Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Stepping away from the politics for a second one thing this virus has really shown is how dangerously over populated the planet is. We knew this already thanks to the growing concerns of global warming but the rate this thing has spread across the planet has been frightening. A more potent and deadly virus could be catastrophic and could result in massive loss of life..... perhaps this is the wake up call the human race needed, as awful as it is to say and I don’t mean to disrespect anyone who has lost a loved one in this period (I lost my grandma as a result of this too), but perhaps this will force the human race collectively to really start changing, if there’s another pandemic it could be a serious threat to the human race. 

Edited by Pliskin

11 hours ago, Strokes said:

What’s the point then?

It’s just a farce.

Because non essential business where you can’t work from home hasn’t been shut down so it’s not just keyworkers kids this time, people have been left with little to no option but do this.

Come on, it’s not rocket science.

Edited by Matt

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

Because non essential business where you can’t work from home hasn’t been shut down so it’s not just keyworkers kids this time, people have been left with little to no option but do this.

Come on, it’s not rocket science.

Non essential business wasn’t shut down last time. The message is the same message as the first lockdown.

Just now, Strokes said:

Non essential business wasn’t shut down last time. The message is the same message as the first lockdown.

Yeah this. I work in the construction industry and the only reason some builders shut was due to suppliers shutting. Legally they could have carried on which I hope is what will happen this time. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Strokes said:

A big majority were, very little non essential businesses were open, pretty much came to a standstill due to forced closure.

“Go to work where absolutely necessary” I think we’re the words used last time if I remember correctly.

Edited by Matt

19 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Yeah this. I work in the construction industry and the only reason some builders shut was due to suppliers shutting. Legally they could have carried on which I hope is what will happen this time. 

Same here. We shut because the metal suppliers shut. No sign of that a second time round though, fingers crossed. 

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

A big majority were, very little non essential businesses were open, pretty much came to a standstill due to forced closure.

I think you are right. My mate is a window cleaner and for about fortnight of the original lockdown he didn’t think he could work. There was some sort of announcement sometime after the lockdown started if I remember right about 14 days into it where they said something about who could work and all of a sudden loads of self employed workers like him started up again. 

4 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Stepping away from the politics for a second one thing this virus has really shown is how dangerously over populated the planet is. We knew this already thanks to the growing concerns of global warming but the rate this thing has spread across the planet has been frightening. A more potent and deadly virus could be catastrophic and could result in massive loss of life..... perhaps this is the wake up call the human race needed, as awful as it is to say and I don’t mean to disrespect anyone who has lost a loved one in this period (I lost my grandma as a result of this too), but perhaps this will force the human race collectively to really start changing, if there’s another pandemic it could be a serious threat to the human race. 

It does a bit but the real problem is due to, in 1987 there were 300,000 nhs beds and we had a population of 56 million, we now have 120,000 beds and a population of 66 million. All this protect the NHS that is being drummed into us is solely down to successive governments systematically destroying the NHS through greed, incompetence and a lack of foresight. The taxpayer pays for the NHS, we've increased the taxpayer population by 15% in 30 years yet reduced the cost of the NHS by 60% , where has that money gone that allows for the reduction in bed numbers, and seeing as how staff employed in the NHS are ultimately linked to bed numbers i.e. less beds=less nurses, doctors, ambulance drivers etc. required. All this government are doing is deflecting away from the real issue and that is the NHS is under so much pressure due to greed and lack of foresight that when something happens that actually requires a lot of  NHS beds, a healthier population, which is what we have become,  is not necessarily going to fix the problem. And when they come up with stuff like, we're going to employ 20,000 nurses, or 20,000 police officers, all they're really doing is replacing those that have retired or left those services.

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It does a bit but the real problem is due to, in 1987 there were 300,000 nhs beds and we had a population of 56 million, we now have 120,000 beds and a population of 66 million. All this protect the NHS that is being drummed into us is solely down to successive governments systematically destroying the NHS through greed, incompetence and a lack of foresight. The taxpayer pays for the NHS, we've increased the taxpayer population by 15% in 30 years yet reduced the cost of the NHS by 60% , where has that money gone that allows for the reduction in bed numbers, and seeing as how staff employed in the NHS are ultimately linked to bed numbers i.e. less beds=less nurses, doctors, ambulance drivers etc. required. All this government are doing is deflecting away from the real issue and that is the NHS is under so much pressure due to greed and lack of foresight that when something happens that actually requires a lot of  NHS beds, a healthier population, which is what we have become,  is not necessarily going to fix the problem. And when they come up with stuff like, we're going to employ 20,000 nurses, or 20,000 police officers, all they're really doing is replacing those that have retired or left those services.

Not doubting you mate but do have a source for this as I find this impossible to believe? Unless you're referencing bed numbers in the pandemic which have reduced because of social distancing requirements?

5 hours ago, Pliskin said:

This pandemic is a warning message from God that the human race needs to sort its shit out :thumbup:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Not doubting you mate but do have a source for this as I find this impossible to believe? Unless you're referencing bed numbers in the pandemic which have reduced because of social distancing requirements?

Sorry, 150,000. 50%. Makes it all the better doesn't it.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/nhs-in-a-nutshell/hospital-beds

Edited by yorkie1999

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

This pandemic is a warning message from God that the human race needs to sort its shit out :thumbup:

Isn't this why the term divine intervention was coined?

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Any danger of people on this island not doing something weird or embarrassing for just one day? What is wrong with them?

To maybe defend those people a bit, that's the vaccine that currently is being rationed out such that if you get the first does, you might not get the second until 3 months later, and at that point they might give you a different vaccine to the first one they gave. So waiting for the second one means you are more likely to get the same one twice. I could understand some doubt over taking it in that sense.

However, given that the Pfizer one has a much higher efficacy rate, and knowing the said areas in question, I can't say it's too likely that's the case.

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

To maybe defend those people a bit, that's the vaccine that currently is being rationed out such that if you get the first does, you might not get the second until 3 months later, and at that point they might give you a different vaccine to the first one they gave. So waiting for the second one means you are more likely to get the same one twice. I could understand some doubt over taking it in that sense.

However, given that the Pfizer one has a much higher efficacy rate, and knowing the said areas in question, I can't say it's too likely that's the case.

Don't forget though, Boris did say that by mid-february, 13.9 million jabs will be offered to the top 2 groups, he didn't actually say administered! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pliskin said:

The world population was 4 billion in 1974. It's currently estimated at 7.8 billion, just 47 years later.

Its a bit frightening but there is a lukewarm approach of preventing people being mindful if needing, say, 5+, etc.

Reason being that the bottom line is more people = more requirement for resources = more money being spent and bigger numbers, sales, etc, etc. In short, a reducing population doesnt look good on the balace books, which is a sad state of affairs.

25 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Probably why he's losing so many followers. Can't just send a simple message like "bit of a warning lad's, if you don't stop eating me pangolins, i'll give you no more VAR decisions" instead it has to be worldwide destruction.