Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

7 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Is earache/pain considered a symptom?

Youngest has gone to bed in agony with his ear and a very slightly raised temperature. 

One of the mums on the Mrs' WhatsApp group suggested it was but I've never heard that and can't find info suggesting it is.

It’s not one that I’ve heard but the thing about this disease is the varied experiences that people have who catch it ...... tbh, kids don’t generally show symptoms and earache is more reflective of a typical cold ....... best to be cautious at the moment though 

19 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Urgh, burning up and the app has told me to self isolate. Really don’t want COVID😩

Take care mate - need paracetamol to get that temp down  - don’t take any liberties with it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s not one that I’ve heard but the thing about this disease is the varied experiences that people have who catch it ...... tbh, kids don’t generally show symptoms and earache is more reflective of a typical cold ....... best to be cautious at the moment though.

That's what I said, she wants to keep him off school tomorrow. Normally I'd disagree but at the moment don't know what to do for the best.

13 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Youngest has gone to bed in agony with his ear and a very slightly raised temperature. 

One of the mums on the Mrs' WhatsApp group suggested it was but I've never heard that and can't find info suggesting it is.

It's not something that should necessarily be ignored:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/earache/

Any doubts, call 111 for advice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

As I have stuff planned in December from months ago which has already been re-arranged twice, on a purely selfish perspective, I'd rather we're out of lockdown on 2nd Dec as planned, go back to a tiered system, still have some restrictions in place over Xmas/New Year but still allow family meetings up to a certain limit at that time.

Yes that would make sense.

But now we have people almost saying they'd rather have a lockdown or two so long as they can have a family fun filled Christmas day or so. 

I am not sure people who work in hospitality or retail would want  that though.

"Sorry guys you cannot open yet, only for 4 days or so then close again"

That is going to harm a lot of jobs and businesses more than having limited restrictions generally over the next few weeks and moths until a vaccine is found.

1 hour ago, Rain King said:

It may well be an ear infection. When the body’s immune system kicks into gear, the temperature rises so it’s perfectly normal! Very unlikely to be covid! 

We know what’s going to happen if they have a short opening up over Christmas, everyone is going to rush out to the shops and pubs which will be jam packed , it’ll be mayhem and the virus will explode again. It would be far more sensible to open up in early December, with restrictions, especially over the holiday period,  as there is a longer period of time to get control on things. You simply can’t control a sudden burst of activity but you can when it’s gradual.

12 hours ago, Super_horns said:
What do people want ?
A lockdown till Christmas then open up for 4 days then close down again?
No one can really win can they ..
What ever happens people aren’t going to be happy.

Open the schools

The Govt don't care that infections will rise and people will die!

Close the schools

The Govt don't care that the poorest kids will be worst affected by lack of education!

Open businesses

The Govt don't care that infections will rise and people will die!

Close the businesses

The Govt don't care that businesses will suffer!

And repeat through all sectors...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Is it?  To be honest I would rather they actually spent the money on recruiting more staff than giving pay rises.  I expect most nurses would rather be working fully staffed than paid a few % more too.

You can't just magic nurses out of thin air, though. If nurses were paid more it might be viewed as a more viable career path and thereby bolster the pool of potential new nurses.

4 hours ago, Nod.E said:

You can't just magic nurses out of thin air, though. If nurses were paid more it might be viewed as a more viable career path and thereby bolster the pool of potential new nurses.

We all want a fair days pay for a fair days work, Thing about all services is that the people who join these professions aren’t generally in it for the wage they are in it because they are a certain type of person that want to help others.
It’s these type of people we are losing, as we as a nation, grow greedy and selfish and want want want.

Im sure a nurse on, plucking a figure out the air 25k, would rather 9 other like minded people all on 25k than 4 others on 40k but then have to do twice the shifts.

Hats off to everyone of them x

3 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

We all want a fair days pay for a fair days work, Thing about all services is that the people who join these professions aren’t generally in it for the wage they are in it because they are a certain type of person that want to help others.
It’s these type of people we are losing, as we as a nation, grow greedy and selfish and want want want.

