Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

All time Favourite Midfielder

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Brian Laudrup? Not even the best midfielder in his family 😂.

Michael now we’re talking a player and I think I posted his name in another thread recently and one of the best player I’ve ever seen, had everything and was a real joy to watch.

Embarrassingly, I actually meant Michael Laudrup :whistle:. Brian did not play for Barcelona or Real Madrid. So well done on pointing that out!!

So let's give Michael the praise he deserves, because you are right, he could easily be one of the best ever players to play the game:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, swanlee said:

I think all the UEFA shenanigans have tarnished his footballing reputation somewhat, but its oft forgotten that Platini was pure class.

My first World Cup was Espana 82. That french team was special. 

For our own, I'd say Gary Mac. I was only young, but I feel he was a little underrated when he was with us. Showed his class after he left LCFC and seemed to just get better and better. In his mid thirties he simply was stellar with Liverpool.

Platini was genius, but tarnished now? Still, as a player, gets my vote as best midfielder in my lifetime.

Pull down his statues? :dunno:

For us Garry Parker was immense - just beats of Muzzy, Neil Lennon, Garry Mac and Mark Draper - many others could be on that list but for me Parker was immense his vision was unbelievable.

Michael Laudrup as mentioned before is my favourite player and for me, should be in the conversation of top 10 footballers in the history of the game.

Other honourable mentions: Gerrard, Alonso, Ginola on form was a joy to watch, 

Paul Scholes seems to have become massively overrated since he retired. Although undoubtedly a good footballer, I don’t think I ever saw him take a game by the scruff of the neck and win it by himself the way others have.

21 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

For us Garry Parker was immense - just beats of Muzzy, Neil Lennon, Garry Mac and Mark Draper - many others could be on that list but for me Parker was immense his vision was unbelievable.

Michael Laudrup as mentioned before is my favourite player and for me, should be in the conversation of top 10 footballers in the history of the game.

Other honourable mentions: Gerrard, Alonso, Ginola on form was a joy to watch, 

Paul Scholes seems to have become massively overrated since he retired. Although undoubtedly a good footballer, I don’t think I ever saw him take a game by the scruff of the neck and win it by himself the way others have.

😂

I loved the story Muzzy told in his book after scoring the winner at Watford, to get us in the play offs, he was allowed to go out with his mates and he was that unknown he was walking past Watford fans in the town who were oblivious that he was the man who’d just sent them down that afternoon. 

• Like 1

Very difficult to choose as there's been many that would at one point or another have been chosen by me.

LCFC it still has to be Izzet I think, but notable admiration for Cambiasso's swansong and the 2015/16 N'Golo Kante. Then there's a real possibility that Ndidi is going to be right up there too given what he has done for us this season.

Non LCFC is Paul Gascoigne, Italia 90 and then the 1990/91 domestic season with Spurs he was absolutely frightening. The most complete midfielder of an entire generation.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Not sure why the laughs, can’t see anything funny in my post? Happy to debate any of the points I made if you disagree.

Wading in here... Scholes was undoubtedly a fantastic footballer. His stock/reputation has grown massively since he retired. Most people I see who put his name forward as the best English midfielder of that generation seem to be using it to make them look more knowledgeable about football than they are. Using an outside chance to show they know more about the game than they actually do. That’s my opinion anyway. I’m not saying everyone who plumps for Scholes does it for that reason but plenty I’ve come across do. 

I was in my teens when Scholes was at his peak and a bit older for Gerrard and Lampard’s. So I can remember much more about those two than Scholes. Maybe because they grabbed the headlines more, or maybe because they were genuinely better... I don’t know.

As I remember, Scholes could dictate the game, where Lampard and Gerrard could also win you a game with a flash of brilliance. The main thing on the matter is that it’s a crying shame that the national team didn’t win anything with that talent in Midfield. 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Not sure why the laughs, can’t see anything funny in my post? Happy to debate any of the points I made if you disagree.

