Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Can they start compulsory testing in airports now that these new strains and variants are coming about? They should have done this way earlier but perhaps now would be a good time to implement it, especially for when all these restrictions get lifted from other countries. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, reynard said:

Maybe. But that isn't due to be ready until next Autumn at the earliest is it? I don't think they have really started phase 3 trials yet but maybe I'm wrong?

Wouldn't be surprised to see a full lockdown in January and then another one in March.

Given the supposed infectivity of the new strain, i can't see anywhere now in Tier 4 escaping it until "enough" people have been vaccinated, however many that is. It'll be a de facto national lockdown for at least 3 months imo once other areas get moved up Tiers.

It really all hinges now on the successful rollout of the Oxford Vaccine, as it's much easier in theory to roll that one out at massive scale compared to the Pfizer vaccine.

Edited by martyn

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Can they start compulsory testing in airports now that these new strains and variants are coming about? They should have done this way earlier but perhaps now would be a good time to implement it, especially for when all these restrictions get lifted from other countries. 

I stated they should right at the start, others on here disagreed, i wonder after so many deaths in the UK people still don't think airport tests would've made any difference.

• Like 2

Just now, st albans fox said:

Help me out here - if you’ve come in from s Africa they want you to quarantine for two weeks.  I thought that was the instruction anyway????

Yeah that was my thought as well - ironically I have had a project not finish today because the metalworker who fits and manufacturers the handrails had to go S.Africa for sadly his mother's funeral at the start of December. He's only just been allowed to leave his home and measure up my project. 

49 minutes ago, Corky said:

With my area now being in Tier 4, I wonder how the second home owners who escaped Tier 4 for Christmas will now get back?

That's a good point actually.

There will be a lot of people dotted around the country who shouldn't be that need to get back somehow.

I wonder if they'll be harsh with the fines.

31 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Help me out here - if you’ve come in from s Africa they want you to quarantine for two weeks.  I thought that was the instruction anyway????

Not into conspiracy theories but honestly believe they're making stuff up now. They've ballsed up once with a mutant virus to excuse them backtracking, now they're claiming its being flown in from South Africa to excuse that. I wonder whether its all scare mongering as with the vaccine they think the end is in sight. I get its difficult but the government haven't looked competent at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It's on the dash board - here's the specific section to tests - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing

It's worth noting our testing capacity has absolutely shot up in the last seven days - I wonder whether that's in relation to the travel arrangement services which are now in place. Are we seeing these tests increase because people are using to test themselves before seeing family or travel? I am speculating here but it just furthers the need for me to pointed out the importance of the hospitalisation rate more than anything else. 

With 8% testing positive, meaning over 90% testing negative, you would hope so.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

The shittest bit for me in tier 4 is the gym being closed. It's fvcking with my mental and physical health tbh.

I've just got back from doing my Xmas food shopping in Tesco and it was rammed. People in there with no masks, bumping into each other's trollies, and people literally tripping over each other.

I still don't get why the gym has to close but busy shops can stay open. The gym were doing everything right to keep people safe and I felt less exposed there than I do in the shops.

I'm bored of banging on about it now but it's really getting me down.

Well, if you're gonna shop with all the chavs...

I had you down as a Waitrose kind of guy.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

The shittest bit for me in tier 4 is the gym being closed. It's fvcking with my mental and physical health tbh.

I've just got back from doing my Xmas food shopping in Tesco and it was rammed. People in there with no masks, bumping into each other's trollies, and people literally tripping over each other.

I still don't get why the gym has to close but busy shops can stay open. The gym were doing everything right to keep people safe and I felt less exposed there than I do in the shops.

And surely herein lies the problem? People are wondering why they are in tier 4, but still can't follow the advice we've had for most of this year. Keep away from other people and wear a mask, it's not difficult to understand is it? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

And surely herein lies the problem? People are wondering why they are in tier 4, but still can't follow the advice we've had for most of this year. Keep away from other people and wear a mask, it's not difficult to understand is it? 

But my glasses :o

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

New mutations of the virus were expected, no? 

It's a good thing it looks to have been caught early and those cases and close contacts have been quarantined. Let's hope other cases haven't transmitted as fast if any. 

Yeah, they're expected and aren't a shock at all. Just something to watch out for and see how the virus develops, it'll evolve to "beat" how we're controlling it, look at asymptomatic cases increasing.