Im sure a nurse on, plucking a figure out the air 25k, would rather 9 other like minded people all on 25k than 4 others on 40k but then have to do twice the shifts.

When we stop reducing every issue and challenge to being about money, we might get somewhere.

If you ever stop to speak to actual nurses; I doubt you'll find the entered the profession out of greed, or want of money and I also see from your post that you understand this entirely, so whilst I'm quoting you, I agree with you.

The point I'm making is that I think the constant talk of money within the NHS completely obfuscates the issue which is more likely around working conditions, which I know for fact has alienated caring nurses from the NHS.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Open the schools

The Govt don't care that infections will rise and people will die!

Close the schools

The Govt don't care that the poorest kids will be worst affected by lack of education!

Open businesses

The Govt don't care that infections will rise and people will die!

Close the businesses

The Govt don't care that businesses will suffer!

And repeat through all sectors...

No one can get it 100% right and there was always going to be thousands of deaths and millions if not billions of £s in economic disruption. Expecting Korea or Japanese results of course is completely looney as these are places with recent experience with how to fight pandemic outbreaks. We were always going to be shafted to some extent.

But if you look at Germany, they’ve tallied 13,390 deaths if the same period we’ve tallied 53,274, with much less economic disruption. And they had the same, if not slightly less time to react to the pandemic as we have. With a similar number in regards to the ageing population. 

And the thing is, I don’t think the policies themselves (bar a couple, like the 10pm pub curfew) are even necessarily wrong. It’s just that every policy seems tacked on as a reaction to the current circumstance rather than part of a coherent plan. We wasted the early opportunity to limit spread by keeping massive events like Cheltenham and the Atletico - Liverpool game running, played it down for weeks by shaking active Covid patients’ hands and no-showing COBR meetings, then when we had a three month long lockdown to get a track and trace system right, and instead we handed the whole thing to the wife of an MP with no experience in the field and got back a rubbish fire of a system in return. We came out with a new system that was swiftly discontinued (remember the Nando’s system?) and replaced with the tiering system (which was a half decent system with some tweaking), but why wasn’t that implemented from the end of the first lockdown? 

I do think the government have it lose-lose, but they’ve seemingly took the worst option at all these opportunities by dragging out decisions out or simply making them too late. Reacting too slowly to the first outbreak resulting in a three month lockdown, buggering Track & Trace and reacting too slowly to the second lockdown, resulting in what will likely again be a multi-month lockdown. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Yes that would make sense.

But now we have people almost saying they'd rather have a lockdown or two so long as they can have a family fun filled Christmas day or so. 

I am not sure people who work in hospitality or retail would want  that though.

"Sorry guys you cannot open yet, only for 4 days or so then close again"

That is going to harm a lot of jobs and businesses more than having limited restrictions generally over the next few weeks and moths until a vaccine is found.

The government clearly know Christmas gatherings and mass return of university students to hometowns is going to happen. They’re trying to lower the R number before it inevitably rises again mid-late December. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

No one can get it 100% right and there was always going to be thousands of deaths and millions if not billions of £s in economic disruption. Expecting Korea or Japanese results of course is completely looney as these are places with recent experience with how to fight pandemic outbreaks. We were always going to be shafted to some extent.

But if you look at Germany, they’ve tallied 13,390 deaths if the same period we’ve tallied 53,274, with much less economic disruption. And they had the same, if not slightly less time to react to the pandemic as we have. With a similar number in regards to the ageing population. 

And the thing is, I don’t think the policies themselves (bar a couple, like the 10pm pub curfew) are even necessarily wrong. It’s just that every policy seems tacked on as a reaction to the current circumstance rather than part of a coherent plan. We wasted the early opportunity to limit spread by keeping massive events like Cheltenham and the Atletico - Liverpool game running, played it down for weeks by shaking active Covid patients’ hands and no-showing COBR meetings, then when we had a three month long lockdown to get a track and trace system right, and instead we handed the whole thing to the wife of an MP with no experience in the field and got back a rubbish fire of a system in return. We came out with a new system that was swiftly discontinued (remember the Nando’s system?) and replaced with the tiering system (which was a half decent system with some tweaking), but why wasn’t that implemented from the end of the first lockdown? 

