Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

14 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Furlough scheme? Has it changed at all? I may be wrong but as far as I’m aware it’s no longer the 80% of wages paid by the government is it? 

My point being my company have already stated that they will not be topping up the wages during a furlough (they didn’t previously) so I am wondering if the fact they know as a full lockdown may be similar to before, which means a lot of people will be told to stay at home again, so furlough will be called upon once more. 

Perhaps they can’t afford to do it again? Or if they do a decide not to return to the previous 80% of wages paid by the government they know a lot of people will be out of work... which would be an absolute disaster. I’d be made redundant if we went into a full scale lock down again.  

Just thinking from another angle. 

I think the government still pay 80%.I don’t think they planned on having to reintroduce it to April levels again though.It would also be a clear admittance that Covid secure work places are anything but (We knew that anyway)They can use the new strain as an excuse I suppose.Regardless of furlough,it’s the last thing that businesses need right now.They still have to keep the lights on.I would think it’s a last resorter.

• Like 1

944,000 vaccinations up to 27th December.

20 days worth of vaccines (first was on 7th Dec IIRC).

47,200 vaccines per day. Bearing in mind Xmas Day and Boxing Day so if we discount those 2 days, it's actually 52,444 vaccines per day.

I'd really like to see that figure ramped up if at all possible this month. I know we hit the 1m number during the week just gone but if we want to get on top of this virus/new variant that vaccine total/day has to increase significantly.

This whole schools not going in is ridiculous. I understand them not going in during the first wave as the testing wasn’t there. But for headteachers to ignore government advice and decide not to go in is ridiculous. I’m sure there are a few of you on here that work in supermarkets and as delivery drivers and if collectively you decided that you didn’t feel it was safe to work, society would go to sh*t. Surely schools are equally as important as grocery shops. Teachers called themselves key workers in June time, so surely they’re still key workers now. You can’t pick and choose if your job is considered key or not when it best suits you. Get on with it like the rest of us. 

49 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

I think the government still pay 80%.I don’t think they planned on having to reintroduce it to April levels again though.It would also be a clear admittance that Covid secure work places are anything but (We knew that anyway)They can use the new strain as an excuse I suppose.Regardless of furlough,it’s the last thing that businesses need right now.They still have to keep the lights on.I would think it’s a last resorter.

What the government has done, be it through incompetence or villainy is make furlough in the hospitality sector cost them a lot less. First lockdown all full time hourly paid hospitality workers got 80% of their pay based on the 12 weeks preceeding the lockdown. So basically 80% of 40 hours a week. Since the tier system came in to play they've made it so you still get 80% of the last 12 weeks. Problem is the last 12 weeks have been so dead because of all the restrictions imposed people are now getting 80% of much fewer hours. Its a joke I'm so much worse off it's unbelievable and now my credit is running out I don't know what I'm going to do. It's barbaric. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

This whole schools not going in is ridiculous. I understand them not going in during the first wave as the testing wasn’t there. But for headteachers to ignore government advice and decide not to go in is ridiculous. I’m sure there are a few of you on here that work in supermarkets and as delivery drivers and if collectively you decided that you didn’t feel it was safe to work, society would go to sh*t. Surely schools are equally as important as grocery shops. Teachers called themselves key workers in June time, so surely they’re still key workers now. You can’t pick and choose if your job is considered key or not when it best suits you. Get on with it like the rest of us. 

The argument is that schools can provide their provision online effectively. 

And, in fairness, classrooms and schools just aren't safe for all involved. Not just the teachers. 

16 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

What the government has done, be it through incompetence or villainy is make furlough in the hospitality sector cost them a lot less. First lockdown all full time hourly paid hospitality workers got 80% of their pay based on the 12 weeks preceeding the lockdown. So basically 80% of 40 hours a week. Since the tier system came in to play they've made it so you still get 80% of the last 12 weeks. Problem is the last 12 weeks have been so dead because of all the restrictions imposed people are now getting 80% of much fewer hours. Its a joke I'm so much worse off it's unbelievable and now my credit is running out I don't know what I'm going to do. It's barbaric. 

Very sneaky of them to do that.Is there a minimum payment?

21 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Where are you located?

Last I knew supermarkets and Amazon were crying out for workers to cope with the extra demand. Look at delivery companies like DPD etc. as well. I think this will go on until at least April, so make sure you've got something else lined up.

11 hours ago, Corky said:

I see a serious teaching shortage in the next few years. I'd imagine the thought of seeing children do well is very appealing but is it worth all the shit they have to put up with?

Ah, but we only work from 9.00 to 3.00 and have all those long holidays, remember?! 

My Mrs spoke to her mate who is a nurse today.

