Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

How many people do you have on ‘ignore’?  That can be the only explanation ...........  of course you won’t be reading this as I must be one of that group .....

its not about ignoring the people who are potentially at risk, its about ruining the lives of the vast majority of people. Shield the elderly, leave them at home, crack on as normal. We did these measures for 3 months and we've still got issues, its clearly not the answer

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

its not about ignoring the people who are potentially at risk, its about ruining the lives of the vast majority of people. Shield the elderly, leave them at home, crack on as normal. We did these measures for 3 months and we've still got issues, its clearly not the answer

You’re ignoring the most important thing - plenty of us accept that many old people will die earlier than they ordinarily would - what we cannot accept is health workers dying because of their job. Many people who have no underlying health issue in the 50/70 year age group will require hospitalisation to the level that will simply overwhelm the health service 

I accept that lockdowns can be imposed with a bit more nuance and intelligence than March/April/may 

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

What a cowardly bunch of arseholes! They know it is very unlikely that they’ll get a severe infection but are prepared to pass it on to others.

The responsibility side of the liberty equation seems to have been lost, rank individualism that suggests these people don't have the tools they need to live in a liberal society. 

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You’re ignoring the most important thing - plenty of us accept that many old people will die earlier than they ordinarily would - what we cannot accept is health workers dying because of their job. Many people who have no underlying health issue in the 50/70 year age group will require hospitalisation to the level that will simply overwhelm the health service 

I accept that lockdowns can be imposed with a bit more nuance and intelligence than March/April/may 

Eh?

We are basically at square one it seems with people at high risk despite all their efforts to protect themselves in the same boat as before.

I suspect they hoped a vaccine would be ready by now so relaxed everything and now everyone is up in arms because of this new lockdown.

And the same people not adhering before won’t do so now so we’re just going around in circles.

4 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

It's all fun and games until they catch it and unknowingly pass it on to someone's Grandparents.

Grandparents, I'm afraid need to be careful.

And I suspect you underestimate grandparents anyway. Not all are the timid, frightened souls you perhaps envisage

Id reckon many encourage them.to go out and enjoy themselves .....but keep to well away from their own house!

2 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

The responsibility side of the liberty equation seems to have been lost, rank individualism that suggests these people don't have the tools they need to live in a liberal society. 

That's the problem with the liberal lot. They're all about freedoms so long as it fits their interpretation. When it doesn't, freedoms are removed swiftly and without question for their own good.

What a load of bollocks. I'll take my chances with the virus, liberals are dangerous bunch who shouldn't be allowed near any positions of power.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Cowardly is helluva word. Behave.

Did you see the ages of them? They're kids having fun.

Fair enough. I used the word cowardly because I doubted that they would behave so if their own lives were at risk, but as you say, they’re young and would probably carry on anyway. Perhaps reckless would be a better word. Still makes me angry though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, simFox said:

That's the problem with the liberal lot. They're all about freedoms so long as it fits their interpretation. When it doesn't, freedoms are removed swiftly and without question for their own good.

What a load of bollocks. I'll take my chances with the virus, liberals are dangerous bunch who shouldn't be allowed near any positions of power.

But that’s the problem, you’re not taking your chances, you’re taking chances on behalf of someone else, a vulnerable person, or perhaps a health worker.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, reynard said:

Sounds to me like it will be just like March except Schools and universities will be allowed to stay open. Have to say I'd close schools and universites over and above non essential shops etc. If we close down again with no financial support the high street is basically finished and millions will be out of work within a month. Their policy on insisting on education being a priortiy over and above the economy looks set to be a complete disaster. Proper finacial support for universities would have at least allowed online learning to go ahead for the vast majority of students. The return of students has contributed hugely to the increase in cases. And no I'm not blaming them but having thousands of people forced into mixed housing and halls of residence was inevitably going to lead to increases in infection.

What percentage of the working population have children they'd have to home school though and not be able to work and bugger the economy anyway? Its all an absolute horror show, I don't know what the answer is except we all take a lot of sleeping pills and wake up in a year.

• Like 3

I don't think either options are particularly good decisions. Closing businesses is potentially suicide for the economy, whereas shutting schools could have just as damming effects on the well-being and development of children/teens. Neither are good options sadly. 

In relation to what @reynard said regarding universities needing to be online, that is already the case. Students come in for practical sessions and a pastoral tutor meeting. No one is forced to go in.

