Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

An absolute disgrace. These briefings were a genuinely good idea when they were set up, but they now serve no useful purpose. Separate ones should be held for the politicians and the scientists - mixing them together just puts the latter in an invidious position too often and their advice ends up getting lost in the political rehtoric.

They lost their touch for me pretty much when they started doing the questions from media and detracted away from the actual science and numbers available. Got a bit boring. It just paved the way for the politician/minister fronting it to dish out a rehearsed answer, same old rhetoric and same old kind of response of ambiguity and barely actually answering the question. Plus the questions themselves were useless. So many journalists missed the chance to actually quiz and test the ministers/scientists but instead sometimes they just asked the same question as the person before but in a different way. 

*I don't want this to become a politics thing again. Fully aware I mention it but it's not meant disparagingly to anyone - it's more a slant on the media briefing itself and the pointlessness of it all now! 

13 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Bicycle :) 

He is a big cyclist 

Is he cycling to get his weight down?

I have recently taken up cycling, the aim is to lose 3 stone, but after nearly 6 weeks have only lost 6lb, so dont really know if it is working.

1 hour ago, nnickn said:

I have recently taken up cycling, the aim is to lose 3 stone, but after nearly 6 weeks have only lost 6lb, so dont really know if it is working.

Not really although when he was with his last girlfriend he stopped cycling and the pounds did go on, so cycling does keep the weight down. He just is really into road and mountain biking, even when he was 14 he would cycle from Thurmaston to Loughborough and back every day for school. 

Regarding your weight, bear in mind that muscle does way more than fat so if you are building muscle from cycling the scales wont be showing you the 'fat' you have lost. Also are you dieting because even if you are doing alot of excersize and then go home and eat a ton of crap, the weight wont come off very fast, if at all. 

1 hour ago, nnickn said:

As I understand it unless you're also eating significantly less fattening foods all you're doing is turning fat into muscle which weighs more.

NB. This could be a myth.

The U.K.  rolling six day average is 169 .........that’s staying stubbornly high after it looked like it was trending back towards 150 a few days ago.... I wonder what figure the authorities are actually ‘comfortable’ with. We see other european countries now consistently below 100. 

I can t see us getting to this level for few weeks yet and by that stage, any rise in daily cases due to relaxation of restrictions may have begun to show in deaths ??

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Don't hear much about Corona in the US anymore, I know there are other issues which have pushed it into the background. 

Cases worryingly on the rise in quite a few areas but how that translates into hospitalisations remains unknown ......... it could be younger people with better access to testing now who are less likely to be badly affected ....

15 hours ago, nnickn said:

As someone else has mentioned, you have probably burnt a lot more fat than 6lb, but created extra lean muscle, so don’t be too disheartened.

My weight can yo-yo a little, and I find one of the better ways to measure my progress is to take body measurements every couple of weeks or so and monitor that (waist, chest, inner thigh). That will show if you have burnt fat a little better.

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

The U.K.  rolling six day average is 169 .........that’s staying stubbornly high after it looked like it was trending back towards 150 a few days ago.... I wonder what figure the authorities are actually ‘comfortable’ with. We see other european countries now consistently below 100. 

I can t see us getting to this level for few weeks yet and by that stage, any rise in daily cases due to relaxation of restrictions may have begun to show in deaths ??

It's still trending down, at the start of the month the 7 day average was about 260. It's been falling by an average of about 10 deaths per day over the course of this last week.

I suspect we'll be steady around the 50-100 mark, like Italy seem to have settled around.

Ignore other countries like Spain, though - their daily statistics are as fiddled as they come.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, davieG said:

As I understand it unless you're also eating significantly less fattening foods all you're doing is turning fat into muscle which weighs more.

NB. This could be a myth.

Sort of a myth, you'd be losing fat but gaining muscle mass which does weigh more than fat.

Cycling is a great weigh to get in shape but the trick to losing weight (or fat) is getting to used to eating less on the whole, and trying to eat better. I cut out carbs a few years ago and lost 3 stone in a little over a month, couple with cycling about 75 miles a week. Bread, crisps, pasta, chips, they seem to do a lot more damage than fatty foods

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Sort of a myth, you'd be losing fat but gaining muscle mass which does weigh more than fat.

Cycling is a great weigh to get in shape but the trick to losing weight (or fat) is getting to used to eating less on the whole, and trying to eat better. I cut out carbs a few years ago and lost 3 stone in a little over a month, couple with cycling about 75 miles a week. Bread, crisps, pasta, chips, they seem to do a lot more damage than fatty foods

Yeah nothing wrong with fat, especially good fats if you’re lowering your carb intake, your body uses fats for energy if there’s no carbs to burn. Stay away from saturates and you’re sound. My Mrs has an obsession with “low fat” stuff because she’s sure that fat makes you put weight on which is a bit of a myth in itself I find. Usually low fat stuff is full of sugar which is also carbohydrate which is what usually makes people put weight on because you don’t burn enough calories to burn all the carbs. I tend to carb cycle and eat more carbs on the weekend but next to none through the week (about 20/40g a day) and you do lose weight quite fast doing it this way - but it isn’t for everyone and it does depend how active you are. If you’re running every day for example it’s probably not a good idea to cut carbs out because you need those complex foods to help fuel your body for the amount of calories you’re burning. 

• Like 2

Interesting re Beijing’s mini outbreak 

Local media reports say this virus was discovered on chopping boards used for imported salmon at the market. 

China's chief epidemiologist of its Centre for Disease Control and Prevention has now said this particularly strain did not resemble the type circulating across the rest of the country - suggesting it came from elsewhere. 

For now, however, there's no clear indication of where the strain might have come from.

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Interesting re Beijing’s mini outbreak 

Local media reports say this virus was discovered on chopping boards used for imported salmon at the market. 

China's chief epidemiologist of its Centre for Disease Control and Prevention has now said this particularly strain did not resemble the type circulating across the rest of the country - suggesting it came from elsewhere. 

For now, however, there's no clear indication of where the strain might have come from.

What's interesting about it? It's been known for some time there are different strains?

56 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

What's interesting about it? It's been known for some time there are different strains?

I can’t speak for him but I would imagine the strain that we have here had already made it to China so it’s probably been the one circulating there for a few months. It could mean it’s mutated again which could be really bad news or it could back up what the Italian Dr’s have said, they think it’s less deadly than it was.