Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Benguin said:

Your first point is “because the universe is so big and we are so small, believing in God is human small mindedness.” This is not offensive, just silly.

You then said “it’s just fear of death and unwillingness to accept an eternity of nothing.” I wasn’t aware that you were able to gage and understand what other peoples reasons for doing something was, over the internet. That sounds great, how do you do it?

Third point: Why does it matter what a bunch of meaningless atoms in motion do? 

It doesn't matter to me what they do, just don't do it when there's a virus going around that could kill my parents and has given me the worst year of work in my career in healthcare. You think my view is silly, believe me I think your belief in a God is just as silly. Why is the Bible so important and Lord of the Rings isn't? Both are books written by people.

Where is God now? Why is he letting so many people suffer? Is he sleeping like he did during the holocaust? Why do you want to pray to something so cruel? Oh yes because he 'works in mysterious ways'.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Feeling a little better today, not blowing my nose every 30 seconds so thats a good sign. Tired and my back aches..still feelin sick but looks like i shall be just fine. About 2 weeks ago my wife and kids both had this 2 days cold type thing and were fine after. I never got it but perhaps it decided to wait 2 weeks for diwali.

Good to hear. I'm sure it's not easy with kids. 

That’s not what I said. To a practising Christian, worshiping god is objectively the most important thing in their lives. Even if an atheist was right that there is no god, for the Christian it is still the most important thing in their lives as they believe in god. Therefore restrictions against this are restrictions on the most important thing in a Christians life. I don’t think it’s right to compare that to going to the pub. Yes, as some have pointed out, it’s important to a lot of people but for the majority of people, going to the pub is a fun thing to do, not the most important thing in their life.

:frusty: that is your opinion, formed from your belief. 

The comparison here is that your religious gatherings are just as dangerous when it comes to spreading the virus as groups of people going to the pub. You're trying to bring value judgements into it, but they're irrelevant when thinking about how to control the virus. Both churches and pubs involve large groups of people in a contained space - the virus doesn't care whether it is duty to God or boozy fun that is the motivation for people being there.

People on here have been exceptionally kind in reaction to your comments, and I'm going to bow out here because I don't have their level of restraint. Your way of life is no more important than anyone else's, so suck it up like the rest of us.

17 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Good to hear. I'm sure it's not easy with kids. 

They are good.  My son is 7 and came to check on me several times.  He wanted to hug daddy  made me get well cards on his own accord. Really sweet.  Him and my daughter then decided to take over my tele and watch a movie but i didnt mind i enjoyed the company. What i will say is kids dont give a shite how sick you are which makes it hard if someone did have covid in the house. Almost impossible to keep them away without putting a lock and chain on the bedroom door.

• Like 2

At one end you have comments where those of religion consider it of primary importance more so then anything someone of no faith holds dear. At the other end you have people trampling all over others beliefs. Unfortunately, these people have more in common then they think (that isn’t a good thing) and neither helps society anymore then the other. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

That last sentence is unworthy of anybody.  

An attitude of "I am right and anyone who disagrees is stupid" is unpleasant and unnecessary.  You can have your own beliefs without abusing other peoples'.

An attitude of "I don't believe in church so that adds to the reasons for closing churches" is so arrogant and anti-democratic.  It doesn't.  I don't drink alcohol but if I suggested that was a reason not to open pubs, I would be wrong.

Being a Christian myself, I don't get the anti-Christian ethos in the general public.  Gym users campaigned to have gyms open during lockdown, and so did golf club members re. their golf courses.  They didn't get criticised over the principle of wanting to be better than other people or demanding extra rights.  Look on churchgoers as the members of a club that meets on Sundays (and other days too).  We have worked hard to make it safe, we want to continue to meet safely, we appeal to the government to let us.  If we were the Weight Watchers Association, there would be no hidden or unhidden agenda accusing us of asking for unfair advantages.

Amen brother, nice to see some support. Our lord said: “They will hate you just as they hated me.” 

No need to derail this thread with religion talk, it's a subject that people won't change their mind about. Fact is though gatherings for mass shouldn't happen currently, I'm an occasional church goer, more for wife's reason than mine but go along with it. Not strong beliefs though, more the community and school aspect.

Anyways, just had a phone call from nursery to say a staff member has tested positive, so my 3 year old has to isolate. Am I right in thinking that me and my wife only need to fully isolate if he starts showing symptoms? 

I'm working from home is no big problem for walk although it makes it a bit more difficult. Wife will only get sick pay though if she has to isolate. 

