Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

32 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Includes me! 

Got a text from the GP on Wednesday, asking me to ring to book an appointment. Called up, told them I’m 24, healthy with no underlying medical conditions I know of, they reckon I have a muscle wasting disease on my record, had to call me dad about that one lol 

Was booked on today regardless, had my vaccine at 3:15. Got a bit woozy (have a crippling fear of needles) but otherwise no worse, had the Pfizer so presumably 90% protection in three weeks. Staff at the GP were all excellent and powered full a full room within 20 minutes, including the 15 min waiting time after. 

Ha me too, although I didn’t ask why at 43 I was on the list.  My wife too.  Pfizer, in a sports hall.  Very efficient they’ve done over a thousand a day all week.

I think honestly if you ask why you just hold things up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Ha me too, although I didn’t ask why at 43 I was on the list.  My wife too.  Pfizer, in a sports hall.  Very efficient they’ve done over a thousand a day all week.

I think honestly if you ask why you just hold things up.

You’re not wrong, once they explained it on the phone I just accepted it and went, way I see it if you’re on the list you’re on the list, they have some left over at the end of the day anyway so you might as well get it if offered. 

The GP’s normal reception was moved to an outbuilding, and because it was empty I did go in after my jab just to ensure there wasn’t actually muscle atrophy on my record lol 

• Haha 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/infection-rate-over-60s-leicester-5050254

Infection rate in over 60s in Leicester more than double national average
Older people who have not yet been vaccinated are being urged to

ByDan MartinPolitics Reporter
18:24, 26 FEB 2021

Coronavirus levels among people aged over 60 are ‘worryingly high’, it has been warned.

Public health officials today said they are becoming increasing worried about the number of cases among older residents with a seven-day incidence which is currently more than double the national average.

Nationally the Covid-19 rate in over 60s is 83.8 cases per 100,000 people but here it is 225.4 cases per 100,000.

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said: “There is no easy explanation for it but it is clear that despite the vaccination programme there is still a big problem with infections among over 60s who are the most vulnerable age group.

“The advice is that they should be very careful about having contact with others and if they have not yet had the vaccine they should get one booked as soon as possible and badger if necessary.

“This is the best way for older people to protect themselves.”

Sir Peter added: “Right now, the numbers in Leicester are amongst the highest in the country.

“They have stopped falling, even though we are still in lockdown.

“Our infection rate is over twice the national average and our over 60s rate is very worrying indeed.

“We need to make sure that we are not singled out again for restrictions if our numbers do not come down.

“Leicester is a city of densely packed housing as well as economic deprivation which means people feel they cannot afford to self-isolate if they become infected.

“Given the history of the pandemic in Leicester, and our stubbornly high rate of infection, I am writing to health secretary Matt Hancock to ask him to speed up the vaccination programme locally and ensure that all of our vaccination centres operate at full capacity. Please take the vaccine as soon as you are eligible.

1 hour ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I like JVT, but christ his football metaphors are shocking.

Anyone notice his little joke at the end, about us being in a race and that we mustn't fall at the last furlough? And earlier this week, the PM told the Commons that he (Starmer) vacillates whilst we vaccinate.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/infection-rate-over-60s-leicester-5050254

Infection rate in over 60s in Leicester more than double national average
Older people who have not yet been vaccinated are being urged to

ByDan MartinPolitics Reporter
18:24, 26 FEB 2021

Coronavirus levels among people aged over 60 are ‘worryingly high’, it has been warned.

Public health officials today said they are becoming increasing worried about the number of cases among older residents with a seven-day incidence which is currently more than double the national average.

Nationally the Covid-19 rate in over 60s is 83.8 cases per 100,000 people but here it is 225.4 cases per 100,000.

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said: “There is no easy explanation for it but it is clear that despite the vaccination programme there is still a big problem with infections among over 60s who are the most vulnerable age group.

“The advice is that they should be very careful about having contact with others and if they have not yet had the vaccine they should get one booked as soon as possible and badger if necessary.

“This is the best way for older people to protect themselves.”

Sir Peter added: “Right now, the numbers in Leicester are amongst the highest in the country.

“They have stopped falling, even though we are still in lockdown.

“Our infection rate is over twice the national average and our over 60s rate is very worrying indeed.

“We need to make sure that we are not singled out again for restrictions if our numbers do not come down.

“Leicester is a city of densely packed housing as well as economic deprivation which means people feel they cannot afford to self-isolate if they become infected.

“Given the history of the pandemic in Leicester, and our stubbornly high rate of infection, I am writing to health secretary Matt Hancock to ask him to speed up the vaccination programme locally and ensure that all of our vaccination centres operate at full capacity. Please take the vaccine as soon as you are eligible.

The only way to avoid been singled out is to get the numbers down, I think the problem with Leicester is related to the poverty levels.  See this article here.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/feb/17/why-leicester-blackburn-and-bradford-have-been-hit-hard-by-covid

We cannot fix the poverty issues overnight, but the short term policy should be to have people been told isolate to stay at home even if it means paying them to do so, the Vaccination centre situation also needs sorting out, use GP surgeries instead.  Our vaccination takeup is low, which needs community leaders getting on top of it, and council getting involved.

I actually think the Mayor needs to lobby the government for permission to close all business that are not directly related to food distribution "close takeaways especially".  But as usual he only seems concerned about if we going to get another local lockdown or not.

3 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

You’re not wrong, once they explained it on the phone I just accepted it and went, way I see it if you’re on the list you’re on the list, they have some left over at the end of the day anyway so you might as well get it if offered. 

The GP’s normal reception was moved to an outbuilding, and because it was empty I did go in after my jab just to ensure there wasn’t actually muscle atrophy on my record lol 

I’ve got a bloody sore arm now!!

