Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

10 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

Did you try and get an online delivery slot during the first lockdown??

Yes; tried and succeeded; but maybe availability varied by company / region?

I did end up with some 'less convenient' slots; but beats going to the shops.

I do appreciate that we can't have everyone doing it. Maybe those identified as having unique challenges, ie single parents etc, should get priority? Maybe they already do?

53 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I actually didn’t think I could be more astounded by ineptitude during this pandemic but the government saying tougher measures are inevitable and the data showing a massive ****ing problem for the health service over the coming weeks but not actually doing them and thus allowing things to keep getting worse tops the lot. It does not convey the seriousness of the situation very well and probably encourages the proliferation of more arse wipes that seem to have forgotten about the pandemic doing whatever they please.

Also Matt Hancock saying he’s really worried about the South Africa variant and we are still yet to attempt to control the borders. The last 5 years of politics has been a repetition of ‘take back control’ and we haven’t even tried to control our borders from a health perspective during a pandemic.

It’s been the exact same story since March mate.

They delay, delay and delay, before it’s slightly too late, when anybody with a working brain can see what’s coming a mile off.

Then when they do decide to put restrictions in place, they end up relaxing them too early.

I said on this thread the other week, it baffles me that this has been going on since March, yet they still don’t realise what works and what doesn’t, when it’s clear as fvcking day what works and what doesn’t.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Yes; tried and succeeded; but maybe availability varied by company / region?

I did end up with some 'less convenient' slots; but beats going to the shops.

I do appreciate that we can't have everyone doing it. Maybe those identified as having unique challenges, ie single parents etc, should get priority? Maybe they already do?

Not that I’m aware of think it’s just a free for all.

59 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I actually didn’t think I could be more astounded by ineptitude during this pandemic but the government saying tougher measures are inevitable and the data showing a massive ****ing problem for the health service over the coming weeks but not actually doing them and thus allowing things to keep getting worse tops the lot. It does not convey the seriousness of the situation very well and probably encourages the proliferation of more arse wipes that seem to have forgotten about the pandemic doing whatever they please.

Also Matt Hancock saying he’s really worried about the South Africa variant and we are still yet to attempt to control the borders. The last 5 years of politics has been a repetition of ‘take back control’ and we haven’t even tried to control our borders from a health perspective during a pandemic.

:appl:

4 minutes ago, kyleolly said:
12 minutes ago, JonnyBoy said:

what does her full lockdown entail? Everything closed stay at home unless you work in the emergency services or the army 

I have read it as work from home if you can. only travel to work if you can't work from home. I might be wrong but looks similar to our tier 4 

" New laws will require people to stay at home and work from home where possible.

Outdoor gatherings are also to be cut back, with people only allowed to meet one person from one other household.

Places of worship are to be closed, group exercise banned, and schools will largely operate via online and remote learning until at least February.

These rules will apply across the Scottish mainland until at least the end of January, and will be kept under review. " 

Edited by JonnyBoy

16 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

Now appears that local authorities are taking things into their own hands, seeing as the government are dithering again over shutting schools. Just been informed that my daughters primary school is not to be opening tomorrow. This gives parents plenty of time to sort out childcare!

Was hoping that my kids school was going to do the same but they have messaged to say they are open 🙈

17 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Have you thought of it from a pensioner's point of view?  When the only reason you can leave the house is to go shopping, then shopping becomes an attractive outing.  For some pensioners - not all - they idea of going out and risking coronavirus is more attractive than the idea of stopping in and losing their mind to dementia.

Losing your social life is a but of a beggar for someone who goes to work and meets people there, or for that matter who meets people on line.  If your social life is all you have, then losing it is more than a bit of a beggar.

I appreciate that, but I'm talking about couples and groups who are doing this. We sadly lost an elderly neighbour over Christmas and have a widowed pensioner the other side of us, so I'm well aware of how harsh this pandemic has been on old people - regardless of what kind of health they're in.