I do think the government have it lose-lose, but they’ve seemingly took the worst option at all these opportunities by dragging out decisions out or simply making them too late. Reacting too slowly to the first outbreak resulting in a three month lockdown, buggering Track & Trace and reacting too slowly to the second lockdown, resulting in what will likely again be a multi-month lockdown. 

Germans, like the Scandi countries, tend to do what they're told. Better off comparing us to France, whose "**** off" attitude seems more akin to us lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Germans, like the Scandi countries, tend to do what they're told. Better off comparing us to France, whose "**** off" attitude seems more akin to us lol

Yeah I guess you’re not wrong there either lol 

23 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

You're definitely right in that they're in it because of the caring type of person they are rather than to make money.

It's a total guess but I'm just wagering there has to be a proportion of would-be nurses put off by the low salary, even if they are the caring type?

That's not to say they're in it for the money, just a practical view that even though nursing is what they would like to do, realistically it might not be practical for many.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

You're definitely right in that they're in it because of the caring type of person they are rather than to make money.

It's a total guess but I'm just wagering there has to be a proportion of would-be nurses put off by the low salary, even if they are the caring type?

That's not to say they're in it for the money, just a practical view that even though nursing is what they would like to do, realistically it might not be practical for many.

It really is a tough one, and I don’t know enough about the nursing profession to have much of an input. However, it’s the same as many jobs in the public sector. One role can vary so much, some will deserve more than they earn and some will deserve what they earn. 

The thing is, and this applies to my profession too. People training to be nurses, police, firemen etc... know what they’ll be earning before they even take it on. The pay scales are very public. Whether you know what will be expected of you in that role is another matter. Clamouring for a pay rise because something has happened and the job has become tough doesn’t wash with me. 

I’m not saying anyone’s pay is fair, nurses for example. They do a great job, they are needed by us all. I think a bonus for the true frontline staff during the pandemic would’ve been a very fair compromise. 

Edit. I’m not downplaying any of the jobs I mentioned. I imagine they can all be extremely testing and each one is put in harms way in different respects. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

• Leicester: 527.9

• Blaby: 440.3

• Charnwood: 385.3

• Harborough: 320.9

• Hinckley and Bosworth: 337.6

• Melton: 458.9

• North West Leicestershire: 420.8

• Oadby and Wigston: 510.4

latest 7 day Infection rates per 100 in Leicestershire.

Oadby/Wigston and Blaby in comparison to Leicester (City) is quite concerning given the amount of people in each area. Figures like this suggest that increasing the lockdown beyond 3rd December may be on the cards for the county at least. 

• Like 1

Not sure about anyone else but I have to admit that I'm struggling with motivation this week in respect of everything, the lowest I've been throughout the pandemic. At least in March and April we could accept it a bit more.

Was clinging onto the hope of things opening up in December on the basis of accepting a January lockdown but the latest soundbites of 'for every one day restrictions are lifted we have to lockdown for 5' or 'its was the big blowout prior to the last lockdown that is causing cases to stay high' are both demoralising as I cant see us not going into lockdown in January regardless of what opens up or not in December. Whats the solution, staying in this form of lockdown until the vaccine gets rolled out to everyone by at least the summer?

Opening things for Christmas Day only is all well and good but there are milions who need to travel hundreds of miles to see family, most of which have been very compliant since March.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:
  • Leicester: 527.9

• Blaby: 440.3

• Charnwood: 385.3

• Harborough: 320.9

• Hinckley and Bosworth: 337.6

• Melton: 458.9

• North West Leicestershire: 420.8

• Oadby and Wigston: 510.4

latest 7 day Infection rates per 100 in Leicestershire.

Oadby/Wigston and Blaby in comparison to Leicester (City) is quite concerning given the amount of people in each area. Figures like this suggest that increasing the lockdown beyond 3rd December may be on the cards for the county at least. 

Kin el, 527.9 per 100, even the numbers people are getting confused.

• Haha 1