Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

20 hours ago, Super_horns said:

The summer music festivals seem confident all will be well as they have announced they are going ahead.

Outdoor transmission is basically non existent.

You could put a day festival on tomorrow and the impact providing everyone was sensible on transport etc would be minimal to non at all 

1 hour ago, MattFox said:

You could put a day festival on tomorrow and the impact providing everyone was sensible on transport etc would be minimal to non at all 

to be fair Covid is the least of your worries in what you can catch at a festival. 

• Haha 1

Report on the BBC dinner time news that take up of the vaccine in some EU states is very poor. They highlighted vast empty vaccination centres where only a handful of people have turned up for appointments. 

Some suggestions they are avoiding the Oxford-AZ jab to wait for a 'better' one. Seems that governments that have advised against the vaccine for the over 65's has brainwashed the public of all ages into not having it fearing it as somehow inferior despite the scientific evidence. 

Suspect vaccine nationalism is at the root of this and might cause even more issues for Brits wanting to holiday on the continent. 

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Another way of looking at it is that for every variant, the scientists learn more about the virus and therefore over time they will be able to create a vaccine which is fully protective. 

Equally there’s a chance that it goes variant/change too many and becomes a weaker threat. 

Doesn't each strain have a similar make-up?

Hopefully a few tweaks of the vaccine will be able to suppress it in one.

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

Doesn't each strain have a similar make-up?

Hopefully a few tweaks of the vaccine will be able to suppress it in one.

Yeah it’s a slight edit each time hence the existing vaccines work or certainly partly work. 

As it changes each time, the scientists are able to observe how it changes and why it does hence eventually we will have a vaccine which anticipates how/when it alters. 

Time always has us learning on this one and once we have enough info, it will be beaten

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yeah it’s a slight edit each time hence the existing vaccines work or certainly partly work. 

As it changes each time, the scientists are able to observe how it changes and why it does hence eventually we will have a vaccine which anticipates how/when it alters. 

Time always has us learning on this one and once we have enough info, it will be beaten

Thanks. I think they said it was easier to tweak than flu vaccines too.

4 hours ago, MattFox said:

I wouldn't be comfortable staying next to someone jumping about for an hour, currently. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Report on the BBC dinner time news that take up of the vaccine in some EU states is very poor. They highlighted vast empty vaccination centres where only a handful of people have turned up for appointments. 

Some suggestions they are avoiding the Oxford-AZ jab to wait for a 'better' one. Seems that governments that have advised against the vaccine for the over 65's has brainwashed the public of all ages into not having it fearing it as somehow inferior despite the scientific evidence. 

Suspect vaccine nationalism is at the root of this and might cause even more issues for Brits wanting to holiday on the continent. 

We will almost certainly be closing borders to incoming Europeans at some point I feel when we're all but full vaccinated. 

My 31 year-old brother has been volunteering at a vaccination centre. At the end of today they had one left and they asked him if he wanted it otherwise it would go in the bin. Needless to say he took them up on it and he's now had his first dose. It did make me wonder how many doses are going to waste across the country though. 

7 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

My 31 year-old brother has been volunteering at a vaccination centre. At the end of today they had one left and they asked him if he wanted it otherwise it would go in the bin. Needless to say he took them up on it and he's now had his first dose. It did make me wonder how many doses are going to waste across the country though. 

As I understand it the pharmaceutical companies deliberately manufacture the doses with a margin of error that causes them to always be slightly overfilled because that's obviously better than having them slightly underfilled.  This makes it possible for careful administering of doses to leave 'extra' doses at the end of the day, which have been routinely offered to staff, local essential workers and the like.  Not something to be too concerned about at the end of the day, I don't think there's an issue with intended doses going to waste.

Edited by Carl the Llama