Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

10 minutes ago, Corky said:

Deaths still at appalling levels (over 1k again) but 10k fewer positive tests today.

Deaths will continue to increase. We hit the peak in recent days (we hope) of cases so we'll see the deaths from these in the next two to three weeks. 

Let's hope the lower case number is the beginning of these dropping.

8 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Deaths will continue to increase. We hit the peak in recent days (we hope) of cases so we'll see the deaths from these in the next two to three weeks. 

Let's hope the lower case number is the beginning of these dropping.

I'm not certain we've hit the peak of cases yet. 

4 hours ago, bovril said:

Working from home and there's a steady stream of cars outside my window. During the first lockdown it was eerily quiet. 

I wonder if any of the teachers on here can confirm but it seemed to me, that were more than 3-4 times the numbers of kids at the ‘key’ workers club at school.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I won't be clapping tonight, I stopped after about 2 weeks of the first one when some dickhead was outside at about 7:55 shouting for people to come out and clap and then banging a dustbin lid with a wooden spoon. **** off.

Why can't we just be low-key  and respectful in this country? Why is there always so much one-upmanship? People always have to have a bigger and better poppy, or show the most grief on social media. A simple round of clapping was enough, but some twat always has to go over the top.

agree, probably creates more cases people cheering spreading all those particles in the air :ph34r: good idea

Hopefully it's a one off as it did get a bit flat near the end.  However, people receiving recognition for the work they do shouldn't be understated in any profession or circumstance and is something that is under used in normal life.  In my own professional experience, receiving recognition for good work is moral boosting as long as it's merited.  Having seen the most recent Fergus Walsh video form an ICU, it most definitely is merited.  Knowing a few NHS workers, they were grateful for the recognition during the previous clap and hopefully this is a one off to show people are grateful for what they're doing and that it isn't taken for granted.  It's why I feel that comments about it being meaningless and we just need to give them money are pretty daft.  I agree they should get a bonus, but as others have mentioned, I can't do anything about that.

I won't be doing it, as making a racket outside a 6-month old baby's room isn't a great idea, but I'm supportive of people doing so as long as they mean it and it isn't just for social media d**k swinging.

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

The clap was a nice gesture to begin with, but worn out very quickly. No need for it to return but the reaction to it has been pathetic. Forcing the person who's idea it was to distance themselves and release a  statement saying they don't work for the government because of abuse. Jesus Christ. If people want to clap let them.

Sums up the difference between lockdown 1 and lockdown 2

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I saw a report the other day that included an interview with a senior nurse dealing with Covid patients. She said there were a lot more this time in their "30s, 40s & 50s".

I assume that's partly because the elderly are taking more precautions in the knowledge that they're more at risk - and often find it easier to avoid risk (not having to work etc.).

I suppose there's also the maths of it: even if a similar, fairly low proportion of younger people with Covid end up in hospital, the nominal figure will be much higher than before as more people have been infected this time, due to new variant etc.

If you go to the uk dashboard, select health care and then select a region, there are per age breakdowns.  About 1/2 in hospital are under 65 which surprised me.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I won't be clapping tonight, I stopped after about 2 weeks of the first one when some dickhead was outside at about 7:55 shouting for people to come out and clap and then banging a dustbin lid with a wooden spoon. **** off.

Why can't we just be low-key  and respectful in this country? Why is there always so much one-upmanship? People always have to have a bigger and better poppy, or show the most grief on social media. A simple round of clapping was enough, but some twat always has to go over the top.

Yeah now that you've said that, I think this is one of the main reasons I get annoyed by it.

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Can't we do both?

This time it was meant to be appreciative of all key workers and heroes  rather than just the NHS but I guess it wasn’t really going to work this time given the time of year and most people probably feel they are helping the NHS etc by sticking to the guidelines.

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

I wonder if any of the teachers on here can confirm but it seemed to me, that were more than 3-4 times the numbers of kids at the ‘key’ workers club at school.

We have 3 times the number of keyworker/vulnerable children in this time, compared to the start of the first lockdown. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Roughly what does that equate too of the normal pupil count, percentage wise?

It's about 8% of our total number of pupils. (It's a primary school.) Many of our parents don't work and it's not in a typical 'keyworker' area, though. Some schools locally have up to 40% of their pupils in school which is a logistical nightmare for them while also trying to deliver remote learning. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Strokes said:

Yup. Nearly 50% of my class is in.

Edited by Charl91
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

What’s the point then?

It’s just a farce.

I agree.

It's also doubled my work-load.

Edit: Ok, I don't agree entirely. It is much easier to distance them with the reduced numbers. But while that might have been good enough previously, at the point we're at now, I don't think that's enough.

Edited by Charl91
  • Like 1

Just now, Charl91 said:

I agree.

It's also doubled my work-load.

I feel for you, my kids stayed at home yesterday but went in today. So they’ve seen it from both sides and even they think it’s a joke. 

I don’t know if it’s parents taking the piss or employers not wanting to shut again but surely the government needs to address this and realise it’s not working.

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

1.29 million vaccinated now, up from 963k the week before.

21k have already received their second dose.

I believe if I have read correctly that  those figures are to Sunday and so the week includes two bank holidays.  

if you look on the bbc there is a piece about a gp surgery that is doing about 1000 a week,  which is all the vaccine that they get.  If each of the 1000 or so centres can match that a weekly rate of 1M should quickly be doable and then build from there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stivo said:

I believe if I have read correctly that  those figures are to Sunday and so the week includes two bank holidays.  

if you look on the bbc there is a piece about a gp surgery that is doing about 1000 a week,  which is all the vaccine that they get.  If each of the 1000 or so centres can match that a weekly rate of 1M should quickly be doable and then build from there.

Vaccine figures should start to ramp up from Monday, I will be watching them closely.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

Link for those interested, forgot to add it in my original post.

• Like 1