Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

On 13/06/2020 at 10:01, RowlattsFox said:

Don't hear much about Corona in the US anymore, I know there are other issues which have pushed it into the background. 

In the interest of having a small flutter on the US election this year I thought I would start keeping a record of the effect of coronavirus.  The following represent the active cases in each of the Top 10 States (to give electoral college seats) won by the Republican Party in 2016.  The first figure shows active cases at close of play 3rd June whilst the second figure shows active cases at close of play yesterday, 14th June.  Source Worldometers.info

Texas - 22,549 cases, up to 28,905 
Florida - 47,400, up to 57,889

Pensylvania - 21,530, down to 20,537

Ohio - 27,949, up to 30,078

Georgia - 46,842, up to 53,784

Michigan - 14,547, up to 15,074

N Carolina - 12,208, up to 19,478

Arizona - 21,687, up to 28,172

Indiana - 10,158, down to 8,965

Tennessee - 8,076, up to 10,061

Come to your own conclusions.

• Like 1

So as a reward for all the times we went home late during the pandemic, plus all the stress/extra risk etc, we are getting 11 hours back.

Thats right, our bonus is less than 1 day off.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

In the interest of having a small flutter on the US election this year I thought I would start keeping a record of the effect of coronavirus.  The following represent the active cases in each of the Top 10 States (to give electoral college seats) won by the Republican Party in 2016.  The first figure shows active cases at close of play 3rd June whilst the second figure shows active cases at close of play yesterday, 14th June.  Source Worldometers.info

Texas - 22,549 cases, up to 28,905 
Florida - 47,400, up to 57,889

Pensylvania - 21,530, down to 20,537

Ohio - 27,949, up to 30,078

Georgia - 46,842, up to 53,784

Michigan - 14,547, up to 15,074

N Carolina - 12,208, up to 19,478

Arizona - 21,687, up to 28,172

Indiana - 10,158, down to 8,965

Tennessee - 8,076, up to 10,061

Come to your own conclusions.

What about the Democratic party top 10? Why's the party important, what have I missed?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

What about the Democratic party top 10? Why's the party important, what have I missed?

Possibly because several of those states are far narrower in terms of results than the top ten Dem states and as such how coronavirus happens there and the effect of this administration on it might be important?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, z-layrex said:

So as a reward for all the times we went home late during the pandemic, plus all the stress/extra risk etc, we are getting 11 hours back.

Disgraceful. But that's the love the Gov actually has for those of us in the NHS. What BJ and Hancock has said in support of us is hokum. Political rhetorical bullshit.

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Possibly because several of those states are far narrower in terms of results than the top ten Dem states and as such how coronavirus happens there and the effect of this administration on it might be important?

As I mentioned it is my background to a flutter.  None of us will be surprised to see Trump coming out all guns blazing.  His reference to Biden being “sleepy Joe” has already penetrated part of the psyche.

However, there has to come a point (I expect) when his rhetoric falls flat.  I am just interested to see how much impact this virus has on the population in these States (outside the headline deaths).

Trump will be strong on the economy (as he sees it) but what the people are experiencing work-wise and the impact of Covid on the general population in these States should have an impact ..... I will be interested in the betting on each of these States because I suspect they may deliver the biggest surprises.

Long way to go to November as leicsmac observed.  Then again, not that long.  Also a good reference point for when I intend to part with my readies (I realise that could read as crass considering the awful impact this dreadful disease can have - that is not my intent; it is more the election which could be fascinating, if you’re into that kind of thing)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Tough laws going to be brought in this week. Companies will have until the end of the year to pay back furlough or similar for self employed persons. HMRC going after some fish they reckon 

Where have you read this ???  

or are you saying that companies that didn’t actually need the money have until the end of the year to pay back the furlough money .....

6 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Disgusting mate. There should deffo be some sort of pay increase to health care professionals. Other countries have done it.

7 hours ago, z-layrex said:

I can see again Another Brain drain,if NHS Medical and Care staff, Dont get financial Recognition & respect.

BBC

New Zealand has confirmed two new cases of coronavirus, ending a 24-day streak of no new infections in the country.

Both women, who are from the same family, had travelled from the UK and were given special permission to attend the funeral of a parent.

10 hours ago, z-layrex said:

We are already paid less than in 2010 if you count inflation and pension contributions. In May Hancock said we had received a 'significant pay rise'.

The sad truth is that to pay for all of this, it's highly likely that the public sector will be called upon, again, to bail the country out.

My guess will be that this year the NHS will get an "in-line with inflation" rise and probably a bonus payment that won't be pensionable, probably around the £1,500 mark on average, spread over 12 months.  After that I can see the whole public sector having another 2 or 3 years or more of pay freezes/1% pay rises.

I would expect tax increases across the board too, but not massive. 

2 minutes ago, nnfox said:

The sad truth is that to pay for all of this, it's highly likely that the public sector will be called upon, again, to bail the country out.

My guess will be that this year the NHS will get an "in-line with inflation" rise and probably a bonus payment that won't be pensionable, probably around the £1,500 mark on average, spread over 12 months.  After that I can see the whole public sector having another 2 or 3 years or more of pay freezes/1% pay rises.

I would expect tax increases across the board too, but not massive. 

At least it's hopefully a secure job I suppose? More than many have right now.