Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

All time Favourite Midfielder

Weller and Muzzy over my lifetime of watching city.  Legends.

Gazza best England midfielder of the last 40 years, before the FA Cup final knee injury - stunning!!

English football - probably Gerrard & Lampard, edged Scholes & Souness in the 80's

World Football - Is Cruyff a midfielder??  If so e da man, if not choose from Platini (won Euro 84 on his own), Zidane, probably Iniesta.  Zico in the conversation somewhere.

• Like 2

Leicester - No one got me off my seat more than Esteban Cambiasso even in his short stint here. He had absolutely everything.

Non-Leicester - Lothar Matthaus. Absolute genius of a midfielder, a general and completely underrated in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Zidane was phenomenal. 

Xavi and Iniesta though we’re staples in the Midfield of potentially the best team ever. 

For Leicester, I can’t look past Kante. The fact he’s loved by Leicester fans the way he is, having played less than 50 games, tells you how great he was. I think his career has regressed and he’s been wasted at Chelsea. Maybe another season with us and he could have gone to PSG, Manchester City or Real Madrid. 

• Like 1

On 12/06/2020 at 01:13, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Outside of City it's Riquelme, Veron, and Ronaldinho in all if you can class him as a midfielder rather than a forward.

Always had a soft spot for Tomas Rosicky in all.

Have to agree on Rosicky. Always liked him, perhaps because my Dad is an Arsenal fan and took me to a couple games when I was younger. Always got excited seeing Rosicky play. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

The Kante brothers, but before that McAllister was a particular favourite of mine

Mac was a real gem wasn’t he.I remember his debut v Ipswich I think?I was about 8 years old.He was clearly very nervous.He was in a good position to shoot,the crowd willed him on and he had a crack that forced a good save.I just remember his face.The look of relief.Never looked back and had a brilliant career.

• Like 2

On 12/06/2020 at 12:25, Ric Flair said:

Paul Scholes was good but he wasn't anywhere near Lampard and Gerrard in terms of being all round midfielders. Scholes was a good goalscorer but didn't actually create that much? Lampard was a freak in terms of goalscoring from midfield and Gerrard was very very good at almost everything.

But Scholes was more talented than the pair of them…. He was an exceptionally good player and potentially a bracket above them….

I guess we could talk about which player was most effective though… or a better leader

For me…. With a nod and a wink to Draper, Gary Mac, Muzzy and Lennon (and even a fine memory of Mark Davies!)…. it has to be Kante for us

Best midfielder I’ve seen outside of our team???  Pirlo, iniesta???  Has to be Zidane I think - he was sumblime

• Like 1

Nobody has mentioned Drinky yet, I believe?

He may have had a sad decline from champion to washed up laughing stock but Let's remember the good times.  A vital cog in that title winning machine setting Vardy scampering off on numerous occasions.  His name will be remembered by our grandkid's grandkids..

And we got ££34m profit out of it!

32 minutes ago, murphy said:

Nobody has mentioned Drinky yet, I believe?

He may have had a sad decline from champion to washed up laughing stock but Let's remember the good times.  A vital cog in that title winning machine setting Vardy scampering off on numerous occasions.  His name will be remembered by our grandkid's grandkids..

And we got ££34m profit out of it!

Part of the reason I am a fan of the team.

Really hope he can get back on track with his game.

LCFC related- Kante; I remember being there on his debut and him coming off the bench into some weird left midfield position and I knew with 5 mins I was witnessing someone special 

Non LCFC related- Vieira; From 2000-2004 he was head and shoulders above all other midfielders in my opinion. Faster, stronger than anyone, great with the ball, great in a tackle, he had the lot. 

I’ve been fortunately to see some greats live; Gerrard, Figo, Seedorf. However those two will always stand out to me

Guest An Sionnach

Stephen Gerrard is probably the greatest ever English midfielder , he carried Liverpool for years and was far ahead of his England international teammates . If he had played alongside Zidane at Real they would have been the greatest pairing of all time.

David Gibson..

K.Weller ( when he played in midfield )

M.Izzet..

Parker..

Kante

Because those 5 wore the foxes badge,no other , no matter how good....Can compare.!!

One hopes we can Add a few from present team....!

On 13/06/2020 at 18:35, Staffs Fox said:

LCFC related- Kante; I remember being there on his debut and him coming off the bench into some weird left midfield position and I knew with 5 mins I was witnessing someone special 

Non LCFC related- Vieira; From 2000-2004 he was head and shoulders above all other midfielders in my opinion. Faster, stronger than anyone, great with the ball, great in a tackle, he had the lot. 

I’ve been fortunately to see some greats live; Gerrard, Figo, Seedorf. However those two will always stand out to me

Did you though? lol in 5 minutes playing on the wing in a late cameo v Sunderland 

Loved Izzett growing up and of course Kante, Drinkwater, King, Cambiasso for LCFC for various obvious reasons. 

A bit of a curveball in terms of outside the club, but i loved Pavel Nedved. What a fantastic player he was, and criminally underrated. 

On 14/06/2020 at 12:12, An Sionnach said:

Stephen Gerrard is probably the greatest ever English midfielder , he carried Liverpool for years and was far ahead of his England international teammates . If he had played alongside Zidane at Real they would have been the greatest pairing of all time.

I agree. Gerrard was world class personified in what an all round midfielder should have

can't believe that nobody has mentioned De Bruyne. of the current crop of players he is head and shoulders above the rest.

For me though for LCFC Weller, Mcallister, Izzet, and Kante are the stand outs. Honourable mention has to go to King simply for being a legend and his loyalty to the club. Ndidi will probably take the ultimate accolade in years to come if he carries on the way he is going.

in world football, Gazza, Beckenbaur, Cruyff, platini and Alonso probably take the honours. Special mention to Dunga, the glue that kept that Brazil side going over the years and allowed the flair players to do their stuff

• Like 1

16 hours ago, M0901 said:

Loved Izzett growing up and of course Kante, Drinkwater, King, Cambiasso for LCFC for various obvious reasons. 

A bit of a curveball in terms of outside the club, but i loved Pavel Nedved. What a fantastic player he was, and criminally underrated. 

I loved Nedved and semi agree in that (over here) his name rarely crops up in terms of greats from that generation for some reason - but he was lauded with about every honour going, he won the Ballon d'Or at his peak, I don't think he was under rated. He's probably just better remembered / talked about on the continent because he never played here and we'd rather wank on about how "Paul Scholes has still got it !!!!!! 🔥👌" when a video circulates of him passing a ball into an empty goal.

That Czech side in 2004 was top tier, loved the Russians in 2008 in all. 

• Thanks 1