Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Odsonne Edouard

2 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Will he be happy being behind Vardy in the pecking order for the next year or so? I feel like he'd rather go somewhere he can be the main man right away

Controversial opinion, but I’m not so sure he will be “behind” Vardy in the pecking order this season.

Yes, Vardy has just come off of a golden boot winning season, and Yes, I do think he is better than Edouard as a finisher, however........

We are easily looking at 50+ games this season if we do averagely well in the cups /Europe, Vardy isn’t getting any younger, and although he is still a big threat, he’s likely to need more rest to avoid injuries, and become less likely to handle a full 90 minutes.

Personally, I think both strikers would get 25+ starts each this season, and you will see lots more subs between the 2 of them at around 65 minutes. Either Vardy getting knackered after 65, or coming on for a “fresh” 30.

That’s not to mention games where BR might play 2 up top, or move that way if we are chasing a game.

We may not like to think it, but this year we should start to see a transition away from Vardy a bit more, which is why we need our 2nd Striker to be of very good quality.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

This may be wrong but my own opinion would be that Vardy should be used more sparingly to prolong him for an extra season or two. If that were to be the case then I think Edouard would be better playing say 10-15 league games, all the cup games and European games than going to a side where he'd be battling relegation, I don't think the latter would be the right move for him. Maybe the plan is to play 3-5-2 next season and that's a big part of the interest, who knows.

I agree with parts of this, although it may be the case that Edouard gets more of the “bottom half” league and cup games, and Vardy saved for the top 6 / European games. Vardy is 100% the man against the big teams, and it would give Edouard more time to settle, and more chances to score and build his confidence in “lesser” games. 
I still think 2 up top will be used very sparingly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NasPb said:

Not needed imo

So if Vardy gets injured for a long time, and we’re in Europa as well this year, are we going to just have Ian lead the line? 

people need to realise we have enough games this coming season to keep at least three quality out and out strikers busy 

2 minutes ago, City1884 said:

Controversial opinion, but I’m not so sure he will be “behind” Vardy in the pecking order this season.

Yes, Vardy has just come off of a golden boot winning season, and Yes, I do think he is better than Edouard as a finisher, however........

We are easily looking at 50+ games this season if we do averagely well in the cups /Europe, Vardy isn’t getting any younger, and although he is still a big threat, he’s likely to need more rest to avoid injuries, and become less likely to handle a full 90 minutes.

Personally, I think both strikers would get 25+ starts each this season, and you will see lots more subs between the 2 of them at around 65 minutes. Either Vardy getting knackered after 65, or coming on for a “fresh” 30.

That’s not to mention games where BR might play 2 up top, or move that way if we are chasing a game.

We may not like to think it, but this year we should start to see a transition away from Vardy a bit more, which is why we need our 2nd Striker to be of very good quality.

Oh I agree that Vardy will play less this season, but he'll still be seen as the main man this season. If we play with one up front, Eduardo will be the man watching from the sidelines. I'd be very excited to see the 2 of them play together. And obviously he still have age in his side so will he seen as a long term replacement, but Vardy has just signed a 3 year contract. To me, that suggests that he's still seen as one of the more important pieces of our puzzle for at least next season.

Any new strikers that come in will no doubt he made aware that Vardy is still the main man, but will he phased out of the team gradually over the next couple of years.

I just feel like Eduardo is the sort of player who will want to play as many games as possible. That's the only thing that might put him off coming here

13 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

This may be wrong but my own opinion would be that Vardy should be used more sparingly to prolong him for an extra season or two. If that were to be the case then I think Edouard would be better playing say 10-15 league games, all the cup games and European games than going to a side where he'd be battling relegation, I don't think the latter would be the right move for him. Maybe the plan is to play 3-5-2 next season and that's a big part of the interest, who knows.

...Edouard appears to be someone who carries from deeper, not pushed up to the front in Vardys' space!!!

Would I be right in believing he would be more competing with Maddison as opposed to rotating with Vardy. I do not see him as an out and out striker and playing him in that role will leave him nullified as he would have a Centre Half standing on his toes, what do you think?

9 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

So if Vardy gets injured for a long time, and we’re in Europa as well this year, are we going to just have Ian lead the line? 

people need to realise we have enough games this coming season to keep at least three quality out and out strikers busy 

We have kelechi and perez. Fine for now. Need wingers 

8 minutes ago, NasPb said:

... lol

We need both, to be honest. We need a long term replacement for Vards, "fine for now" isn't really acceptable any longer. We need to start preparing in advance for his departure, neither of those players are 9s.

We do also need wingers, though, yes. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

I disagree, I don’t think it’s enough.

Talking of wingers Dimi had a great pre season friendly. Not sure what BR has done to get him playing with a passing mindset. Totally different Dimi. I might get shot down for this post.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NasPb said:

If Vardy gets injured we’re ****ed to put it plainly. Kalechi and Perez will not offer happy enough goals. Did people not take note of our form post Christmas? It was relegation. 

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

If Vardy gets injured we’re ****ed to put it plainly. Kalechi and Perez will not offer happy enough goals. Did people not take note of our form post Christmas? It was relegation. 

Doesn't help when you don't have wingers 

2 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Granted, but relying on just Vardy, Kelechi and Perez to get us through a season which is heavily congested is just not enough. Even worse if Vardy gets injured. 

I want a winger as well. But to say it doesn't help when we don't have a winger is a bit weird. It's blatantly obvious we need a striker to help with the goals and not so we just have to rely on Vardy. We need a striker (and a winger). 

1 minute ago, NasPb said:

I agree with both you and @NasPb in that we are screwed if we dont sign any new wingers AND strikers. City need to sort themselves out especially now that its mid pre-season already.

25 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Edouard appears to be someone who carries from deeper, not pushed up to the front in Vardys' space!!!

Would I be right in believing he would be more competing with Maddison as opposed to rotating with Vardy. I do not see him as an out and out striker and playing him in that role will leave him nullified as he would have a Centre Half standing on his toes, what do you think?

I see him as an out and out striker I think maddison should play more centrally but forward as he has been with Tielemans below and around (if 2 up front and 3 at the back which is the problem with 2 up top)

41 minutes ago, City1884 said:

I agree with parts of this, although it may be the case that Edouard gets more of the “bottom half” league and cup games, and Vardy saved for the top 6 / European games. Vardy is 100% the man against the big teams, and it would give Edouard more time to settle, and more chances to score and build his confidence in “lesser” games. 
I still think 2 up top will be used very sparingly.

Yeah I guess there are many ways to skin a cat in this case bit if Edouard gets 15 or so starts on the whole then I think it would be a good move for him.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Nah he's an out and out striker, at his best anyway, he is good at coming deep and linking the play but his greatest asset is running in behind imo, he'd be a good foil for Vardy in that sense as he can do both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With Vardys 3 year deal, it looks like we're planning on him being here for a while still, at some point he's going to have to have games off, he can't start 3 games a week at his age, especially when the season is spread over a shorter period like this one. I think this signing makes sense, but only if we're planning on going 2 up top for some games, other 3 attackers won't be happy with just one position.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Also doesn't help when you've only got one player capable of scoring goals consistently. In short we don't sign any other attacking players between now and the end of the window, we are buggard.  

• Like 1