures from the beach did.

Really hope there’s no knock on effect but I guess it’s all but inevitable now. Feel sorry for all the frontline workers who will now once again likely be put under pressure. They really need a break, I worry about their mental health and PTSD from this pandemic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Seeing the pictures from today have made me really anxious, just like the pictures from the beach did.

Really hope there’s no knock on effect but I guess it’s all but inevitable now. Feel sorry for all the frontline workers who will now once again likely be put under pressure. They really need a break, I worry about their mental health and PTSD from this pandemic.

My ex has had next to nothing to do at Glenfield these past 12 weeks....only now is it returning to normal

I suspect ICU teams have it tough...but (oddly enough) another ex of mine is an ICU nurse and they always have one dedicated patient anyway, so the change isn't that drastic and frankly, some of the grotesque injuries she'd occasionally had to look after pre Covid19 were as distressing as you could possibly imagine

Just now, Paninistickers said:

My ex has had next to nothing to do at Glenfield these past 12 weeks....only now is it returning to normal

I suspect ICU teams have it tough...but (oddly enough) another ex of mine is an ICU nurse and they always have one dedicated patient anyway, so the change isn't that drastic and frankly, some of the grotesque injuries she'd occasionally had to look after pre Covid19 were as distressing as you could possibly imagine

Thanks for an informed perspective! Suppose you have to be pretty hardened to be in that line of work. I certainly couldn’t do it!!

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Just got off a zoom call with one of my mates. His missus is a pharmacist up in Halifax/Leeds and their hospital has had about 3 ICU patients for the past few weeks. Also says that there's about 90 patients in the whole hospital and approx 1000 staff all working... 

Just now, lcfcsnow said:

I don't understand why its even happening, this was in America? Another social media bandwagon.

Racism is not just an American thing. 

While not to the same extent, black people are well-documented to be more targeted than others in some areas by police. 

5 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Thanks for an informed perspective! Suppose you have to be pretty hardened to be in that line of work. I certainly couldn’t do it!!

Me neither. The ICU bird rarely told me about her patients as I didn't like to hear. 

Put it like this, I'm never ever getting on a motorbike nor fancy ever torching myself after a drink and drugs binge 

• Like 1

I think 50% of murders in the US are by Black's, 37% of arrests are black from 12% of the population. I know there are social and cultural issues on top including poverty, but being a policeman faced with those statistics day after day it must be hard to not become desensitized.

A British cop posted on a forum I'm on, he took the local MP for a walk around the area pointing out the issues, his main problem was when they returned to the station, he saw pictures of predominantly black guys faces on the wall of the briefing room, as suspects and targets for questioning. He complained that it was racist.

There is no doubt problems exist in our communities, but they need addressing from both sides, it isn't a one sided problem and the narrative needs to move away from black/white issues, injustices. It just creates more division and inequality.

Black on black racism is even more endemic than you might realise, my wife is black and my children are mixed race and I work in Africa, so I am more aware of these issues.

Prejudices do exist, they will always exist and you will never get rid of them. Everyone on this forum has a preference and there is nothing bad about it. If I go to a party in Africa all the whites sit together, as do a group of Asian guys in a multi cultural workplace. We just need to respect our differences and accept them and concentrate on the shared interests that bring us together. 

I understand why BLM exists, but it's undermined by aggressive militant behaviour which is regressing their cause. It's a huge shame.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Just got off a zoom call with one of my mates. His missus is a pharmacist up in Halifax/Leeds and their hospital has had about 3 ICU patients for the past few weeks. Also says that there's about 90 patients in the whole hospital and approx 1000 staff all working... 

My mates sister works in icu in one of the Leicester hospitals. There were 98 beds, half were in use and about half of those were covid, . That was 4 weeks ago. Says nurses were asking to be furloughed because they didn’t have anything to do and to reduce the chance of catching the virus. 

12 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Not entirely sure how it’s calculated but I doubt that this is correct. More likely derived by fitting to a epidemiological model. It is after all trying to estimate the average number of people who get infected from a single infected person in the community.

That’s right, but the only knowns that you can input into a model is the population, the amount tested, the amount positive/negative and the amount that die. From that you get the R value.

1 hour ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Yeah its those NHS workers who are exhausted by this already that a section of the nation has taken the pish out of. 

From last weekend to this, minority of the British public have been a joke. 

Should simply be four reasons to be out of your home at the moment; work, exercise, essential shopping, family 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox