Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

On 21/12/2020 at 19:40, Nick said:

Did he have any info on digital vaccine chips, 5G or the conspiracy to prevent us playing the euro millions lottery? (I mean either your mate or the funeral director here - just as long as it’s confirmed ad hoc heresay)

lol 

I know, as usual when I rush a post in with little explanation, I'm wide open to a few witty retorts ...   :)

But just to clarify ..   my mate runs a pretty successful business in Leicester and was ringing round a few people that he knew to try and drum up a bit of business.   One guy was a funeral director and it was him that told him about the complete lack of deaths by flu and pneumonia and that overall the death rate was down compared to this period last year ...   obviously older people are still dying from these two causes so I assume they are being classed as Covid or the isolation from Covid is helping to stop the transmission of them.  Either way it might show why due to the way we record deaths our figures can look at lot worse than in other countries ...   and i found it very interesting that during this period the death rate had gone down ...   maybe people not going out had helped to reduce that ..  e.g.less accidents.  Who knows. He might have been talking complete bolox tbf but my mate rang another contact, who also happened to be a funeral director, and asked him the same questions and got virtually the same answers ...   it was the second one who mentioned the young car crash victim and from the detail he told me (I didn't want to repeat it) ..  it did sound authentic.  Neither of the funeral directors knew each other personally.

Sorry Swanny ...   no info on digital vaccine chips or 5G ...   or even the lottery I'm afraid ! ...    :D

40 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Fair few more places in Tier 4 and Tier 3. Worrying another new strain has been detected, linked to 2 people returning from South Africa. 

New mutations of the virus were expected, no? 

It's a good thing it looks to have been caught early and those cases and close contacts have been quarantined. Let's hope other cases haven't transmitted as fast if any. 

31 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I don’t doubt we need to be careful with this new variant, but I do think it’s been used as their get out clause after overpromising re Christmas plans 

I agree. It all seems a bit timely dare I say. Paves the way for lockdown in January, the cynical side of me thinks! 

• Like 1

I’m taking part in vaccine trials and the way the doctor described the way it works to me gives me a fair amount of confidence that just because a virus mutates like it’s expected to do, it doesn’t mean it will escape vaccines straight away.

The one I’m in trials for was described to me as, it’s looking for a man in a red jacket. This man in the red jacket has a moustache, glasses, and brown hair, however, the vaccine is looking only for a man in a red jacket and to stop him. I probably described that horribly! 

The good thing about this generation of vaccines coming out is that, they can be easily adapted, should a virus mutate massively. 

• Like 2

Just now, Izzy said:

The shittest bit for me in tier 4 is the gym being closed. It's fvcking with my mental and physical health tbh.

I've just got back from doing my Xmas food shopping in Tesco and it was rammed. People in there with no masks, bumping into each other's trollies, and people literally tripping over each other.

I still don't get why the gym has to close but busy shops can stay open. The gym were doing everything right to keep people safe and I felt less exposed there than I do in the shops.

I'm bored of banging on about it now but it's really getting me down.

I agree completely with you about the gym, I’ve always felt safe there. 

I know it’s not the same but are any member of staff from your gym doing online classes/PT sessions? That’s what I took up this week and although nowhere near as good as being in the gym, was nice to have that social interaction and a workout.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Nearly 40,000 new cases 

Worth context however - yesterday over 450k tests were carried out. Last seven days we've averaged nearly 350k tests. Even that's specimen date and for some reason, there appears to be a bit of lag on that - picking up positive tests today which were carried out previously. 

I've just picked out a date in November to compare; for example November 17th - 23 173 positives out of 283, 358 - 8.2% positive tests, yesterday 36 809 positives out of 453 903 tests - 8.1% positive tests. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

I agree completely with you about the gym, I’ve always felt safe there. 

I know it’s not the same but are any member of staff from your gym doing online classes/PT sessions? That’s what I took up this week and although nowhere near as good as being in the gym, was nice to have that social interaction and a workout.

I'm with Pure Gym and I'm not sure if they do online classes but I'll look into it. I have a few free weights at home but it's just not the same for me. I hate running outdoors in the pissing wind and rain and really miss the treadmill.

I know it's first world problems and it won't be forever, but going to the gym was my few hours each day out of the house and it broke the monotony of staring at a screen and shouting at the wife and kids.

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Worth context however - yesterday over 450k tests were carried out. Last seven days we've averaged nearly 350k tests. Even that's specimen date and for some reason, there appears to be a bit of lag on that - picking up positive tests today which were carried out previously. 

I've just picked out a date in November to compare; for example November 17th - 23 173 positives out of 283, 358 - 8.2% positive tests, yesterday 36 809 positives out of 453 903 tests - 8.1% positive tests. 

Where do you find the numbers of tests please?  I've been looking on google and couldn't find it.

14 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

And Novavax! That has potential to be the best out of the lot... 

Maybe. But that isn't due to be ready until next Autumn at the earliest is it? I don't think they have really started phase 3 trials yet but maybe I'm wrong?

Wouldn't be surprised to see a full lockdown in January and then another one in March.

22 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

That smirk from Hancock as he said 'Happy Christmas' before walking offlol I'd love to punch him.

Like when I switched on the tv last week and the first thing I heard was boris wishing everyone ‘a very merry little Christmas’ lol I couldn’t help but laugh as I could imagine the raging masses hurling abuse at their TV sets lol 

5 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Where do you find the numbers of tests please?  I've been looking on google and couldn't find it.

It's on the dash board - here's the specific section to tests - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing

It's worth noting our testing capacity has absolutely shot up in the last seven days - I wonder whether that's in relation to the travel arrangement services which are now in place. Are we seeing these tests increase because people are using to test themselves before seeing family or travel? I am speculating here but it just furthers the need for me to pointed out the importance of the hospitalisation rate more than anything else. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing

If you click United Kingdom at the top you can specific areas or regions to look at, this shows the percentage of positive tests and the number of people tested in the last 7 days.