Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

7 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

Surprise surprise. Theres a reason why Leicester will not be coming out of any sort of restriction any time soon but the cucks on here and in the government are too shit scared to say anything.

Clearly you're too scared to say it as well.

• Like 1

Has the ratio of reported "deaths" to confirmed cases ever been lower than what it is now? 

Last numbers on the Google tracker were 33364 cases and 215 deaths for the 21st Dec.

More tests = more cases obviously but there has to be some kind of scalability. Imagine the numbers of actual cases in March/April to get to 1000 deaths a day :jawdrop:

18 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Has the ratio of reported "deaths" to confirmed cases ever been lower than what it is now? 

Last numbers on the Google tracker were 33364 cases and 215 deaths for the 21st Dec.

More tests = more cases obviously but there has to be some kind of scalability. Imagine the numbers of actual cases in March/April to get to 1000 deaths a day :jawdrop:

Those 215 deaths will be for cases reported 3 weeks ago. There is a time lag.

We'll see how many deaths this week's number correlate to in about 3 weeks time.

More of the country going to Tier 4 on Boxing Day it seems. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Genuine question (I don't know the answer), how much of the current panic is a result of confirmed positive cases?

Is the factor of increased testing from people wanting 'confirmation' they're not infectious before visiting family for Christmas being taken into consideration?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

We'll see how many deaths this week's number correlate to in about 3 weeks time.

Or, how many tested positive 3 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

As a university student, I can tell you it’s fvcking pointless the students living in their accommodation as all the learning is done online anyway. 

Exactly, unless your course involves coming into the lab, there isn't a huge point being there. 

Whereas a lab is basically free for all again 

36 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

With respect, the "time lag" had been quoted for months and the deaths haven't got anywhere near the peak of the first wave. Two weeks ago we still posted 14000 ish cases a day, again higher than the peak of the first wave daily infections but about a third of the corresponding deaths after the "time lag". 3 weeks ago the cases were about the same. 

Like I say, I dread to think how many cases we actually had when the deaths were north of 1000 a day. It must have been pushing 100K cases a day given some rough maths.

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

With respect, the "time lag" had been quoted for months and the deaths haven't got anywhere near the peak of the first wave. Two weeks ago we still posted 14000 ish cases a day, again higher than the peak of the first wave daily infections but about a third of the corresponding deaths after the "time lag". 3 weeks ago the cases were about the same. 

Like I say, I dread to think how many cases we actually had when the deaths were north of 1000 a day. It must have been pushing 100K cases a day given some rough maths.

Oh I agree 100%. Deaths peaked at nearly 700 in the second wave, still 500 or so short of first wave. 

It would appear our recorded cases in wave 3 are going to be bigger than wave 2 so it will be interesting if they reach the 1000 mark again... let's hope not.

Screenshot_20201222_233639.jpg

Screenshot_20201222_233627.jpg

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

More tests = more cases obviously but there has to be some kind of scalability. Imagine the numbers of actual cases in March/April to get to 1000 deaths a day 

About 15,000 confirmed cases per day three weeks ago.  As a rule of thumb they have been estimating that about half the cases are not being confirmed, so perhaps 30,000 total cases.

What they aren't saying is how many cases are being tested, and especially how many cases with symptoms vs. cases with no symptoms are being tested.  If they properly analyse different reasons for testing - perhaps into group such as, group 1 suffering symptoms, group 2 no symptoms but been in contact, group 3 random testing- and analyses those data along with the percentages testing positive, they will get a much better idea of how it is spreading and how much of the increase in confirmed cases is caused by increased testing.  I'm sure they must be doing that analysis, but they aren't telling us the results.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, String fellow said:

I'm reluctant to provide it, as it might give Guardian readers brain strain. Nevertheless here goes. RNA is a single-stranded nucleic acid, which is unstable and easily degrades. But it can be synthesized into complementary DNA, in which the uracil(U) nucleotide in RNA changes to thymine(T), and this pairs up with adenine(A). The stable cDNA produced is then sequenced, which is why T appears in the sequencing of SARS-CoV-2. The entire genome has over 29,900 nucleotides in total.  

Literally every plagiarism system in the world is going mental now..

18 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Source? There isn't one, so please don't accuse me of plagiarism. I have a strong interest in genetics and have studied it at length in recent years. It's a fascinating subject.   

Mate, I didn't, and in any case it really doesn't matter if you copy bits of info on a football forum. What's quite funny is that student work about genetics might now be cross referenced with the place.

The AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine could be approved by regulators just after Christmas, according to a medical scientist.

Professor Sir John Bell said he expects the vaccine - which has been developed by Oxford University researchers - to get the green light "pretty shortly".

He told the Today programme that the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has received "multiple sets of data" about the vaccine.

"So we are getting to be about prime time now, I would expect some news pretty shortly," he added.

"I doubt we'll make Christmas now, but just after Christmas I would expect.

"I have no concerns whatsoever that the data looks better than ever."

The government has ordered 100 million doses of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, with around 40 million to be made available by the end of March.
Approval of the vaccine would help boost the UK's battle against Covid-19 as it is easier to distribute than the Pfizer/BioNTech jab - which is currently being administered to certain groups across the UK.

Edited by StanSP

8 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

BBC News - Coronavirus: Vaccinate more people with one dose, urges Tony Blair
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55410349

Having had a flick through this, I don't think I agree. 

For a 4% increase it surely makes sense to give people 90% chance of being protected when they currently have 0% chance?

17 hours ago, Buce said:

He asked valid questions, though, even if that's inconvenient for your political bias.

Edit: Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood who you were referring to - I initially assumed it was Richard Burnett. What do you think of what he had to say re: transport issues?

Yes all valid points on the drivers.  Really harsh on them, and I hope they can now get home, and if they cannot we should be providing temporary accommodation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

For a 4% increase it surely makes sense to give people 90% chance of being protected when they currently have 0% chance?

Is that even correct? I’m sure I’ve heard one dose isn’t particularly effective at all yet alone 90%