Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They have linked it back to a plane which flew into Heathrow five days before the change in the quarantine rules :rolleyes:

And the person didn’t leave their full detail as on the contact card ??

im struggling here ..... you ask people to take a test, fill out a card and then you don’t check the card against their passport ?? 

who is responsible for this sh1tshow ????

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

im struggling here ..... you ask people to take a test, fill out a card and then you don’t check the card against their passport ?? 

Yep, was concerned all along that if the govt don’t tighten up the trace and trace systems then the vaccination effort could be let down badly 

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Apparently one of these 6 people filled it out wrong. Who knows what goes on at our airports! 

13 hours ago, Corky said:

Just do surge testing in those areas. We haven't heard much about the South African variant recently.

There's still a hell of a lot of observation and monitoring work going on behind the scenes involving all these variants. But it not reaching the news as much is positive.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I do hope the public don’t go and fook this up again. Loads of big groups etc and the government may be forced to change their minds

Some people in this country are plain fookin stupid 

I'm really hoping that once we're given that bit of freedom and ability to move around people don't take the complete piss.

I'm not hopeful though. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

who is responsible for this [deleted] ????

In the case of a postal test, there is no-one there to check the paperwork is correct.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

These people came from brazil?

I thought the test had to be done at the airport on arrival ??

The Daily Telegraph suggested this morning that it was probably a postal test.  These people apparently arrived via Switzerland 5 days before the new rules came in; I don't know what the rules were then.

15 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

The Daily Telegraph suggested this morning that it was probably a postal test.  These people apparently arrived via Switzerland 5 days before the new rules came in; I don't know what the rules were then.

I'd have thought the minimum rule would have been to write your name and address down.

11 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Lockdowns suck, but they clearly work when it comes to reducing the transmission of the virus. I just sincerely hope we don't have to go through another one. 

Me neither. Without trying to sound selfish I don't think my mental health could take another one

19 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Lockdowns suck, but they clearly work when it comes to reducing the transmission of the virus. I just sincerely hope we don't have to go through another one. 

I don't think it's as clear as all that.  Places like Brazil (run by a fruitcake who doesn't believe in coronavirus) and Sweden (much more light touch) don't seem to have fared any worse than us.  I think where lockdown really works is when you enforce it when the number of cases is trivial, ie. Australia/New Zealand.  But whether that would work for an international trade hub, I don't know.

7 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I don't think it's as clear as all that.  Places like Brazil (run by a fruitcake who doesn't believe in coronavirus) and Sweden (much more light touch) don't seem to have fared any worse than us.  I think where lockdown really works is when you enforce it when the number of cases is trivial, ie. Australia/New Zealand.  But whether that would work for an international trade hub, I don't know.

That's how it played out over here too. If you can keep the numbers down at the start then targetted lockdowns do work. Too much going on, and enforcing it becomes impractical, like in the UK.

And speaking of trade, given that Korea is for trade purposes an island nation of 52 million people they've not done badly at keeping import and export commerce running while this has been going on.

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

There are quite a few states in the US that would disagree with this.  According to the data.  

As above, lockdowns when the horse is already bolted don't tend to be all that effective if the resources to adequately enforce them aren't there.

That being said, when it comes to the US there are numerous cultural factors in play too.

What's New Zealand's long term plan at the moment? The moment they get a case they're into a 3 week stay at home lockdown. I guess it would be incredibly easy for them to just vaccinate the populations of their 3/4 cities and that would all but end it given the population distribution outside of those areas. 

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

It needs commitment and common sense
The govt can’t be blamed much more at the moment

If our path out of the pandemic isn’t followed it’ll be down to people, no doubt about it

None

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Me neither. Without trying to sound selfish I don't think my mental health could take another one

not selfish at all. sure there's many in the same boat. I know I was during the second one.

weather getting better, clear roadmap of how we get out of it, a lot more to be positive about this time round. just don't watch the footy :) 

10 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

What's New Zealand's long term plan at the moment? The moment they get a case they're into a 3 week stay at home lockdown. I guess it would be incredibly easy for them to just vaccinate the populations of their 3/4 cities and that would all but end it given the population distribution outside of those areas. 

On 28/02/2021 at 00:20, leicsmac said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-newzealand-idUSKBN2AB2KM

Started on Feb 20 with enough doses ordered to cover everyone three times, apparently. It would be a bit odd if, as you say, they hadn't taken steps to get that sorted because they'd just be going round and round.

This was chatted about the other day. Keep the lid on it and then get vaccinations going. That should be the end of the problem, as I'm assuming that they have the logistics to reach everyone, as you say.