8 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Fair enough. I used the word cowardly because I doubted that they would behave so if their own lives were at risk, but as you say, they’re young and would probably carry on anyway. Perhaps reckless would be a better word. Still makes me angry though.

On a wider note, it's not just kids who have a reckless view in the world. We're all guilty. 

I reycyle probably knowing a Chinese firm  dumps it all in a Bangladeshi landfill. Yet I CBA to do anything aboutit.

I wanted mange tout the other day, saw they were from Kenya (the carbon footprint of it all!) ...and bought them anyway. I CBA to check if stuff has palm oil in etc. 

I'm afraid, all ages are guilty in choosing convenience and selfishness

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Grandparents, I'm afraid need to be careful.

And I suspect you underestimate grandparents anyway. Not all are the timid, frightened souls you perhaps envisage

Id reckon many encourage them.to go out and enjoy themselves .....but keep to well away from their own house!

Sure, I was more thinking vulnerable older folks that still need to go out at times. Hopefully these kids are acting a bit more responsibly when not out on the lash.

26 minutes ago, simFox said:

Aye you're unhappy that liberalism has recognised the duty to prevent health systems from collapsing and that it doesn't extend to the individual ability to be responsible for ending people's lives. They sure are the dangerous ones.

• Like 2

Furlough scheme ends, the country goes into lockdown the day after, the new JSS only pays approximately 66% of closed businesses employees wages.

For those who manage to keep their jobs it’s going to be a winter of hardship on 66% for those poor souls who lose their jobs it’s worse, mass unemployment, it’s a complete disaster on so many levels.

• Like 4

What's the deal with the test and trace system then, at the moment?

Clearly hasn't been a success. Clearly failed and has been near useless. 

Government actually doing anything to try and improve it? The desired outcome of it clearly hasn't been met so what's the deal now?

And as I've said before so many businesses have taken a massive hit, thus cutting employees hours in the last few months, meaning wages worked out on mean hours (basically the entire retail and hospitality industry) is very helpful to saving the government of a few quid. Living on 80% of a full time minimum wage job for a few months was difficult. Living on 66% of a part time minimum wage job (which will be the case for millions now) will be impossible. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

So what we're just going to go in and out of lockdown until we get a vaccine for a virus that pretty much only kills people who are 80+ or have serious health conditions? This is ****ing mental

It’s to protect the existing health service. If beds are full, then the risk heightens for outside of the bracket you describe 

2 hours ago, reynard said:

I don't think any of us should overlook the irony of the timing. Of course could be just coincidence that the furlough scheme ends today.

Slipped my mind that - horrid. 

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Nah, both for me. Their shameless ignorance and disregard after Starmer & SAGE's comments since September is coming back to bite them firmly on the arse. They made it in to a political thing, ironically the same thing they'd trot out whenever someone speaks out against them...

The most arrogant, obnoxious, pompous selfish arseholes around. They only care about themselves. 

Even as an anti Tory / Labour supporter, the economy has to operate somehow or for as long as it can. We aren’t alone in major European countries in repeating the same errors 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It’s to protect the existing health service. If beds are full, then the risk heightens for outside of the bracket you describe 

They’ve had 7 bloody months to increase hospital capacities?! Surely they should be using these temporary hospitals as normal wards or COVID wards in order to separate them while increasing capacity. 

All this shows is that we’ll be going in and out of lockdown until we find a vaccine, these lot are useless. Just bloody pay billions for the Germany track and trace system which everyone raves about. 

I genuinely sympathise with anyone losing their job or business too, they’re being royally shafted with all this. 

PS. This wasn’t aimed specifically at you Cardiff so apologies if it feels that way :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Slipped my mind that - horrid. 

Even as an anti Tory / Labour supporter, the economy has to operate somehow or for as long as it can. We aren’t alone in major European countries in repeating the same errors 

Totally don't deny that, and understand that.

But a 2 week lockdown covering some of half-term, when figures were lower, surely would have prevented the panic stations (to an extent) we find ourselves in now? Stem the flow of cases dramatically rising. The fact we're not alone in repeating the same errors is a worry in itself...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

The government messed up with track and trace without a doubt but you could have the best system in the world and it would still need the general public to actually adhere to isolation, etc if they were traced to an outbreak.

Definitely. The problem is we’ve probably had our peak compliance now and the longer this goes on, the less likely people are to follow all the rules, people are just fatigued by it all. 

• Like 3