General consensus where she works is that people are flouting the rules and doing nothing to stop this because there's no repercussions if you don't stick to the rules.

Too many people saying their human rights are being violated. 

Literally look at the idiots on Twitter spouting nonsense like that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

My Mrs spoke to her mate who is a nurse today.

General consensus where she works is that people are flouting the rules and doing nothing to stop this because there's no repercussions if you don't stick to the rules.

Too many people saying their human rights are being violated. 

Literally look at the idiots on Twitter spouting nonsense like that.

Imagine this is what stopped Europe taking a nz type approach in March, even though it would have been better for health and the economy. 

16 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Imagine this is what stopped Europe taking a nz type approach in March, even though it would have been better for health and the economy. 

Probably.

From the start, it was clear that any island nation should pretty much close it's borders.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Prime Minister with any leadership qualities. 

The woman in charge of New Zealand has bigger b0llocks than most blokes that are in charge of other nations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Furlough is propping a lot of people up, without that we would see wholesale redundancies, people’s houses getting repossessed etc. 

The furlough cash needs to be paid back somehow, the tax rises will see cuts in spending which is probably cause issues.

it’s bad.

Subjective, isn't it?

We've already seen quantitative easing and you'd expect to see more of that moving forwards. (The banks announced they were printing £150bn in Nov.)

It's in everyone's interest, particularly the banks of course, for the economy to keep moving. So they'll keep on making it easier for the government to borrow without increasing interest rates, I imagine.

The inevitable result is inflation in the long run. Savers will have to be punished so as to encourage spending, because credit isn't going to be as easy to come by. How are the hundreds of thousands of people that have lost their jobs or are already up to their limit in credit going to borrow off the back of this? Short answer is they won't be able to. It's a long road back for those people, which starts with life returning to normal.

But top level it feels fine, if you have assets. If you're on the ladder already. And if you've not already lost your job. And it's kids in school now that I worry about, too.

From a personal standpoint, I've always felt in life that I got by just in time, i.e. one of the last years before £9k uni fees, being just young enough to benefit from studying with the aid of the world wide web while also coming into my career and finding a niche just as it was growing etc. 

But now, even more so. If I was 18 today I'd feel utterly hopeless. If I was in school now I'd be stressing the fvck out about my exam situation let alone anything else. And if I was only a few years younger I'd be worried about the rates I'd have to pay for a first mortgage, if I could get one at all. I feel fortunate.

This is what I mean about subjectivity. The economy, for me, looks fine. It plays to my circumstances. I hate sanctimony and I'd hate for people to think I was guilty of it, so I'll try to keep this bit short, but I wish more people could see beyond their own circumstances. I've whined in this thread about lockdowns slowing down business for me, but ultimately I'm fine and I'll be fine. This whole thing will truly bugger so many people, which is devastating.

Ultimately the economy will survive, but a lot of people will suffer from this. The gap between the haves and have nots will widen further, but then middle England seems to like the idea of that to the point they vote for it. Go figure.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 2

Royal informary ITU was full at end of October, never mind what state it might be in now.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9109023/PM-decide-Monday-plunge-England-lockdown.html

Anabel, 49, and her family, all fell ill from Covid towards the end of last year.

Her 12-year-old son first Isaac contracted Covid following the return to school in September, according to the Mirror.

Anabel, her husband Bharat, 47, and her other sons Jacob, 22, and Noah, 10, later contracted the virus, the paper adds.

Her mother Maria was the last to test positive for Covid.

Bother Anabel and Maria taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary in mid-October and put onto oxygen beds away from each other.

But after Maria signed a Do Not Attempt Resuscitation (DNAR) order, Maria was wheeled in a bed next to Anabel.

Maria died on November 1 - 24 hours after the pair had taken a picture together showing her on a breathing machine and Anabel in an oxygen mask.

Anabel said she took off the oxygen mask in order to say goodbye to her mother.

In an emotional post on Facebook page 'Humans of Covid-19', Anabel said the ordeal had been the 'darkest period of my life'. 

She said: 'By the time my mum and I were rushed to A&E, we both needed ITU but they were full

'We only got our beds because four patients died that day, freeing up spaces.'

I got no words for my feelings on this, playing with people's lives to make a political point on keeping schools open, but at least we know why Leicester and the county was put in tier 3 back then, the hospitals have been under extreme load.

Edited by Chrysalis

6 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

It is quite simple really, sage is releasing more and more data showing schools are primary spread vector, hospitals are been overwhelmed, and here is the been blunt part, if kids are not in the classroom, it doesnt stop people been able to eat and drink, which has higher priority.

