Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Guest Harrydc
1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm struggling to see what was funny about any of this @Harrydc:blink:

Because he thinks me thinking outside the box would be being open to mandatory vaccines. It's funny. 

8 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I think this thread dropping down the pages is indicative of a wider loss of interest in this. I used to be glued to the stats but I just don't really care any more. 

Also I hope everyone's stocked up on mouthwash after the news this morning, good luck finding any in a few days time. 

Ha just seen this, was the study sponsored by Colgate or Oral B?

Both kids off school today.

One of their teachers has tested positive so they've closed the school for today while they decide what to do.

Apparently we'll get a call if our two have to self isolate.

More home schooling and the associated noise and distraction from getting my work done.

Bloody marvelous. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Ha just seen this, was the study sponsored by Colgate or Oral B?

You may well laugh, but what if! What if no-one had actually worked out why some people are catching it and some are not and maybe the ones that aren't use mouthwash. Be a bit of a shitter.

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I think this thread dropping down the pages is indicative of a wider loss of interest in this. I used to be glued to the stats but I just don't really care any more. 

Also I hope everyone's stocked up on mouthwash after the news this morning, good luck finding any in a few days time. 

This happened a while ago for me. Had a strong case of graph-numbness. Still there. 

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

One of their teachers has tested positive so they've closed the school for today while they decide what to do.

More home schooling and the associated noise and distraction from getting my work done.

Bloody marvelous. 

Youngests bubble was closed for 2 weeks yesterday morning after a positive case. Eldest is off with suspected Tonsillitis. Though after speaking to the school about this, it was mentioned that with 2 of the positive cases, only signs of being unwell for both were a sore throat and blocked nose. 

Both of ours got tested yesterday afternoon. Fingers crossed for good news soon. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stix said:

Youngests bubble was closed for 2 weeks yesterday morning after a positive case. Eldest is off with suspected Tonsillitis. Though after speaking to the school about this, it was mentioned that with 2 of the positive cases, only signs of being unwell for both were a sore throat and blocked nose. 

Both of ours got tested yesterday afternoon. Fingers crossed for good news soon. 

Hope they are alright pal.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

From that graph, it looks like we've replaced the term lower respiratory infection with the word Covid, but what's interesting is, and i'm assuming an upper respiratory infections  are colds etc, we appear to have found a cure for them.

Just due to the season, I think: the spike in respiratory infections is December 2019-March 2020, as we'd expect, due to lots of people getting colds, flu, bronchitis & pneumonia in the winter.

Would have been helpful if the graph had started from September 2019 and not December. That way, we could have compared what happened last year to Sept-Dec 2020.

No doubt that seasonal pattern is part of the reason for the lockdown - because they expect lots of people to have traditional respiratory tract infections over the winter and some of them to need hospitalisation with bad flu, pneumonia etc....so not a good idea to have a surge in Covid infections simultaneously.....

Another thought on that graph.....

All the social distancing and lockdown will presumably mean that fewer people than usual are getting winter colds and flu - and, in turn, fewer people are getting hospitalised with severe influenza or pneumonia caused by non-Covid infections?

So, while the partial failure of social distancing/lockdown means an influx of Covid patients into hospital, the partial success of social distancing/lockdown will mean a smaller-than-usual seasonal influx of people with non-Covid pneumonia or flu?

Presumably for hospitals a lower workload of standard flu/pneumonia patients will partly offset the higher workload of Covid patients.

The risk then is that if people start to abandon social distancing (through Covid fatigue or anticipation of a vaccine), we could see a return to normal levels of non-Covid pneumonia/flu patients alongside high Covid numbers......one to avoid.

15 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Another thought on that graph.....

All the social distancing and lockdown will presumably mean that fewer people than usual are getting winter colds and flu - and, in turn, fewer people are getting hospitalised with severe influenza or pneumonia caused by non-Covid infections?

So, while the partial failure of social distancing/lockdown means an influx of Covid patients into hospital, the partial success of social distancing/lockdown will mean a smaller-than-usual seasonal influx of people with non-Covid pneumonia or flu?

Presumably for hospitals a lower workload of standard flu/pneumonia patients will partly offset the higher workload of Covid patients.

