Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

I presume everyone comparing to New Zealand has been to the country and understand population density etc?

I'd also presume that people looking at comparisons to NZ also compare the UK to South Korea, which has similar population, landmass size and higher population density (due to a lot of it being mountainous) yet is doing far better than the UK thus far.

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

I presume everyone comparing to New Zealand has been to the country and understand population density etc?

It's not comparing, it's releasing that areas of the world where corona viruses are a very likely risk, actually have a lot of experience of dealing with it and then understanding that one of these viruses may spread around the world and then taking the necessary precautions in the event that they do. That is what world leaders are supposed to do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

What he says about it being more transmittable but less severe (high frequency, low severity) and herd immunity is interesting. You'd think they know what they're talking about to. It passes the 'logic' test.

As for it definitely being less serious though; do we know this? Plenty hospitalised down here.

Its Early doors...we Dont know what the new strain Brings with it...

I will carry on , as if its still dangerous as the Original Virus characteristics...

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'd also presume that people looking at comparisons to NZ also compare the UK to South Korea, which has similar population, landmass size and higher population density (due to a lot of it being mountainous) yet is doing far better than the UK thus far.

South Korea is awesome and the UK is awful, we get it already.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

The government response should have been employ the 90,000 nurses required to man the nightingale hospitals from eastern europe and paid them top whack to entice them here, we wouldn't still be stuck in a position that we need to protect the nhs, by now we would have saved an awful lot of money and an awful lot of lives and the government would be congratulated for having the foresight to put an effective plan into action. Instead we're no better off than 10 months ago. 

Don’t you think the good countries of Eastern Europe may have something to say about that?They have their own shortages in trained medical staff and their own problems with COVID-19.It’s only Eastern European’s though so who cares.

5 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Don’t you think the good countries of Eastern Europe may have something to say about that?They have their own shortages in trained medical staff and their own problems with COVID-19.It’s only Eastern European’s though so who cares.

What are you going on about, countries in eastern europe already provides the nhs with highly trained nurses, the main reason being it's a lot cheaper to train a nurse than it is in this country so a lot more can be trained, but working in this country provides a far higher wage.

Not closing commercial travel when Lombardy went under (minus those returning Brits, with enforced quarantine on return) cost us gravely, the whole ordeal since has been a reactive firefight and we’ve barely succeeded at that.

I don’t think there’s any way we’d get away with it forever (based on our geographic and logistical position and how even Germany as the best performing European country are now overwhelmed) but it would have saved many more lives and months of economic misery. As an island we were in the best position to keep on top of it in Europe but we’ve paid for our early complacency. 

If we were only now being put into a proper lockdown like Germany, you’d probably see the level of compliance we saw in March, and with the vaccine roll out we’d be laughing come April as the numbers likely to be hospitalised drop with immunisation. 

2 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Not closing commercial travel when Lombardy went under (minus those returning Brits, with enforced quarantine on return) cost us gravely, the whole ordeal since has been a reactive firefight and we’ve barely succeeded at that.

I don’t think there’s any way we’d get away with it forever (based on our geographic and logistical position and how even Germany as the best performing European country are now overwhelmed) but it would have saved many more lives and months of economic misery. As an island we were in the best position to keep on top of it in Europe but we’ve paid for our early complacency. 

If we were only now being put into a proper lockdown like Germany, you’d probably see the level of compliance we saw in March, and with the vaccine roll out we’d be laughing come April as the numbers likely to be hospitalised drop with immunisation. 

If we turned the clocks back 10 months and knowing what we do now, what do you think the government would do?

The New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG) has been set up to advise the government on the threat posed by new and emerging respiratory viruses.

https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/new-and-emerging-respiratory-virus-threats-advisory-group

Guess who's on the board? Professor Neil Ferguson: Medical Research Council, Imperial College London.

It's like when Peter Taylor kept getting work even though he's utterly dreadful at his joblol

6 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Who will be thumbing their nose at the new xmas rules then?

Original plan was for sister to come up from London. If we do follow the new rules, I'll be on me tod. Unsure what to do and rather sad about the whole thing.

I won't be.  Kids will miss out on seeing grandparents and extended family. But the rules are there for a reason, so I'll stick to it. 

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It hasn't taken long for someone to critically dissect yesterday's latest press conference of doom...

20201220_121240.jpg

20201220_121317.jpg

20201220_121339.jpg

20201220_121411.jpg

Whilst he talks perfect sense regarding the mutation of the virus and the evolution of it. He likely is correct that this isn't causing illness  or mild illness at worst, it's a huge gamble to play by not acting and using the herd immunity card again. Especially at a time where family gatherings are frequent. 

39 minutes ago, Nalis said:

25 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

apart from if you're LBGT or Chinese, but we won't talk about that, much in the same way the South Koreans won't.

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__conte

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Well in this matter, they are, yeah.

But the massive issues with gender equality, workplace culture and white-collar corruption, among other things, means the picture isn't 100% rosy.

28 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

apart from if you're LBGT or Chinese, but we won't talk about that, much in the same way the South Koreans won't.

That too.

Believe me, I'm painting Korea as an example to follow in the context of this matter only, if that wasn't already clear.

6 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

When Jesus talks about judging others, he says, "Don't judge, so that you won't be judged. For with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged: and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but don't consider the beam that is in your own eye?" (Matthew 7:1-3)

Now i know why i’ve never read the bible 

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

What are you going on about, countries in eastern europe already provides the nhs with highly trained nurses, the main reason being it's a lot cheaper to train a nurse than it is in this country so a lot more can be trained, but working in this country provides a far higher wage.

Hence why they have shortages in trained medical staff.That and an ageing population.You think it’s a good idea to knab a good 5% of the usual suspect countries nurses.Who can barely afford that loss at the best of times,let alone at the start of a pandemic.What state would their health systems be in now?If the States pulled a stunt like that on the UK I would count it as an act of war.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

When Jesus talks about judging others, he says, "Don't judge, so that you won't be judged. For with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged: and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but don't consider the beam that is in your own eye?" (Matthew 7:1-3)

Don’t go out but go out if you can’t go out.

Part of the government's difficulty is that people think more about their own relations than they do about some unspecified person they have never heard of and never will.

There are many many people, old people particularly, who have had a fairly hellish year and since October have been sustained (or partly sustained) by the knowledge that, come Christmas, they will be able to see at least some of their family for a few days.  And at the last minute they are told it ain't happening.  If you have an elderly parent in that position, you know for certain that they will be very, very upset.  (You also know that there is perhaps a 1 in 500 or 1 in 1,000 chance that you yourself might be infected with coronavirus.)

And then the government and its scientists, who you know are bumbling, indecisive, incompetent, and unable to predict events more than a few days in advance, tell you that for the benefit of some unspecified person who you have never met, it would be better to leave your parents to their crushing disappointment.  You know they have got almost everything else wrong but are asked to take this one on trust.

What are you going to do?