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

It doesn't matter to me what they do, just don't do it when there's a virus going around that could kill my parents and has given me the worst year of work in my career in healthcare. You think my view is silly, believe me I think your belief in a God is just as silly. Why is the Bible so important and Lord of the Rings isn't? Both are books written by people.

Where is God now? Why is he letting so many people suffer? Is he sleeping like he did during the holocaust? Why do you want to pray to something so cruel? Oh yes because he 'works in mysterious ways'.

Praying for your family and your career. I pray our lord will give you peace and encouragement at this time.

the lord of the rings is a fiction written by one man. The bible is not one book, it is several books, letters and writings written at different times by different people. There are 27 total writings in the New Testament alone. These documents shape and corroborate a lot of known history and are subject to rigorous scholarly study. Most scholars have concluded that Jesus existed, preached salvation through him, was crucified and several individuals and groups of people claimed to have seen him risen. These historical facts shape Christianity. 

Why does God allow suffering? Is he cruel? I’d love to answer that but I fear we’re diverting from the discussion in this thread. Feel free to check my longer responses in the religion thread or feel free to engage with me there. I’ll ask a question of my own in response to this though. Cruelty infers evil, how can evil exist without God? Given that evil is something which is objectively bad and if God doesn’t exist then there can be no absolute standard to test this by? 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

No need to derail this thread with religion talk, it's a subject that people won't change their mind about. Fact is though gatherings for mass shouldn't happen currently, I'm an occasional church goer, more for wife's reason than mine but go along with it. Not strong beliefs though, more the community and school aspect.

Anyways, just had a phone call from nursery to say a staff member has tested positive, so my 3 year old has to isolate. Am I right in thinking that me and my wife only need to fully isolate if he starts showing symptoms? 

I'm working from home is no big problem for walk although it makes it a bit more difficult. Wife will only get sick pay though if she has to isolate. 

Yeah mate I think so.

• Like 1

Praying for your family and your career. I pray our lord will give you peace and encouragement at this time.

the lord of the rings is a fiction written by one man. The bible is not one book, it is several books, letters and writings written at different times by different people. There are 27 total writings in the New Testament alone. These documents shape and corroborate a lot of known history and are subject to rigorous scholarly study. Most scholars have concluded that Jesus existed, preached salvation through him, was crucified and several individuals and groups of people claimed to have seen him risen. These historical facts shape Christianity. 

Why does God allow suffering? Is he cruel? I’d love to answer that but I fear we’re diverting from the discussion in this thread. Feel free to check my longer responses in the religion thread or feel free to engage with me there. I’ll ask a question of my own in response to this though. Cruelty infers evil, how can evil exist without God? Given that evil is something which is objectively bad and if God doesn’t exist then there can be no absolute standard to test this by? 

That's fine, I respect you because you're human and it's why I dont like to discuss my thoughts on religion so I'll leave it there. But please realise your beliefs, or church going, is of no more importance than my love to go to the pub and get shitfaced or do anything else, you have to try and remember that. Your beliefs and church are no more special than anything else people want or need to do with their time.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Don't see what any of this has to do with the old 'rona, if I were to state my opinions on religion, Catholicism especially, I'd certainly get banned. And I'll be buggered if I start spouting about that, so leave the religion to a thread where it belongs. 

I think a couple have gone off topic regarding the whether religion is stupid or not, but the discussion started because religious leaders are claiming they should allowed to open during lockdown. I don't think the discussion needed to go towards whether God is real or not, and in the main its been about why religious people think they're need is greater than others, which it isn't.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Don't see what any of this has to do with the old 'rona, if I were to state my opinions on religion, Catholicism especially, I'd certainly get banned. And I'll be buggered if I start spouting about that, so leave the religion to a thread where it belongs. 

Could you give us a clue?

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

:appl:

Bit in bold should have been government policy. It's fascinating to watch how the pious behave when they're told their beliefs don't make them superior to everyone else and therefore doesn't earn them special privileges. 

Not claiming that our way of life is more important than others. Merely that church IS our way of life. Pubs, football and the like for most people (though granted with some exceptions) are a side note in peoples lives. To a Christian, the church is everything. 

To go back to the original debate. I fully supported the first lockdown. I also understand and embrace a change and sacrifice in order to beat this virus. My issue is that the balance is not right and there absolutely should be discussion and even legal challenges on getting people back to normal. 

I have scanned no more than 50 cars into one of the major COVID-19 test centres each day for a while now and see the mass amount of waste at these testing sites. At the one I woke at for example there is about 10k a day in wasted wages for people who are just sat in a cabin on their phones all day. 

I feel I have every right in asking why I can’t live my way of life following stricter precautions and measures when the government are pouring  billions of tax payer money down the drain for an ineffective test and trace system.