The risk then is that if people start to abandon social distancing (through Covid fatigue or anticipation of a vaccine), we could see a return to normal levels of non-Covid pneumonia/flu patients alongside high Covid numbers......one to avoid.

i assume its all been factored into the modelling 

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

You may well laugh, but what if! What if no-one had actually worked out why some people are catching it and some are not and maybe the ones that aren't use mouthwash. Be a bit of a shitter.

it may kill a lot of the virus in your mouth but that will then be replaced pretty quickly - i suppose it could be of some use to protect others if you were unknowingly infectious and gargled before having to go into an enclosed space for a shortish period of time ….

1 hour ago, stix said:

Hope it's good news mate.

School have just rung us to say my daughter has to isolate for two weeks as it was her Math's teacher who tested positive.

Bit of a ball ache but it is what it is. She seems fine tbh.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Surely the vaccine turn around is a bit to fast, so people are going to agree to take it when there will have been no long term studies ... bit strange

so if people start developing bat wings in 5 years it would be classed as acceptable... where's the research? 

Bat Wings!? 

Count me in. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Some decent data analysis here:  https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/rcgp-surveillance-covid-19/

image.thumb.png.0334a9215e3412636573ef40bd782510.png

Key question:  What proportion of current COVID 19 figures are actually just lower/upper respiratory infections?  The current trend would suggest a pretty large decrease in these since this time last year.

Who's tracking upper respiratory infections then? I don't recall telling anyone about the last sniffle I had. 

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Bloody marvelous. 

Same here, dont suppose you live in a village in South Leicestershire do you? Our daughter just got sent home today.

Our middle daughter was sick over the weekend, barfing a bit, elevated temp Monday morning, called doctor, they wouldn't see her. A 3yo, with a bug, told us to go to hospital to a secure covid unit. No wonder the hospital's are over flowing, wife only wanted a bit of reassurance it's nothing serious, just a quick doctors examination to say she's ok, but nope, turned a 3yo away because covid. If she's going to catch covid, a covid centre would be high on the list to catch it.

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Vitamin D.  Take a tablet daily, at least 2000mui.  

I've been meaning to invest in some tablets like these for a while, I work mostly nights so don't get a lot of natural sunlight. Does it matter which ones I get? Seen some that are like 5000 mui+, but most are 1000-2000. I don't wanna OD on vitamin D:D

EDIT: From the NHS website.

'If you choose to take vitamin D supplements, 10 micrograms a day will be enough for most people.

Do not take more than 100 micrograms (4,000 IU) of vitamin D a day as it could be harmful. This applies to adults, including pregnant and breastfeeding women and the elderly, and children aged 11 to 17 years.'

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I've been meaning to invest in some tablets like these for a while, I work mostly nights so don't get a lot of natural sunlight. Does it matter which ones I get? Seen some that are like 5000 mui+, but most are 1000-2000. I don't wanna OD on vitamin D:D

EDIT: From the NHS website.

'If you choose to take vitamin D supplements, 10 micrograms a day will be enough for most people.

Do not take more than 100 micrograms (4,000 IU) of vitamin D a day as it could be harmful. This applies to adults, including pregnant and breastfeeding women and the elderly, and children aged 11 to 17 years.'

We take vitabiotics 2000ui daily.  I get a bit of SAD usually and these for the last year or so have definitely lifted my mood.

18 minutes ago, simFox said:

Same here, dont suppose you live in a village in South Leicestershire do you? Our daughter just got sent home today.

Our middle daughter was sick over the weekend, barfing a bit, elevated temp Monday morning, called doctor, they wouldn't see her. A 3yo, with a bug, told us to go to hospital to a secure covid unit. No wonder the hospital's are over flowing, wife only wanted a bit of reassurance it's nothing serious, just a quick doctors examination to say she's ok, but nope, turned a 3yo away because covid. If she's going to catch covid, a covid centre would be high on the list to catch it.

Nah, we're down in Buckinghamshire.

Just had another call from the school to now say all of year 7 (my lad), 8, 9 (my daughter) & 12 will be off for 2 weeks and remote learning from home. Apparently this teacher who tested positive came into contact with a dozen other teachers who now also have to self isolate.

What a fvckin palaver. 

P.S. Hope your daughter is O.K. :fc:

• Like 1