Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

8 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I do feel until a vaccine is found we will be going around in circles.

Lockdown, out of lockdown, cases go up, more lockdown needed and so on.

Where do people think the main cause of this current outbreak has come from?

Schools

Uni

Pubs

People just gathering generally.

Trouble is you cannot really close them all and well if people aren't adhering now to the guidelines they probably never will.  

I suspect it’s a mixture. 

I’ve noticed a bit of a shift in peoples attitudes. I think those who were flippant with rules are definitely starting to recognise the danger, particularly in areas that have escaped largely and are now seeing cases rise in their back yard. 

on the other hand this who were very stringent with the rules are

getting a bit fed up and are becoming more blasé.

Not trying to blame young people

but I think University campuses have been hotspots and I know lots of young students who have ignored the rules and gone home. I suspect that’s had a big impact. 

31 minutes ago, Corky said:

In my area we've had three huge outbreaks in factories. They all remained open.

Yet high street shops and bars that would have nowhere near the level of infection or spread will have to shut.

Schools, universities and factories (as well as the crap living conditions the workers have) are huge breeding and spreading grounds for this virus but will remain open and working. 

Shutting high streets, gyms, bars whilst keeping other things open where you can actually pinpoint a severe outbreak isn't right, for me. 

The difference being that the places remaining open can be controlled as everyone who works there / or being in education can be identified and therefore be told to isolate if they catch the virus. This is the whole point, it's about a controlled lockdown.

17 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I do feel until a vaccine is found we will be going around in circles.

Lockdown, out of lockdown, cases go up, more lockdown needed and so on.

Where do people think the main cause of this current outbreak has come from?

Schools

Uni

Pubs

People just gathering generally.

Trouble is you cannot really close them all and well if people aren't adhering now to the guidelines they probably never will.  

I tell you one place where its not not coming from, football!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, String fellow said:

The PM is holding a press conference at 4.00pm. It's unusual for him to do this at the weekend, and suggests he's got something important to say.  

It'll be here from Monday, a load of waving of arms, probably a new slogan, not answering questions and little detail.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simFox said:

That's the problem with the liberal lot. They're all about freedoms so long as it fits their interpretation. When it doesn't, freedoms are removed swiftly and without question for their own good.

What a load of bollocks. I'll take my chances with the virus, liberals are dangerous bunch who shouldn't be allowed near any positions of power.

Didnt you claim you already had Covid? 

27 minutes ago, Nalis said:

1 - If we are looking at tracing back sources then how far back do we go? Lets say they were in a pub where did they get it before that (and so on and so forth)? Maybe we just stop at the pubs and restaurants as its a better soundbite eh?

2 - Where exactly has the quoted post says the bit in bold?

1. Absolutely, but equally we cannot assume that simply because there is an outbreak on a campus or in a factory that it originated in the workplace or institution or as a consequence of that economic activity which the post appeared to imply.

2/ Again, implicit, but largely a facetious comment on my behalf. 

2 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Furlough scheme ends, the country goes into lockdown the day after, the new JSS only pays approximately 66% of closed businesses employees wages.

For those who manage to keep their jobs it’s going to be a winter of hardship on 66% for those poor souls who lose their jobs it’s worse, mass unemployment, it’s a complete disaster on so many levels.

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

And as I've said before so many businesses have taken a massive hit, thus cutting employees hours in the last few months, meaning wages worked out on mean hours (basically the entire retail and hospitality industry) is very helpful to saving the government of a few quid. Living on 80% of a full time minimum wage job for a few months was difficult. Living on 66% of a part time minimum wage job (which will be the case for millions now) will be impossible. 

Mortgage holiday ending to add to it.2021 looking great so far then.Remember it only takes one bank to go down.Anyway I’m told a tipped up wheelie bin and loads of newspaper makes a great shelter.

• Sad 1

You look at Leicester’s trajectory for example, we got locked down because our infection rate hit 135 per 100,000 people, that was back in June. At the end of August we got that right down to 25 per 100,000 people, the measures we were under clearly had an effect.

But as soon as we opened various things back up again, coinciding with Schools and Uni’s going back, it’s shot up again to 293 per 100,000. 

Certain measures clearly do work, but certain sectors are part of a big problem. Uni’s for example are the most prevalent source according to statistics, yet they are so keen to keep them open, that makes no sense.

You look at Nottingham for example, had the highest infection rate in the country the other week, they get shoved into Tier 2, yet Liverpool who’s infection rate was lower gets shoved into Tier 3, yet a few weeks later they eventually decide to shove Nottingham into Tier 3.

The Goverments decision making is ass backwards, they either react too early or too late to everything they do, they are yet to get anything perfectly spot on. Now we’re on the brink of Lockdown R2, because Bojo and his buddies failed to listen.

Well done Goverment, well done :appl:

• Like 1

And with all this going on, nhs nightingales, which we're apparently built to alleviate nhs capacity,  have been put on stand-by, but i think the actual term should be stand down not stand by, as stand by implies get ready, as they're not recruiting.

https://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/Nightingale/Nightingale/NHS-Nightingale-Hospital--North-West

9 minutes ago, kingfox said:

You look at Leicester’s trajectory for example, we got locked down because our infection rate hit 135 per 100,000 people, that was back in June. At the end of August we got that right down to 25 per 100,000 people, the measures we were under clearly had an effect.

