Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

So because people sit around a plastic Christmas tree and get pissed and sing a national anthem, that was adopted by this country 275 years ago you think we're mostly Christian. 

Just so it helps, I enjoy Christmas for non Christian reasons and I will sing the national anthem at an England game. But I don't give two hoots about religion and I don't do those things for religious reasons. Neither do any of my friends and family and pretty much all but a few people that I know. 

Next you'll be telling me we all believe Santa because we hand each other Christmas cards, with an image coined by Coca-Cola not that long ago. 

I ain't getting into this argument, especially with a born again christian about  but, i bet any money,  you live your life to christian principles and morals. 

Guest Harrydc

So Matt Hancock hasn't ruled out mandatory vaccines, or taking away our liberties if we do not take it. Now, I'm not fully against the idea of vaccination, but surely it should be a choice of what we put in to our body? Incredibly scary times were living in. 

2 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

So Matt Hancock hasn't ruled out mandatory vaccines, or taking away our liberties if we do not take it. Now, I'm not fully against the idea of vaccination, but surely it should be a choice of what we put in to our body? Incredibly scary times were living in. 

Come off it, he literally said they're not proposing to make it mandatory.

• Like 2

Guest Harrydc
Just now, ealingfox said:

Come off it, he literally said they're not proposing to make it mandatory.

He's always diverting his answers. If they asked me those questions which sound extreme, I would tell them they're being 'absolutely ridiculous', not say 'I'm not ruling anything out'. 

Off for a walk in covid test in 2 hours at Glenfield. Pretty slick as I only regged 5 mins ago. 

Felt a bit rough yesterday with headache and upset tummy (which aren't major symptoms of it, so I thought) and feel a bit groggy today ....but my lad's best friend has tested positive last Friday and my lad has started to feel poorly today... so thought it'd be sensible to find out one way or the other for us both 

23 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

lol

Absolute gutter journalism. Fair play to him, he would be stupid to rule anything out. She knows that and is framing it as a negative. Unfortunately not enough people can see that (specifically the talksport demographic)

• Like 2

Guest Harrydc
15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

lol

Absolute gutter journalism. Fair play to him, he would be stupid to rule anything out. She knows that and is framing it as a negative. Unfortunately not enough people can see that (specifically the talksport demographic)

So he would be stupid to rule out taking away our liberties? And what do you mean by 'talksport demographic'? I do apologise for not listening to classical music and I don't share your bourgois taste. 

On a side note, how can they trial a vaccine under the current climate of social distancing? Surely we need to see results under normal circumstances, or are we never going to see normal again? 

Edited by Harrydc

44 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

On a side note, how can they trial a vaccine under the current climate of social distancing? Surely we need to see results under normal circumstances, or are we never going to see normal again? 

If you're comparing thousands of people who have had the vaccine to thousands of people who have had a dummy vaccine then "normal circumstances" are irrelevant, the comparisons are between 2 groups of people under the same conditions. That's all it takes to work out the effectiveness they are using. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

So he would be stupid to rule out taking away our liberties? And what do you mean by 'talksport demographic'? I do apologise for not listening to classical music and I don't share your bourgois taste. 

Definitely. If they felt they had to take that direction for whatever reason all you would get is people saying "I wish he would have just been honest in the first place and said it was possible, it wouldn't be so bad then. How can we trust him?"

I love a bit of TalkSport, I think there's two types of listener. The type that listen because it's entertaining listening to people deliberately winding each other and hearing callers foam at the mouth. Then the types that take it all seriously and are foaming at the mouth. 

I know the Oxford trials have been spread over different countries

5,000 in Brazil

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-06-28-trial-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-starts-brazil

Initially 40 front line workers in Kenya to then be expanded - it also states

Kenya joins a number of countries including the United Kingdom, South Africa and Brazil who are running trials to evaluate the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine, with over 20,000 volunteers now taking part in trials across these countries.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-10-30-trials-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-begin-kenya

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

I ain't getting into this argument, especially with a born again christian about  but, i bet any money,  you live your life to christian principles and morals. 

See religion thread in a minute, I'll take the answer there. 

• Haha 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54964858

EU's budget, which includes a rona recovery fund has been blocked by Hungary and Poland.

Interesting development.

-------

But the budget and the rescue package needed unanimous support and were then blocked by Poland and Hungary.

"We cannot support the plan in its present form to tie rule of law criteria to budget decisions," said Zoltan Kovacs, a spokesman for Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban.

Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki threatened a veto last week.

On Monday, Polish Justice Minister Zbigniew Ziobro said the rule of law issue was "just a pretext".

"It is really an institutional, political enslavement, a radical limitation of sovereignty," he said.

46 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Some decent data analysis here:  https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/rcgp-surveillance-covid-19/

image.thumb.png.0334a9215e3412636573ef40bd782510.png

Key question:  What proportion of current COVID 19 figures are actually just lower/upper respiratory infections?  The current trend would suggest a pretty large decrease in these since this time last year.

From that graph, it looks like we've replaced the term lower respiratory infection with the word Covid, but what's interesting is, and i'm assuming an upper respiratory infections  are colds etc, we appear to have found a cure for them.

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

From that graph, it looks like we've replaced the term lower respiratory infection with the word Covid, but what's interesting is, and i'm assuming an upper respiratory infections  are colds etc, we appear to have found a cure for them.

Not a cure as such, but with so many people wearing masks it's only natural that fewer people are catching colds.

7 hours ago, Harrydc said:

He'd be stupid to rule out anything at this point. He can't win. Funny as this could be considered "thinking outside the box" and you've shat on it instantly, ironic given you're an advocate of that.

Are you aware how vaccine trials actually work? Vaccine trials see if the vaccine works compared to a placebo and if they're safe with no negative side effects. Being under "normal" conditions has nothing to do with a vaccine being successful. 

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

He'd be stupid to rule out anything at this point. He can't win. Funny as this could be considered "thinking outside the box" and you've shat on it instantly, ironic given you're an advocate of that.

Are you aware how vaccine trials actually work? Vaccine trials see if the vaccine works compared to a placebo and if they're safe with no negative side effects. Being under "normal" conditions has nothing to do with a vaccine being successful. 

I'm struggling to see what was funny about any of this @Harrydc:blink:

9 hours ago, Harrydc said:

It's a bit bourgeois to start throwing around French in the middle sentence though, isn't in?:ph34r: