Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

How much of pillar 2 is down to these testing sites cropping up and how do the numbers of tests compare at these sites in comparison to other urban areas?

I still can't see past the increase in cases is down to the increase in testing at local level argument.  The more you test, the more cases you will find as the sample size increases.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The BBC is suggesting that some communities are not following the rules due to translation difficulties. Does Leicester really have that many unable to speak English? 

I’ve done a lot of work for the council / housing associations in the city and there’s quite a large number of the Asian community that speak none or very little English. Tends to be the older generations, but they usually have at least one English speaking person in the household.

whether that’s the reason for them not following the rules or not i don’t know. Could just be an excuse 

3 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

I live in Stratford-upon-Avon but have yet to update my driving license so it still has me down as living in Leicester. Hope they don’t ask for proof of address via driving license at the weekend :beer:

It's not a police state. If you're in the right and being respectful to others, tell anyone who asks to do one

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

How much of pillar 2 is down to these testing sites cropping up and how do the numbers of tests compare at these sites in comparison to other urban areas?

I still can't see past the increase in cases is down to the increase in testing at local level argument.  The more you test, the more cases you will find as the sample size increases.

I was told that Glenfield icu is filling up and there are 36 spikes around the country, so maybe it's not just the testing and people behind the scenes are monitoring the hospital situation. Reckons we should have gone back into lockdown 2 weeks ago. The government obviously want people spending money again but don't want to scare people into not going out into public.

On 28/06/2020 at 10:18, Cecchini1976 said:

I believe it is just pockets of the city and all to do with Eid celebrations. The city won’t go in to lockdown. And it isn’t that many cases but obviously on a graph it shows a massive spike. 

I heard it's to do with hosiery factories. But who knows? This government has been telling us lie after lie. 

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Why’s it take a Financial Times article to eventually get the larger picture of it all. 

Soulsby was getting criticised for his attitude yesterday morning but he was only subjected to the same data as the general public 

Do you mean this article? Cases are far higher than we are being told. 

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1277960112691273728?s=20

35 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Isn’t it down to the proportion of positive cases to tests? 

8 minutes ago, enmac said:

Isn’t it down to the proportion of positive cases to tests? 

That's my understanding but the more you test, the more accurate the data would be.  You cannot assume 10 in 10000 for example is equivalent to 100 in 100000.  

Sample sizes and the nature of the sample makeup are hugely important.

I've done a little bit of reading on the govt data tracking and it's all "next slide please" level of detail.  Not great.  But the "rate" figure, however this is calculated, is far greater in Leeds and Liverpool for example than Leicester.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 1

Amazed by the amount of people on social media who can't read a map. I used to live in Thurmaston, and a lot of comments seem to think that as the red line cuts the word Thurmaston in half than it half of Thurmaston. But my favourite was the bloke who despite the red line being to the east side of Thurmaston  somehow the old village on the west side was the bit outside the zone.

People will just read it how they want if they are near the line.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I was told that Glenfield icu is filling up and there are 36 spikes around the country, so maybe it's not just the testing and people behind the scenes are monitoring the hospital situation. Reckons we should have gone back into lockdown 2 weeks ago. The government obviously want people spending money again but don't want to scare people into not going out into public.

BBC reporting 3 other areas showing spikes, Bradford, Barnsley and Rochdale. 

1 hour ago, Wet Trump said:

I live in Stratford-upon-Avon but have yet to update my driving license so it still has me down as living in Leicester. Hope they don’t ask for proof of address via driving license at the weekend :beer:

I've alerted the authorities, your screwed

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wet Trump said:

Put it on the urgent to-do list though.Decent sized fine for having wrong address on your driving liecense.Plus potential hassle.

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Either way the government are inept and I agree a localised lockdown is too late.

If it's true that hospital admissions are up, then just be honest and tell us the situation as is. Why is it so hard to get a straight answer out if Westminster when it's possible in both Wales and Scotland. 

If it's not true, then I can't see any reason for the lockdown other than, let's test it out and see how we go. 

But through it all you just get this feeling that the government don't give a shit what happens. It's like they are on autopilot.

45 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Amazed by the amount of people on social media who can't read a map. I used to live in Thurmaston, and a lot of comments seem to think that as the red line cuts the word Thurmaston in half than it half of Thurmaston. But my favourite was the bloke who despite the red line being to the east side of Thurmaston  somehow the old village on the west side was the bit outside the zone.

People will just read it how they want if they are near the line.

Has been all along, people will read and interpret the rules as they see fit. 

For instance, essential travel only to most means only shop for food and doctors etc. But to the bright sparks amongst us "essential travel" includes a few pints with your mates

13 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Put it on the urgent to-do list though.Decent sized fine for having wrong address on your driving liecense.Plus potential hassle.

Yeah, I completely forgot about it and was told it’s up to £1000 fine. Might get it looked at tomorrow!

Thought this was all to do with increase in the cases in children, much higher than normal. The lockdown would arguably be justified in such circumstances.