Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

How have you come to that conclusion? Absolutely laughable. My post clearly pointed out how extended numbers of infections damage the most venerable for longer.

Popping you on ignore chief. 

"Desperate people will go out of their way to get infected to get some much needed cash"??, How you going to do that? Break into an icu ward and take a deep breath.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Christoph said:

Mrs doesn't want to have her vaccine because some of her work colleagues aren't having it as they're scared it will make them infertile (all late 20s early 30s women). :dunno:

Well being dead wouldn't do much for their fertility either would it.Or possibly suffering from the effects of long covid. Really is a civic responsibility for people to have this vaccine.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, reynard said:

Well being dead wouldn't do much for their fertility either would it.Or possibly suffering from the effects of long covid. Really is a civic responsibility for people to have this vaccine.

The U.K. population is seemingly much keener to get the vaccine than other countries

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-vaccine-willingness?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute&time=latest&region=World

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

That will be at some point in mid Feb (that the top 4 groups will have had their first jab), I can't see any easing then except maybe schools going back.

Got a horrible feeling we'll end up changing strategy and saying we need millions of people to have both doses before we can start easing restrictions or we can't lift them because of a mutant strain.

I'm aiming for May personally for hospitality, anything before that is a bonus. Anything after that and I don't know what will happen, it'll have been 14 months and I really won't see an end to it all. After May I think I'll just be done with it all, I can't personally have another year like 2020.

This is pretty much what i think too. There are already "leaks" or whatever you want to call them in the press re lockdown running into May or even later in the year.

I think a lot will depend on the next few weeks and the info coming out of the effeciveness or otherwise of a single dose in bringing down severe case levels. There is some early evidence out of Israel but a bit too ealry to be certain. If the one dose proves not to be effective then yes the restrictions will be in place for many more months yet. Quite possibly until all the over 50s etc have had their second dose.

19 hours ago, Dunge said:

It’s assumed to be around 0.5% overall, not 0.05%. In the UK many cases don’t get or haven’t been recorded, and the deaths are likely over-reported to a degree (but not a high one), but with our demographics (relative levels of age and vulnerability) the case fatality rate will likely still be a bit higher than 0.5%.

Just FYI, UK covid reported deaths (95k)  is currently 0.14% of Total population (67m) although this will obviously increase over time.

Personally, i cant see how Covid deaths would not be reported as such as the opposite appears to be the case (ie any death within 28 days of a positive test regardless of actual cause of death).

Covid Deaths as % of Reported infections is also likely to be over-reported as i suspect there will be people who have never been tested or felt ill but would have tested positive had they done so 

37 minutes ago, reynard said:

I think a lot will depend on the next few weeks and the info coming out of the effeciveness or otherwise of a single dose in bringing down severe case levels. There is some early evidence out of Israel but a bit too ealry to be certain

I think this is a good point.  Looking at the dashboard we have 1.3M people who received their first dose by 3rd Jan, so almost all of these are now more than 3 weeks since the first jab.  Hopefully we are starting to see a reduction in cases and hospitalisations in this cohort.

1 hour ago, DennisNedry said:

Wedding of 400 broken up in East London yesterday - ffs. How did they even manage to arrange it? 

I live about 20 minutes away from the area - Stamford Hill which is home to the largest Hasidic Jewish community in London, if not England. Sadly this community as well as several others have largely flouted all Coronavirus guidelines throughout the entire pandemic so this is no surprise at all. The reason why this is possible is because such communities are incredibly secular and closed off to those not part of it. They have schools, shops, amenities, specifically for their own community, marriages are all within the same group, etc. People in this community will only ever talk to and associate with each other, so no one really has an idea what they get up to, other than those in the community themselves. And being deeply religious people they are of the opinion that the pandemic is all part of God's plan so have done next to nothing to avoid it. They all still visit the Synagogue every week, etc. I see that the school are denying any knowledge about the event happening, but we all know that is a lie. So it will have been arranged by the local community and not communicated to anyone outside of it. And they probably would have gotten away with it if they hadn't been caught.

