Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

Seriously... I mean I have voted for the tories in the past. There have been and are still some decent people in there. But he HAS to go - anyone else failing like this in such a senior role would be asked to submit their resignation. 

Of course I’m not in the UK, but for the record I now consider myself a floating voter and would be happy to vote for a competent centre right party. Unfortunately as far as I can see, throughout the whole world they seem to have been taken over by populist, corrupt, anti scientific, incompetent entities whose instincts make my stomach churn.

56 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

We haven't been locked down for 7 months though have we, we have had varying restrictions, similar to Sweden have had, but not a lockdown. 

I don't think there is an exact unequivocal definition of what is lockdown and what isn't.  By and large, if I am not legally able to enter my next door neighbour's house, I call that lockdown.  Sweden gave consistent and constant guidelines so their people knew where they were.  They also gave a lot more consideration to the old than the UK did' as far as our politicians go, it seems that they don't care what the old people die of as long as it isn't coronavirus.

1 hour ago, Fktf said:

You speak in broad brush strokes about Spanish flu. Plenty of places controlled a first wave, released restrictions, then had a massive second wave. Almost like the restrictions had an effect.

You'll have to tell me about Sweden and Brazil, I look at comparable countries to us in terms of the strategy we and they have taken. It's too late to argue we should have done something different now (as was the case in late Feb /early March when we'd already passed the point of suppressing spread)

Based on mass grave sites, I'd wager Brazil has had untold (and largely unreported) deaths in cities in one massive wave, and now the virus has no hosts, but it is a guess. I think Sweden has had steady restrictions throughout, rather than relax then lockdown, and managed the spread in one long wave. We could also ask why the USA isn't named in the same group of countries that got it right, because they followed a similarly relaxed approach, but without the same success. 

I see you're still ignoring the data from March, April, May. The spread slowed because of the intervention of lockdown or weather, not because of some magic unknown about viruses. 

The universities of Brasilia and Princeton (USA) did a combined study that said that Brazil's total death rate from all causes for the months of March, April, May was 22% above the five year average.  (Ours, for comparison, was 43%.)  It may be that Brazil have buried several hundred thousand bodies without recording their deaths, but I suspect not - their press is free enough to find that out and spread the word around the world if it was happening.

I'm not ignoring the data from March to May,  All I am saying is just because one thing happens and then another, it doesn't mean the first caused the second.  As you point out in your last sentence, we don't actually know what caused the wave to fade away.  There are several possibilities.  And to assume that a coronavirus cannot possibly fade for reasons unknown is assuming far too much about our knowledge of this disease.

Edited by dsr-burnley

On 29/10/2020 at 07:56, Innovindil said:

Getting dangerously close to the time the narrative on here shifts again from we're doing too much to we're doing too little. 

And round and round we go. 

Please save us vaccine. >_<

8 hours ago, StanSP said:

Pathetic from the government releasing this news to the rags on a Friday evening. 

They just continue to either be too late in reacting or just making bad decisions. Constantly. They have no control. In power but have no power. They are shite. 

Damn that didn't take long. 

Now we'll have a few arguments over whether they are needed or not and then we'll accept them for the greater good like good little piggies until it's time for DESE LOCKDOWNS BE KILLING US again. 

Mystic Innovindil. /sigh

The government might be slow in ****ing about with restrictions and only time will tell if they were right or not, but with anti-lockdown sentiments on here the past few weeks, I'm sure as hell glad I don't have to make the call. How far away are people from just bursting. Already seen protests in other European countries fighting lockdowns, genuinely surprised we've not seen many here yet. 

The word lockdown will be used but I'll be surprised if it's any stricter than Germany. I've been working from home for 7 months now and I've had enough, there was talk of going in a couple of days next month but I guess that won't happen now. 

Shops are going to be ridiculous today for no reason whatsoever. 

If it's until December 1st then I'll take that with my son's birthday early December and leading up to Christmas. But once you're in a lockdown, I'd be surprised if we came out of it quickly. 

Not sure if the leaks are intentional or not or whether it's just impossible for those that know to keep it to themselves.  Press conference needs to be today, not Monday. We need to know where we stand. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nod.E said:

The only possible good thing that comes out of this omnishambles is people seeing the tories for what they are.

That, and the realisation that people on benefits are not living the life of Riley after all.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Nottingham celebrate being in the top tier for the first time in 20 years... 

Is my hearing going? singing football's coming home? What for?

I saw another clip online and again, I must be going doolally, but i swear they were singing about a scarcely know ex arsenal player, Santi corzola. 