Well to start with to start with parker, to say parker was, better then the likes of izzet lennon, kante, in my opinion he was solid, but not on there level,

i would struggle to have laudrup in the top 25 footballs of all time let alone 1st

gerrard alsonso ginola, great to watch a good point made! 

scholes overrated😂 come on mate quite easily one of the best midfielders the country has seen, you admired parkers vision, but  scholes Is overrated, he wasn’t in one of the best teams the country has ever produce for so long, for being overrated, Ferguson was not a fool

• Like 1

Just now, lestajigs said:

Well to start with to start with parker, to say parker was, better then the likes of izzet lennon, kante, in my opinion he was solid, but not on there level,

i would struggle to have laudrup in the top 25 footballs of all time let alone 1st

gerrard alsonso ginola, great to watch a good point made! 

scholes overrated😂 come on mate quite easily one of the best midfielders the country has seen, you admired parkers vision, but  scholes Is overrated, he wasn’t in one of the best teams the country has ever produce for so long, for being overrated, Ferguson was not a fool

The question here wasn’t who was the best though, it was who was your favourite a huge difference in my opinion.

No doubt if we are talking best midfielders to play for us Kante or Mahrez win that by a country mile, but for me I loved watching Garry Parker, maybe the period of time in my life when I was going home and away, his goal at Stoke will stick with me forever - maybe because I haven’t been in the stadium to see others play as often, they won’t be my favourites. The same as people mentioning players from the 80s, 70s would have different favourite players.

I Didn't say Laudrup was 1st, I think Messi, Maradona, Pele, Ronald can fight that one out, but I think he’s a far better player than some who get mentioned as a top 10 player. - watch some highlights, look who he played for and what he won. Again my favourite player.

Read what I said about Scholes, ‘undoubtedly a good footballer’ but the way he is spoken about since retirement, he was never spoke about that way when he played. Scholes was a terrible tackler and a dirty bastard, this doesn’t get mentioned much since his retirement. I can’t think of a big game he grabbed the team, lifted them and won the game on his own.

The best players do this regularly in big games. 
Again here though we are talking favourite players not best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

The question here wasn’t who was the best though, it was who was your favourite a huge difference in my opinion.

No doubt if we are talking best midfielders to play for us Kante or Mahrez win that by a country mile, but for me I loved watching Garry Parker, maybe the period of time in my life when I was going home and away, his goal at Stoke will stick with me forever - maybe because I haven’t been in the stadium to see others play as often, they won’t be my favourites. The same as people mentioning players from the 80s, 70s would have different favourite players.

I Didn't say Laudrup was 1st, I think Messi, Maradona, Pele, Ronald can fight that one out, but I think he’s a far better player than some who get mentioned as a top 10 player. - watch some highlights, look who he played for and what he won. Again my favourite player.

Read what I said about Scholes, ‘undoubtedly a good footballer’ but the way he is spoken about since retirement, he was never spoke about that way when he played. Scholes was a terrible tackler and a dirty bastard, this doesn’t get mentioned much since his retirement. I can’t think of a big game he grabbed the team, lifted them and won the game on his own.

The best players do this regularly in big games. 
Again here though we are talking favourite players not best.

Ahh fair play i miss read, but still disagree on scholes. Im sure there was a few games he controlled, which ones, i can’t remember, when alan shearer say, him and gazza were clearly the two best ever players he has  ever played with, and Ferguson saying he was only 1 of 4 world class players he has ever managed, he’s gotta be special, painful for me to big him up tbf, really didnt like the whole man u thing as a kid 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lestajigs said:

Ahh fair play i miss read, but still disagree on scholes. Im sure there was a few games he controlled, which ones, i can’t remember, when alan shearer say, him and gazza were clearly the two best ever players he has  ever played with, and Ferguson saying he was only 1 of 4 world class players he has ever managed, he’s gotta be special, painful for me to big him up tbf, really didnt like the whole man u thing as a kid 😂

All good it’s a game of opinions and it would be boring if we all had the same opinion. 
Gazza now there was a player 

• Like 1

Paul Scholes was good but he wasn't anywhere near Lampard and Gerrard in terms of being all round midfielders. Scholes was a good goalscorer but didn't actually create that much? Lampard was a freak in terms of goalscoring from midfield and Gerrard was very very good at almost everything.

• Like 1