Schools are clearly not covid secure, they clearly not safe.  I get people need that childcare, but dont mask it up and pretend it to be something else.

What needs to happen is education gets modernised, we implement remote learning, and decentralise attended classes.  Only vulnerable children and key workers children (such as healthcare workers) should have guarantees. 

One idea proposed by teachers was to move the school holidays to winter, and do classes outside where it would be safer, rejected by government for ideological reasons.  Teachers did try to keep it going, and I praise them for the chaos they have been put through, you know the government is going too far when not only did they try to keep schools open whilst ITU's were full, but also even asking teachers to administer test's.

A friend of mine, her school ordered a colleague to go in after a positive test as they said the children's education was more important than his health, and had classes up to 60 in size due to 5 teachers been off, social distancing was non existent.  Those press pictures are not showing the reality.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yeah if the football stopped I think I'd lose it. I can't go to work 6 times a week then sit around watching shite in my spare time, much rather watch football, darts and cricket.

Yeah this is why I said back in summer, pro football was a priority for the government as its a means to keep the population passive whilst also been very low risk, a big reason also why the government pushed for all games to be televised and accessible at affordable cost.

2 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Yeah this is why I said back in summer, pro football was a priority for the government as its a means to keep the population passive whilst also been very low risk, a big reason also why the government pushed for all games to be televised and accessible at affordable cost.

a little over played regarding the highlighted phrase but they remain strongly supportive of keeping elite sports going 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

a little over played regarding the highlighted phrase but they remain strongly supportive of keeping elite sports going 

I support them maintaining elite sport, as long as they remain in a bubble unique to them. 

People found to be breaking the “bubbles” like Mendy, Walker, Grealish, Mings, Salah etc, should be hit with a 12 week ban. That would deter the idiots. 

People have gone a long way to ensure the safety of people participating, therefore is it too much to ask, that people participating take some responsibility to maintain a duty of car to themselves and colleagues. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Probably.

From the start, it was clear that any island nation should pretty much close it's borders.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Prime Minister with any leadership qualities. 

The woman in charge of New Zealand has bigger b0llocks than most blokes that are in charge of other nations.

New Zealand is the arse end of nowhere.

A lot easier to close borders. 
incomparable to the Uk  

7 minutes ago, Blackboots only said:

New Zealand is the arse end of nowhere.

A lot easier to close borders. 
incomparable to the Uk  

Yes and No.

New Zealand is a island 

the UK is an island

Yes New Zealand population is less and more spread out, but their inner city areas will be like any other city, densely populated and diverse. Whereas geographically it may be incomparable to the UK, in terms of decision making it need not be. They took early action and decisive action. They saw what was happening and decided to take action before the virus took hold of their population. 

Our PM on the other hand, was bragging about shaking patients hands and laughing it off as some kind of joke rather than taking action early, whilst the rest of Europe fell. 

The warning signs were there, but they did no pay any attention to them. That is the annoyance, regardless of New Zealand's geographical set up, their governments reaction was better than out governments reaction. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Yes and No.

New Zealand is a island 

the UK is an island

Yes New Zealand population is less and more spread out, but their inner city areas will be like any other city, densely populated and diverse. Whereas geographically it may be incomparable to the UK, in terms of decision making it need not be. They took early action and decisive action. They saw what was happening and decided to take action before the virus took hold of their population. 

Our PM on the other hand, was bragging about shaking patients hands and laughing it off as some kind of joke rather than taking action early, whilst the rest of Europe fell. 

The warning signs were there, but they did no pay any attention to them. That is the annoyance, regardless of New Zealand's geographical set up, their governments reaction was better than out governments reaction. 

How does New Zealand deal with the illegal immigrants arriving in small boats?  In the UK, there were 7,924 documented migrants crossing the channel in the first 9 months of 2020; who knows how many undocumented ones.  They must be a dangerous source of infection.  Do the similarities of the two islands perhaps break down there?

48 minutes ago, Sly said:

I support them maintaining elite sport, as long as they remain in a bubble unique to them. 

People found to be breaking the “bubbles” like Mendy, Walker, Grealish, Mings, Salah etc, should be hit with a 12 week ban. That would deter the idiots. 

People have gone a long way to ensure the safety of people participating, therefore is it too much to ask, that people participating take some responsibility to maintain a duty of car to themselves and colleagues. 

I dont think anyone here is condoning players breaking the rules, a club has even launched an internal investigation.  The players outside of their job have to follow the rules like the rest of us.

13 hours ago, StanSP said:

I think this is a stupid question lol...

If someone tests positive on day X and then tests positively again in the next few weeks after that, does that add as another positive case to the daily tallies we see or not?

Anyone know...?