1 hour ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

I’m taking part in vaccine trials and the way the doctor described the way it works to me gives me a fair amount of confidence that just because a virus mutates like it’s expected to do, it doesn’t mean it will escape vaccines straight away.

The one I’m in trials for was described to me as, it’s looking for a man in a red jacket. This man in the red jacket has a moustache, glasses, and brown hair, however, the vaccine is looking only for a man in a red jacket and to stop him. I probably described that horribly! 

The good thing about this generation of vaccines coming out is that, they can be easily adapted, should a virus mutate massively. 

Actually a very decent analogy there, explains the core concept of this vaccine well. Hopefully this clarifies things for those who may be a tad confused. 

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Fully agree with you, I've felt safer at the gym than I ever did commuting to or being at work. 

It's not even difficult to picture how gyms could be made even safer than they currently are, just reduce capacity more. The closing of gyms hasn't made sense for a while. 

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Those goalposts just keep on movinglol

I think in general they just need to stop saying when things will get back to normal by. Johnson said it in summer that we'll have 'normality by Christmas' then said recently we'll have normality by Easter. 

If he doesn't know, and I don't see how anyone can know, they shouldn't be saying it and giving people false hope. Just adds weight to the fair criticism of the government constantly overpromising and under delivering. I think that will be one of the main character traits of these inept people in charge as to how they'll be remembered for governing this country. 

• Like 4

Same goes for pubs as gyms imo, always seemed really safe when I was at work, compared to supermarkets, schools and workplaces etc, the stats I glanced at from Gary neville (has a hand in the industry so may be biased) seemed to indicate that infection rates at pubs were all but non existent. Yet they, like gyms are shut crippling business while supermarkets seem to be rammed to breaking point, workplaces are bustling and schools are all still open with classes of 30, it just doesn't make sense to me. 

Just now, StanSP said:

I think in general they just need to stop saying when things will get back to normal by. Johnson said it in summer that we'll have 'normality by Christmas' then said recently we'll have normality by Easter. 

If he doesn't know, and I don't see how anyone can know, they shouldn't be saying it and giving people false hope. Just adds weight to the fair criticism of the government constantly overpromising and under delivering. I think that will be one of the main character traits of these inept people in charge as to how they'll be remembered for governing this country. 

So far we've had 3 weeks to flatten the curve, back to normal by April, back to normal by July, back to normal by October, back to normal by Christmas, back to normal by Spring 2021, back to normal by April 2021 and now back to normal by 2022.

This is reason number one I can see social distancing staying for the long term, maybe even masks too.

• Like 1

Did anyone really expect those in Government to say “When will it end? Pfffh. No bloody idea mate!”, they have to try to remain positive.

Just hope that lessons are learnt, and the Idiots Guide to Managing a Pandemic is getting updated as frequently as the changing messages.

• Like 3

Without a vaccine there was no way of predicting when. Now a vaccine is available, unless things go dramatically tits up. Like millions of doses being contminated or lost, we should be hitting the point of looser restrictions by March, with them getting looser and looser over the next 3 months. Then by June we should be pretty much open again. If the vaccine doesn't work as well as expected or the government somehow manages to mess up the roll out, I think we will need to open up regardless and attack it from a different angle anyway, because the world needs to get moving again.

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

So far we've had 3 weeks to flatten the curve, back to normal by April, back to normal by July, back to normal by October, back to normal by Christmas, back to normal by Spring 2021, back to normal by April 2021 and now back to normal by 2022.

This is reason number one I can see social distancing staying for the long term, maybe even masks too.

I don't mind the mask-wearing, personally. Happy to live with that if it means less germs being spread, not just COVID. 

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Did anyone really expect those in Government to say “When will it end? Pfffh. No bloody idea mate!”, they have to try to remain positive.

Just hope that lessons are learnt, and the Idiots Guide to Managing a Pandemic is getting updated as frequently as the changing messages.

Well no, but they can still be positive without putting a specific time-frame each time. Set themselves up to fail don't they?

'just hope that lessons are learnt'. Good luck with that!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I genuinely think some people have given up with 'social distancing'.

I remember in the spring when it was all the rage and people would literally cross the street to avoid others. 

Now many people don't seem to give a shit about keeping a 2m distance. 

• Like 1