Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
enmac

All time Favourite Midfielder

Muzzy forever.

Kaka would be my favourite non-Leicester midfielder, I would have him down as an attacking midfield anyway. Seems to be forgotten a little thanks to Messi and Ronaldo, but he was incredible in his prime and was the world's most expensive player for about 30 seconds. 

His performance v United at Old Trafford is still one of the greatest individual performances I've ever seen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1980s Folkestone Town legend Billy Plews.

His profile at Margate FC, where he clearly mainly played centre back: http://www.margatefootballclubhistory.com/billyplews.shtml

He also played centre back for Folkestone (club of my youth) but was more often in the Wilf Ndidi defensive midfield role - defensively dominant, reliable passer (nothing fancy, mind!), uncompromising tackler, powerful in the air in both boxes, with good positioning and a blistering long shot.

For us Izzet as I just started going when he was still our outstanding player. I liked Wellens who was our best midfilder in years, probably since Izzet. Drinkwater I really liked too and I think people forget how good he was.

As a neutral over here I liked Vieira and Gerrard (both seemed able to do anything; strong, could win the ball back, score goals, take set pieces, captain the team, loyal, good in the air).

In Europe obviously Zidane who was just sensational at every level he played. And I always liked Xavi and Schweinsteiger in more recent times. Schweinsteiger used to boss midfield, amazing too considering I think he started wide right.

Edited by Fox92
Spelling of Schweinsteiger...
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One of the most underrated players in my lifetime, Brian Laudrup:

Won the Champions League and League at Barcelona before he had a falling out with Johan Cruyff, who had him on the bench as Milan smashed them 4-0 in the 1994 final. Then he transferred to Real Madrid where he won the league, enroute to beating Barcelona 5-0.

The guy had it all, technique, touch, style, grace, passing, intelligence, could use either foot, fast, strong, etc.

As Laudrup was more of a 10 than a regular midfielder, then I would plump for this guy, Andrea Pirlo:

Pirlo was just a phenomenal player. He was 30 seconds if not more ahead of anyone else on the pitch, always knowing what was going on. He was not the most physical or fast, but his sheer football IQ was something else.

As for us, we have been blessed with a fair few amazing ones, but without any shadow of a doubt it has to be the club icon that is Muzzy Izzet! What. A. Player.

Esteban Cambiasso is also worth a shout. He was class at age 34. IMO had he been in this league at the age of 28 he would have won player of the year. He was in the same category as Vieria, Keane and Scholes. In fact IMO he combined the defensive work of the first two with the class and playmaking ability of the latter, making a very rare breed indeed.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2