7 minutes ago, reynard said:

Sounds to me like it will be just like March except Schools and universities will be allowed to stay open. Have to say I'd close schools and universites over and above non essential shops etc. If we close down again with no financial support the high street is basically finished and millions will be out of work within a month. Their policy on insisting on education being a priortiy over and above the economy looks set to be a complete disaster. Proper finacial support for universities would have at least allowed online learning to go ahead for the vast majority of students. The return of students has contributed hugely to the increase in cases. And no I'm not blaming them but having thousands of people forced into mixed housing and halls of residence was inevitably going to lead to increases in infection.

It's so simple isn't it lol

I guess we shouldn't be surprised given who's in charge that they just didn't get it or see how obvious it was that this would happen... 

6 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

I don't think there is an exact unequivocal definition of what is lockdown and what isn't.  By and large, if I am not legally able to enter my next door neighbour's house, I call that lockdown.  Sweden gave consistent and constant guidelines so their people knew where they were.  They also gave a lot more consideration to the old than the UK did' as far as our politicians go, it seems that they don't care what the old people die of as long as it isn't coronavirus.

Well they didn’t give much consideration to the old, their policy ripped through the care homes to which the much vaulted Angers Tegnell admitted it was a disaster. This leading to the biggest death toll in the country’s recording history. 

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Damn that didn't take long. 

Now we'll have a few arguments over whether they are needed or not and then we'll accept them for the greater good like good little piggies until it's time for DESE LOCKDOWNS BE KILLING US again. 

Mystic Innovindil. /sigh

The government might be slow in ****ing about with restrictions and only time will tell if they were right or not, 

I actually don’t think a lot of anger is centred at the pace or the timing of the restrictions, it’s absolutely shitshow of leaking through the newspapers and allowing a weekend of speculation to build up. Realistically everyone knew what was coming, just a question when. 

Announcing how they have is going to have an incredibly adverse effect to the actual problem this weekend as we will supermarkets, pubs and other venues crowded to the limit. 

I don’t the UK will riot either. Protest maybe but we are a passive nation when it comes to these things. Be small numbers going to major cities in the cold and rain to walk around. It’s in European’s nature to kick off mind 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3

Just now, StanSP said:

It's so simple isn't it lol

I guess we shouldn't be surprised given who's in charge that they just didn't get it or see how obvious it was that this would happen... 

It sure isn't simple and I do have some sympathy for governements but frankly insisiting that schools and universities would be the last places to close and making it into a political cross to bear makes their decision making more limited. A lockdown now would be a financial disaster for the high street. They will have invested in stock they won't be able to sell in what is their busiest time of the year. With no furlough scheme and places not allowed to open I can't see any way in which businesses can do anything but make people redundant. This could be the end for countless small shops, museums, galleries, sports centres, leisure facilities.etc etc etc The list is endless.

Incoming lockdown to be announced in Austria today including a curfew.

Half expecting the Einsatzgruppen to re-surface and eradicate anyone testing positive.

This frigging Virus.....

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I actually don’t think a lot of anger is centred at the pace or the timing of the restrictions, it’s absolutely shitshow of leaking through the newspapers and allowing a weekend of speculation to build up. Realistically everyone knew what was coming, just a question when. 

Announcing how they have is going to have an incredibly adverse effect to the actual problem this weekend as we will supermarkets, pubs and other venues crowded to the limit. 

I don’t the UK will riot either. Protest maybe but we are a passive nation when it comes to these things. Be small numbers going to major cities in the cold and rain to walk around. It’s in European’s nature to kick off mind 

I don't think any of us should overlook the irony of the timing. Of course could be just coincidence that the furlough scheme ends today.

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Nah, both for me. Their shameless ignorance and disregard after Starmer & SAGE's comments since September is coming back to bite them firmly on the arse. They made it in to a political thing, ironically the same thing they'd trot out whenever someone speaks out against them...

The most arrogant, obnoxious, pompous selfish arseholes around. They only care about themselves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They were warned about this since spring and they just set us up to charge into it.

Schools and Universities returned as normal with a few Perspex screens and a bit of social distancing in place. There really needed to be a lot more out of the box thinking here. It was just the catalyst for all of this. 

Rishi now needs to play the joker up his sleeve and be reminded it’s not their money that’s being spent, it’s ours. We’ll be the ones paying it back, now let’s make sure we’re in a position to do so. 

I’m not blaming the government entirely it was a fine balancing act but relying on the common sense of the British people didn’t work last time,  let’s not be making the same mistake again

Just now, The Horse's Mouth said:

So what we're just going to go in and out of lockdown until we get a vaccine for a virus that pretty much only kills people who are 80+ or have serious health conditions? This is ****ing mental

How many people do you have on ‘ignore’?  That can be the only explanation ...........  of course you won’t be reading this as I must be one of that group .....