Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

2 minutes ago, bmt said:

I don't live in Leicester. I understand the frustration is what I was saying.

My parents live in Leicester, they live just off Scraptoft Lane, and although I understand the horrendous double standards on show I would personally prefer a strict lockdown, but that is a personal selfish point of view for my parents, and its not something I have to live with.

I do get the frustration too, but expecting the similar in London was always unlikely.

29 minutes ago, bmt said:

I'm not in the area but I do actually have some sympathy with those who won't obey this lockdown.

When London needed to be locked down to stop the nationwide spread, it wasn't. It was delayed long enough for all middle class Londoners to spread across the whole country, and then the whole country was locked down instead. Why should we be treated differently?

Government ministers, advisors, and the mayor of Leicester have all broken lockdown rules. Why should we act any differently?

Because the grim reaper loves it when the selfish and the dim infect the innocent

29 minutes ago, bmt said:

When London needed to be locked down to stop the nationwide spread, it wasn't. It was delayed long enough for all middle class Londoners to spread across the whole country, and then the whole country was locked down instead. Why should we be treated differently?

What a load of rubbish, did you read that somewhere or just make it up?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

What a load of rubbish, did you read that somewhere or just make it up?

It's what happened. I know loads of people from uni who ****ed off when they were delaying locking London down.

18 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

That's not how it reads.

Well it depends on your reading of 'for'. I think it's clear nobody would think that policy was dictated by posh people getting to their second homes. But people are keen to jump down others throats rather than think about what they probably mean when using ambiguous language. The fact of the matter is that London should have been locked down and wasn't, which led to rich people leaving for other places and causing harm when intranational travel should have been kept at a minimum. Now Leicester is being locked down, and to me that's a massive double standard based purely on political and economic importance. 

Also I disagree it reads like that anyway. The 'for' refers to the words before it - 'long enough', not 'delayed'. 

Edited by bmt

30 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

This lockdown is only to be reviewed in two weeks.  Could be longer. Going to be hell watching the tv from the weekend watching the rest of the Country enjoying themselves shopping and drinking in beer gardens. 

Just like the ‘hell’ it was for a lot of us when most people were working from home/furloughed enjoying beers in their gardens while others carried on working as normal...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if roadblocks or checkpoints are put in place by the weekend, when the lockdown first came about the police were doing loads of random checks for a couple of days here in Loughborough

I think it'll be fairly strict to show that localised lockdowns can work

Always by consent…. No way we’ll see roadblocks…

1 minute ago, bmt said:

Well it depends on your reading of 'for'. I think it's clear nobody would think that policy was dictated by posh people getting to their second homes. But people are keen to jump down others throats rather than think about what they probably mean when using ambiguous language. The fact of the matter is that London should have been locked down and wasn't, which led to rich people leaving for other places and causing harm when intranational travel should have been kept at a minimum. Now Leicester is being locked down, and to me that's a massive double standard based purely on political and economic importance. 

I kind of agree London should have been locked down in late Feb / early March when projected cases appeared to have been around 200k a day. Hindsight is a great thing though and a localised lockdown is more palatable now that it would have been back viewed then.

• Like 1

Probably been discussed to death but is there any particular reason for the outbreak in Leicester? Doesnt seem to have been any better or worse in the media in the terms of breaking social distancing than London when I've been out and about in the saff?

6 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

Just like the ‘hell’ it was for a lot of us when most people were working from home/furloughed enjoying beers in their gardens while others carried on working as normal...

I’d have put everyone one the dole pal. Hate the furloughed idea. Lads I know never been better off since been on furlough. Luckily I live in a nice area where I haven’t been close to these mid week parties the furloughed mob have been having. 

Just now, Nalis said:

Probably been discussed to death but is there any particular reason for the outbreak in Leicester? Doesnt seem to have been any better or worse in the media in the terms of breaking social distancing than London when I've been out and about in the saff?

There's a lot of speculation without much evidence. For me most of the factors can be found in a multitude of other cities though, so no doubt there is significant bad luck involved too. And of course the huge increase in testing in Leicester compared to other cities leads to more realistic numbers. In other cities, no doubt, there will be a higher proportion of untested (and therefore unknown) positives.

4 minutes ago, chrishlcfc said:

So basically from my understanding of the map because I live the right side of an M1 bridge, I’m not in the strict lockdown.

That basically sums up how stupid this whole situation is being handled 😂

Party in Chris' house!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

I’d have put everyone one the dole pal. Hate the furloughed idea. Lads I know never been better off since been on furlough. Luckily I live in a nice area where I haven’t been close to these mid week parties the furloughed mob have been having. 

Give your head a shake if you think the furloughed mob were having parties all the same. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chrishlcfc said:

So basically from my understanding of the map because I live the right side of an M1 bridge, I’m not in the strict lockdown.

That basically sums up how stupid this whole situation is being handled 😂

Northbound LFE Services = Party Central

Southbound LFE Services = Baah Humbug 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Nalis said:

A number of reasons I can think of:

• Higher BAME population (who usually have multigenerational households)
  • BLM protests (although these were quite a few weeks back now)
  • People in general just not being responsible
  • A lot of factories where people work in close proximity together
  • More testing, we've had mobile units where you don't even need to book in
  • Eid was at the end of May, probably a lot of families getting together and celebrating, social distancing may have been forgotten about
  • People visiting the beach and other destinations because of the hot weather we've had

It only takes a few people to get together and then return home to a home with a large number of people in it for this thing to spread quite easily. I'd say we've just been unlucky as well as some people being irresponsible.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 2