Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

My 31 year-old brother has been volunteering at a vaccination centre. At the end of today they had one left and they asked him if he wanted it otherwise it would go in the bin. Needless to say he took them up on it and he's now had his first dose. It did make me wonder how many doses are going to waste across the country though. 

Not alot, this is common, the left.overs are being used, and In some places there is a list for leftovers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

As I understand it the pharmaceutical companies deliberately manufacture the doses with a margin of error that causes them to always be slightly overfilled because that's obviously better than having them slightly underfilled.  This makes it possible for careful administering of doses to leave 'extra' doses at the end of the day, which have been routinely offered to staff, local essential workers and the like.  Not something to be too concerned about at the end of the day, I don't think there's an issue with intended doses going to waste.

Absolutely right :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Report on the BBC dinner time news that take up of the vaccine in some EU states is very poor. They highlighted vast empty vaccination centres where only a handful of people have turned up for appointments. 

Some suggestions they are avoiding the Oxford-AZ jab to wait for a 'better' one. Seems that governments that have advised against the vaccine for the over 65's has brainwashed the public of all ages into not having it fearing it as somehow inferior despite the scientific evidence. 

Suspect vaccine nationalism is at the root of this and might cause even more issues for Brits wanting to holiday on the continent. 

So their attitude can be summarised as “ your vaccine sucks balls and how dare you not send us more of it “

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Fat blobs

Surely there is no longer any fat blobs. We were told very early on that excess weight is big problem if you want to survive COVID.  They’ve had a year virtually now to lose that pudding so I’m assuming the Country no longer has fat blobs to worry about. 

Edited by OrielCaziado

1 minute ago, OrielCaziado said:

Surely there is no longer any fat blobs. We were told very early on that excess weight is big problem if you want survive COVID.  They’ve had a year virtually now to lose that pudding so I’m assuming the Country no longer has fat boobs to worry about. 

Fat boobs are always a potential cause for concern 😆

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Macron strikes me as someone with an inferiority complex.

I think people forget that Macron is something of a populist himself. Sure he’s not your firebrand left-right populist like Trump, Boris, Corbyn or Sturgeon, but the bloke started his own politician party to launch his own Presidential ambitions on the basis that the establishment left and right aren’t focussed enough on the real issues, it was a Centrist version of Trump’s ‘Drain the Swamp’ message.

Part of that populism is fervent Europeanism and that’s why he’s so reactionary on any U.K.-EU matter, like the border closures over the Kent variant. For the most part I don’t think the EU is that ‘anti-British’ (even if they have taken liberties on occasion) but Macron is very clearly set on spite as it strengthens his Globalist (and by extension anti-Le Pen) position.

This AstraZeneca incident is just the latest, there was the fishing grounds (which we had our faults in but which Macron seemed keen to exacerbate) and I’m sure they’ll be more as their Presidential elections heat up. It’ll probably be leaned on even more to an extent as I imagine their absolute dumpster fire of a vaccination rollout may get him the Trump treatment to some extent. 

• Like 2

On 21/02/2021 at 11:07, davieG said:

Well he's up now but still feeling very weak. His symptoms are sore throat and chest, cough, loss of appetite and memory: apparently couldn't remember Brendan Rodgers name. We told him to get in his garden and get some fresh air/oxygen. He said funnily enough the best he's felt was when he put the bins out lol

Improving all the time although last night's football didn't help. 

Unfortunately and inevitably his Mrs has now tested positive.

• Like 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-vonderleyen/eu-says-uk-u-s-have-vaccine-export-bans-eu-allows-exports-of-pfizer-moderna-shots-idUSKBN2AP2RS?il=0&utm_source=reddit.com

EU says UK, U.S. have vaccine export bans, EU allows exports of Pfizer, Moderna shots

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said on Thursday that the EU was allowing exports of COVID-19 vaccines, mostly from BionTech/Pfizer and Moderna, while the United States and Britain had mechanism to block them.

Von der Leyen told a news conference that approximately 95% of EU-made vaccines that had been exported since Jan. 30 were manufactured by Pfizer and BioNTech, and the remainder by Moderna.

She said that both were honouring their supply contracts with the EU and therefore there was no limitation on their export, while on AstraZeneca’s exports the EU was keeping “a very close eye” because of the company’s shortfalls in deliveries to the 27-nation bloc.

Von der Leyen added that the United States and Britain had systems in place that effectively blocked the export of COVID-19 vaccines.

Edited by egg_fried_rice

9 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-vonderleyen/eu-says-uk-u-s-have-vaccine-export-bans-eu-allows-exports-of-pfizer-moderna-shots-idUSKBN2AP2RS?il=0&utm_source=reddit.com

EU says UK, U.S. have vaccine export bans, EU allows exports of Pfizer, Moderna shots

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said on Thursday that the EU was allowing exports of COVID-19 vaccines, mostly from BionTech/Pfizer and Moderna, while the United States and Britain had mechanism to block them.

Von der Leyen told a news conference that approximately 95% of EU-made vaccines that had been exported since Jan. 30 were manufactured by Pfizer and BioNTech, and the remainder by Moderna.

She said that both were honouring their supply contracts with the EU and therefore there was no limitation on their export, while on AstraZeneca’s exports the EU was keeping “a very close eye” because of the company’s shortfalls in deliveries to the 27-nation bloc.

Von der Leyen added that the United States and Britain had systems in place that effectively blocked the export of COVID-19 vaccines.

Keeping 'a very close eye'? That's changed a bit from demanding the UK supply. 

Been a much slower week in terms of vaccinations, but we're told that it's gonna ramp up starting again from Monday, various reasons from short supply of the vaccine (deliberately being held back I believe) and also some of the vaccination centres being changed around slightly in order to make them more efficient.

521, 039 vaccinations announced today.

485,720 first doses.

35,319 second doses.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

As of 24th Feb 2021 there were 15,485 patients in hospital with Coronavirus, down from a peak of 39,248 on 18th Jan 2021.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

As of 25th Feb 2021, there were 2047 patients on ventilators, down from a peak of 4077 on 24th January 2021.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Been a much slower week in terms of vaccinations, but we're told that it's gonna ramp up starting again from Monday, various reasons from short supply of the vaccine (deliberately being held back I believe) and also some of the vaccination centres being changed around slightly in order to make them more efficient.

521, 039 vaccinations announced today.

485,720 first doses.

35,319 second doses.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

As of 24th Feb 2021 there were 15,485 patients in hospital with Coronavirus, down from a peak of 39,248 on 18th Jan 2021.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

As of 25th Feb 2021, there were 2047 patients on ventilators, down from a peak of 4077 on 24th January 2021.

Includes me! 

Got a text from the GP on Wednesday, asking me to ring to book an appointment. Called up, told them I’m 24, healthy with no underlying medical conditions I know of, they reckon I have a muscle wasting disease on my record, had to call me dad about that one lol 

Was booked on today regardless, had my vaccine at 3:15. Got a bit woozy (have a crippling fear of needles) but otherwise no worse, had the Pfizer so presumably 90% protection in three weeks. Staff at the GP were all excellent and powered full a full room within 20 minutes, including the 15 min waiting time after.