Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

No antibodies detected. I was sick in Feb and have been constantly exposed to it in masks that don't fit me very well so it's a little surprising. Most of my team who clearly had the virus have no antibodies either.

Edited by z-layrex

29 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

No antibodies detected. I was sick in Feb and have been constantly exposed to it in masks that don't fit me very well so it's a little surprising. Most of my team who clearly had the virus have no antibodies either.

Guess it raises the question as to how reliable the tests are?

4 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Is anyone actually modifying thier behaviour based on these daily changing govt guidelines?

Yes! I can go down the park! Yes! I can have a guest in the garden! Yes! I can exercise twice a day! Yes! I can drive where I want for a walk! 

I'm doing exactly nothing different now to day 1 of the lockdown. I just keep a low profile and allow people their personal space; work at home, go shopping once or twice a week, exercise as much as I want and pick the kids up from their mum's twice a week and nip round my mum's for a chat in the garden.  

There's nothing else to do, is there? All my hobbies are out; pubs, restaurants,  holidays, football and occasionally going out on the pull

My son rode upto see me on Tuesday and we sat for a few hours in the garden, 1st time i've seen him since this started so that was nice. Apart from that, no changes.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Sounds odd ...   What are your thoughts on it mate ...  

2 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Something doesn’t smell right .....

• ONS survey data suggests 70-80% of people who have coronavirus antibodies - indicating they have had the disease - did not have symptoms. This is why people are being told to isolate for the full 14 days

2 hours ago, z-layrex said:

My housemate who is a nurse had a test that apparently only detects if you've had covid in the last 28 or so...

3 hours ago, davieG said:

Especially Piers Morgan.

I actually think it is Piers Morgan who is in the wrong here with his holier-than-thou chastisement.

The professor makes a valid point, if slightly insensitively.  We do need to be asking the uncomfortable questions in order to better understand this disease and it's mortality rate.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Something doesn’t smell right .....

• ONS survey data suggests 70-80% of people who have coronavirus antibodies - indicating they have had the disease - did not have symptoms. This is why people are being told to isolate for the full 14 days

The few nurses (in my team) who have antibodies were never off sick, all female.

COVID-19 antibodies were not detected in your recent test at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust. This result means that evidence of prior COVID-19 infection was not found in your blood. Most likely you have not had the infection, but it can take some time for antibodies to develop. Also some people, especially those with mild infections, do not develop antibodies - or only at low levels that do not last long. For further information please visit https://www.gstt.nhs.uk/covid19-staff-antibody-testing

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Is anyone actually modifying thier behaviour based on these daily changing govt guidelines?

Yes! I can go down the park! Yes! I can have a guest in the garden! Yes! I can exercise twice a day! Yes! I can drive where I want for a walk! 

I'm doing exactly nothing different now to day 1 of the lockdown. I just keep a low profile and allow people their personal space; work at home, go shopping once or twice a week, exercise as much as I want and pick the kids up from their mum's twice a week and nip round my mum's for a chat in the garden.  

There's nothing else to do, is there? All my hobbies are out; pubs, restaurants,  holidays, football and occasionally going out on the pull

Pulled pork, or pulled chicken...:banana:

7 hours ago, ajthefox said:

My housemate who is a nurse had a test that apparently only detects if you've had covid in the last 28 or so...

If thats true then they are next to useless for non key workers. Due to the nature of public transport I reckon a decent proportion of people in London have had it in some form before lockdown but will never know if they did or not.

15 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

There may be some truth to his assertion, if I’ve understood it correctly, that some deaths would have occurred soon anyway. If so we should see this in a below average figure for the total death rate, I.e. a negative excess death rate over the next year or so. I believe the UK is now about down to an average death rate or maybe just above. We’ll have to see, but I’d expect to see at least a little of this effect over time.

No doubt there will be considerable research mining information from the death statistics in years to come.

Speigelhalter the ‘stats guy’ did an interview ages ago where he talked about mortality displacement where excess deaths will go up during this but will decrease in the months after the pandemic. Which would indicate what Sikora was trying to put across so terribly.

He seemed to back track on that though based on the average age of deaths from covid In this country being a lot younger than he anticipated. 

57 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

UK economy shrinks by 20.4% in April - the largest monthly contraction on record - as full impact of lockdown is felt

I can never quite understand why things that are expected and entirely predictable seem to catch the media unawares ???

’what exactly were you expecting to see from a Torquay hotel window’?  (Not that this quote will resonate for long now ....)

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Speigelhalter the ‘stats guy’ did an interview ages ago where he talked about mortality displacement where excess deaths will go up during this but will decrease in the months after the pandemic. Which would indicate what Sikora was trying to put across so terribly.

He seemed to back track on that though based on the average age of deaths from covid In this country being a lot younger than he anticipated. 

I wouldn’t speculate on the magnitude of the effect, but I’d expect something. I’d argue that Sikora has been overly optimistic in his commentary generally (from what I’ve seen), but that doesn’t mean that everything he says is wrong.

22 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Yours probably hasn’t changed much because it doesn’t sound like you were adhering to the rules initially. I’m not calling you out because what you said you’ve been doing since day 1 is probably more sensible than a lot of people. You can see why what you’ve been doing hasn’t really changed though? 

Then strict lockdown rules were clearly needed because there are far too many people without the common sense to act safely. Using a bit of nouse like you probably have done (socially distancing/good hygiene etc) and I don’t think there’s a problem. 

2 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Yours probably hasn’t changed much because it doesn’t sound like you were adhering to the rules initially. I’m not calling you out because what you said you’ve been doing since day 1 is probably more sensible than a lot of people. You can see why what you’ve been doing hasn’t really changed though? 

Then strict lockdown rules were clearly needed because there are far too many people without the common sense to act safely. Using a bit of nouse like you probably have done (socially distancing/good hygiene etc) and I don’t think there’s a problem. 

Thank you. You made my own point better than I did myself.

• Like 2

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-chief-nurse-dominic-cummings-ruth-may-daily-briefing-downing-street-a9562741.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1591964581

Ruth May was dropped because she wouldn't back Cummings in the practice questions a couple of weeks ago. Coincidentally at the time Van Tam was dropped too for his 'rules apply to all' comments... 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-chief-nurse-dominic-cummings-ruth-may-daily-briefing-downing-street-a9562741.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1591964581

Ruth May was dropped because she wouldn't back Cummings in the practice questions a couple of weeks ago. Coincidentally at the time Van Tam was dropped too for his 'rules apply to all' comments... 

An absolute disgrace. These briefings were a genuinely good idea when they were set up, but they now serve no useful purpose. Separate ones should be held for the politicians and the scientists - mixing them together just puts the latter in an invidious position too often and their advice ends up getting lost in the political rhetoric.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 2