Is it over simplistic to say that race/culture must be driving these smouldering case numbers in inner cities? What do Leicester, Blackburn & Bradford have in common? Is it just inner generational households, packed housing, factory working, or are certain communities causing their own downfall by ignoring restrictions and turning down vaccinations?

28 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Is it over simplistic to say that race/culture must be driving these smouldering case numbers in inner cities? What do Leicester, Blackburn & Bradford have in common? Is it just inner generational households, packed housing, factory working, or are certain communities causing their own downfall by ignoring restrictions and turning down vaccinations?

Not sure about ignoring restrictions but lack of vaccine take up amongst BAME people is certainly a big cause and will only get worst as we go down the age groups. It’s a bit of a taboo topic of discussion but it’s seriously likely to delay the easing of restrictions, and could mean bad news for new strains according to what the scientists are saying.

41 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Most of the above I think.

7 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Not sure about ignoring restrictions but lack of vaccine take up amongst BAME people is certainly a big cause and will only get worst as we go down the age groups. It’s a bit of a taboo topic of discussion but it’s seriously likely to delay the easing of restrictions, and could mean bad news for new strains according to what the scientists are saying.

I don’t think it’s a taboo topic. Most BAME celebrities and “community leaders” have been running campaigns since the potential problem was spotted very early on in the vaccine roll out. Like anything, you get those stubborn in society who will just believe the conspiracies. I think there was someone on here who admitted their reluctance to take the vaccine because of a WhatsApp rumour - even though medical opinion squashed their concern on a simple search.  The vaccine is a must and conspiracy theorists need to either bring their evidence or “shut the **** up”. It cannot be a taboo topic and I don’t think those within BAME communities are treating it as one. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Perhaps but applying those issues to the latest surge in NW Leicestershire doesn’t really tick those boxes - that’s the concern. 

3 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don’t think it’s a taboo topic. Most BAME celebrities and “community leaders” have been running campaigns since the potential problem was spotted very early on in the vaccine roll out. Like anything, you get those stubborn in society who will just believe the conspiracies. I think there was someone on here who admitted their reluctance to take the vaccine because of a WhatsApp rumour - even though medical opinion squashed their concern on a simple search.  The vaccine is a must and conspiracy theorists need to either bring their evidence or “shut the **** up”. It cannot be a taboo topic and I don’t think those within BAME communities are treating it as one. 

Yes I’ve seen some of plea videos and although they were very good, according to the numbers, the earliest ones haven’t made any real difference even amongst the most vulnerable of already vulnerable ethnic groups(!) I also worry that such campaigns won’t even reach the most determined to refuse the vaccine.

Outside of those communities in the majority demographic, people will be more reluctant to inflict societal pressure on BAME communities for fear of minimising their concerns and eventually being labelled racist. In America there’s already pre-emptive articles absolving responsibility and (rightly or wrongly) defensively shifting blame to the system.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/columns/dahleen-glanton/ct-african-americans-covid-vaccine-fear-20201214-ievt67q73vhrrbge4vazbzhh34-story.html%3foutputType=amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.seattletimes.com/opinion/blame-america-not-black-americans-for-fear-of-covid-19-vaccine/%3famp=1

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6622889002

Considering we were told during the BLM protests that institutional racism is not confined to the states, it’s not really a stretch to assume that we won’t face the same issues in the UK. IMO it’s one hell of an uphill battle we have coming.

1 hour ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Yes I’ve seen some of plea videos and although they were very good, according to the numbers, the earliest ones haven’t made any real difference even amongst the most vulnerable of already vulnerable ethnic groups(!) I also worry that such campaigns won’t even reach the most determined to refuse the vaccine.

Outside of those communities in the majority demographic, people will be more reluctant to inflict societal pressure on BAME communities for fear of minimising their concerns and eventually being labelled racist. In America there’s already pre-emptive articles absolving responsibility and (rightly or wrongly) defensively shifting blame to the system.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/columns/dahleen-glanton/ct-african-americans-covid-vaccine-fear-20201214-ievt67q73vhrrbge4vazbzhh34-story.html%3foutputType=amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.seattletimes.com/opinion/blame-america-not-black-americans-for-fear-of-covid-19-vaccine/%3famp=1

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6622889002

Considering we were told during the BLM protests that institutional racism is not confined to the states, it’s not really a stretch to assume that we won’t face the same issues in the UK. IMO it’s one hell of an uphill battle we have coming.

Yes but what I’m saying is, it’s not racism. There’s a problem, which with each individual community within the BAME umbrella (which is a lot) positive steps are being taken to eradicate this problem. A very different approach to that which (based on the articles posted) is different to the approach taken elsewhere. For example, you’ve got community and religious leaders being videoed taking the the vaccine. Religious institutions being used as vaccine centres. Dr’s from these communities highlighting how safe the vaccines are. If the facts suggest that there is a lower percentage of people taking up the vaccine, it’s fact, it’s evidence. It would be helpful if those figures were split between each group within the BAME community to get an even better understanding but I don’t think it’s a taboo subject given it’s being confronted in such a public manner as it is. That’s my point. Nothing wrong in highlighting a problem. 

It’s different when a rise in certain groups is specifically related to a culture because it’s easy - which some (I’d say lazy and ignorant) people do. But then, when there is a rise in another group the cultural and/or religious background is not highlighted. However, that’s a separate thing. 

The point I was making in my initial response to your point is that you’re not wrong to highlight the problem because it’s one which has already been highlighted and is being addressed vigorously. Basically, I was agreeing with you but highlighting the good and positive steps being taken (and continue to be taken) in an effort to sort it. Though, it will be a slow battle.