But as soon as we opened various things back up again, coinciding with Schools and Uni’s going back, it’s shot up again to 293 per 100,000. 

Certain measures clearly do work, but certain sectors are part of a big problem. Uni’s for example are the most prevalent source according to statistics, yet they are so keen to keep them open, that makes no sense.

You look at Nottingham for example, had the highest infection rate in the country the other week, they get shoved into Tier 2, yet Liverpool who’s infection rate was lower gets shoved into Tier 3, yet a few weeks later they eventually decide to shove Nottingham into Tier 3.

The Goverments decision making is ass backwards, they either react too early or too late to everything they do, they are yet to get anything perfectly spot on. Now we’re on the brink of Lockdown R2, because Bojo and his buddies failed to listen.

Well done Goverment, well done :appl:

Danny Dyer once again correctly analysing the situation and stating that a bunch of toffs from Eton are not really made of the right stuff for running a country. 

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

People being unwilling to do their bit is a major issue. My daughters school asked all parents to wear a mask on site weeks ago. I went there yesterday and maybe 30% had one on. Risk may well be low but the fact so many think **** it I’m not doing it is one of the big issues. 
seems a lot don’t care until it affects them personally 

13 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

Only just booked my wedding ceremony for 5 December for 15 people. We are absolutely desperate to do it with close family members.

Last year we had booked the 5 December but then her dad got diagnosed with metastatic melanoma in May this year so we brought it forward as early as we possibly could to 19 September. He passed away in late August so we’ve gone back to our old date.

We just want one positive thing this year, it’s so thoroughly depressing. 

I really hope this happens, I'll keep everything crossed for you. Where are you having it?

4 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Universities can and have for many courses transferred teaching online, although for some, there will always be a higher practical component to teaching than others. How do you train a nurse, physiotherapist, paramedic, biomedical scientist, automotive engineer solely online and via distance learning? Most institutions have done a very commendable job introducing measures on campus, but thousands of students from both national and international origins concentrating on one city center is inviting disaster. This is a political decision, since universities are economic dynamos and generate such significant income for local commerce. The institutions themselves are eager to maintain physical presence and proximity of students - (although remember in the case of some Modern Universities - in particular, DMU, Coventry and Trent, a high proportion of students are locally domiciled). This is because they want to charge full tuition fees and fear discounts. They also have contractual obligations to ancillary services and businesses such as catering and accommodation. This at a time that Brexit threatens to decimate the European applications revenue and with increasing emphasis upon degree apprenticeships and FE. This is a competitive marketplace. Remove students from campuses and it will decimate Higher Education along with many other sectors that are currently being ravaged. 

I think that where possible though - Semester 2 and 3 should be entirely online and campuses closed to students unless their course demands otherwise. Particularly since the return after Christmas will be an explosion and judging by the rhetoric coming out of Westminster, we are on the cusp of another full National lockdown which I think is imminent in the New Year. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

What percentage of the working population have children they'd have to home school though and not be able to work and bugger the economy anyway? Its all an absolute horror show, I don't know what the answer is except we all take a lot of sleeping pills and wake up in a year.

I don't disagree.However, university teaching could have been done largely online.So could 6th form teaching. None of these would require parents to be at home. A great many parents are in danger of not having jobs to go to in any case if we lockdown completely again. How many mothers have part time retail jobs? Likely to be the first to go.

1 minute ago, reynard said:

I don't disagree.However, university teaching could have been done largely online.So could 6th form teaching. None of these would require parents to be at home. A great many parents are in danger of not having jobs to go to in any case if we lockdown completely again. How many mothers have part time retail jobs? Likely to be the first to go.

Isn't much 6th form being done online anyway? I only have my son's experience to go on, but most of his learning this year is being carried out online, he only goes into college once a week, and that is strictly socially distanced.

43 minutes ago, Line-X said:

1. Absolutely, but equally we cannot assume that simply because there is an outbreak on a campus or in a factory that it originated in the workplace or institution or as a consequence of that economic activity which the post appeared to imply.

2/ Again, implicit, but largely a facetious comment on my behalf. 

Fair point on point 1.

25 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Well they will probably blame the crowds at non-league games...

My local grassroots club are getting crowds of 300, which is mind boggling for a small market town. I haven't been so can't comment on distancing etc. 

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I’ve already been told if we go into lockdown again my job is gone. Just had to sell the car just in case. Currently cycling everywhere 😂.

But in all seriousness, it’s shit x 1000 at the moment. 

Really sorry to hear that. Fear the same for me and for our son. Hope things work out for you.

Edited by reynard

13 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Isn't much 6th form being done online anyway? I only have my son's experience to go on, but most of his learning this year is being carried out online, he only goes into college once a week, and that is strictly socially distanced.

Our neighbour's daughter is going in every day. 1st year 6th form. Apparently there is evidence (not sure what excactly and can't find link now) which suggests 6th forms are starting to see an increase in infections. Would make sense really as what is the difference between a 17 year old an 18 year old to the virus? None.

Edited by reynard