People in this community have been the target of racial abuse and assault several times in recent years in the area, which is very sad to hear. But then when stories like this come out, the secular behaviour of that community, well it doesn't really come as a surprise that things like that happen. 

I myself am of a very mixed heritage and one of the best things about London is that it's a melting pot for so many cultures. But several communities like this have been taking the complete mickey during the pandemic. In other areas of the capital that have a large concentration of a specific ethnic / religious group you see exactly the same thing. There's an area called Green Lanes which has a huge Turkish community that has shops fully open for business despite their being a lockdown, an Asian area called Neasden has the same problem, etc, etc. I imagine the reason why nothing is done is because the Police are very reluctant to start trouble which could quickly escalate into bad PR. It's a bit like how Police won't stop people without masks from entering stores, even though it's expected that you should. 

Sadly it's just more proof that human beings at their core are selfish. In this case it's even worse because a Rabbi would have been at that wedding and despite being in a position of authority to ensure the safety of thousands of people in the area, he has deemed a wedding to be more important that people's lives.

44 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I live about 20 minutes away from the area - Stamford Hill which is home to the largest Hasidic Jewish community in London, if not England. Sadly this community as well as several others have largely flouted all Coronavirus guidelines throughout the entire pandemic so this is no surprise at all. The reason why this is possible is because such communities are incredibly secular and closed off to those not part of it. They have schools, shops, amenities, specifically for their own community, marriages are all within the same group, etc. People in this community will only ever talk to and associate with each other, so no one really has an idea what they get up to, other than those in the community themselves. And being deeply religious people they are of the opinion that the pandemic is all part of God's plan so have done next to nothing to avoid it. They all still visit the Synagogue every week, etc. I see that the school are denying any knowledge about the event happening, but we all know that is a lie. So it will have been arranged by the local community and not communicated to anyone outside of it. And they probably would have gotten away with it if they hadn't been caught.

People in this community have been the target of racial abuse and assault several times in recent years in the area, which is very sad to hear. But then when stories like this come out, the secular behaviour of that community, well it doesn't really come as a surprise that things like that happen. 

I myself am of a very mixed heritage and one of the best things about London is that it's a melting pot for so many cultures. But several communities like this have been taking the complete mickey during the pandemic. In other areas of the capital that have a large concentration of a specific ethnic / religious group you see exactly the same thing. There's an area called Green Lanes which has a huge Turkish community that has shops fully open for business despite their being a lockdown, an Asian area called Neasden has the same problem, etc, etc. I imagine the reason why nothing is done is because the Police are very reluctant to start trouble which could quickly escalate into bad PR. It's a bit like how Police won't stop people without masks from entering stores, even though it's expected that you should. 

Sadly it's just more proof that human beings at their core are selfish. In this case it's even worse because a Rabbi would have been at that wedding and despite being in a position of authority to ensure the safety of thousands of people in the area, he has deemed a wedding to be more important that people's lives.

No shit, Sherlock. lol

The logic is strong in this one...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Christoph said:

She works for the council with families so has been offered the vaccine early. Was fine for having it but we are expecting to try for a baby in the next year so when all of her colleagues and friends started saying this now she is worried about taking the vaccine.

From my research this all started from some rumour about the phizer vaccine attacking a certain protein found in the placenta. This has been proven to be false however the doubt has now crept in. 

Played cbso 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stivo said:

The U.K. population is seemingly much keener to get the vaccine than other countries

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-vaccine-willingness?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute&time=latest&region=World

I like our willingness but 70% is just ok when you think about it. The other nation figures are absolutely shocking though, sad state of humanity that.

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

There's an area called Green Lanes which has a huge Turkish community that has shops fully open for business despite their being a lockdown

This must then mean that 'Kofali Hot Nuts'...my once regular stop off for a slab of Helva and a dollop of lokma is still opening for such essential purchases. :D