At the end of the day though, all throughout this pandemic we've been told to act as though we're carrying the virus when out in public - something I do when I'm out shopping. But there's not much I'd be able to do in terms of not passing it on, if I have it, when couples in their 60s and 70s are barging past me in the aisles and reaching by me at the shelves rather than keeping their distance? I understand shopping can be a social event if it's the only time you interact with other people each week (guess what, that's the same for all of us at the minute though!) but most of us have made huge sacrifices and limited the contact we have with others too for the greater good. It's just slightly galling when you see those who are most at risk act as if they're completely oblivious to that and just carrying on regardless.

31 minutes ago, filbertway said:

That's the only one I can think of. The amount of people that are looking after kids alone and have nobody to contact who could do a basic shopping run for them must be miniscule.

Yeah. I'm certain those people do exist and we definitely need to do all we can to support them, but I look at the vast, vast majority of groups in supermarkets and think: "Really?"

• Like 2

Boris presser tonight at 8 - National Lockdown.

How they've made the same mistakes dithering over and over again is just ridiculous.

Can't comprehend how ludicrous it is to have some schools back open for 1 day..

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Md9 said:

Was hoping that my kids school was going to do the same but they have messaged to say they are open 🙈

1 minute ago, kyleolly said:

I wish my kids school would make a decision either way so I know where we stand

I applaud my kids school for making the decision.

Since her school reopened, they have never had all the pupils there due to 'bubble' having to isolate.

I just feel for those parents now having to make last minute childcare decisions. I am fortunate that I can work from home. Others not so much.

7 minutes ago, martyn said:

Boris presser tonight at 8 - National Lockdown.

How they've made the same mistakes dithering over and over again is just ridiculous.

Can't comprehend how ludicrous it is to have some schools back open for 1 day..

You can almost set your watch by it. 

SAGE: We need a firebreak

Government: (three weeks later) here is half a lockdown. 

SAGE: We need a full lockdown

Government: (three) He's sort of a lockdown, but we'll keep schools B&Q open

Starmer in shock, token statement about schools to get in early for the 'I told you so's' but mainly to curry some favour with the Unions. Exactly the leader labour needed; with his major flaw being lack of genuine left-wing, union-centric credentials. This is an absolute gift for him.

IMHO the schools would all be shut if Boris had ever been allowed to believe it was his idea. As soon as he was being lobbied/bullied/advised (whatever) by the Union leaders (lets remember this is a very majority Tory gov) then be doesn't want to appear to be cowed.

Party politics eh?

Boris now acting having seen Sturgeon do something and realised that soundbites and shrugging of shoulders is being shown up by blo ody Nicola Sturgeon! Imagine our surprise that he now takes some action; and is presumably doing to Sturgeon's speech exactly what we all did to each other essay's in my days in education - how similar can we get away with it?

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

Starmer in shock, token statement about schools to get in early for the 'I told you so's' but mainly to curry some favour with the Unions. Exactly the leader labour needed; with his major flaw being lack of genuine left-wing, union-centric credentials. This is an absolute gift for him.

IMHO the schools would all be shut if Boris had ever been allowed to believe it was his idea. As soon as he was being lobbied/bullied/advised (whatever) by the Union leaders (lets remember this is a very majority Tory gov) then be doesn't want to appear to be cowed.

Party politics eh?

Boris now acting having seen Sturgeon do something and realised that soundbites and shrugging of shoulders is being shown up by blo ody Nicola Sturgeon! Imagine our surprise that he now takes some action; and is presumably doing to Sturgeon's speech exactly what we all did to each other essay's in my days in education - how similar can we get away with it?

The man is elevated beyond his means. I think, from a bipartisan perspective, we can all agree he's ****ed up the premiership and deserves the sack. 

David Cameron would have handled this so much better. I'm no Tory, but at least Cameron was credible. This guy is a mess physically and professionally. 

• Like 1