Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

27 minutes ago, chrishlcfc said:

So basically from my understanding of the map because I live the right side of an M1 bridge, I’m not in the strict lockdown.

That basically sums up how stupid this whole situation is being handled 😂

You do understand how boundaries work?  There has to be a line somewhere.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, chrishlcfc said:

So basically from my understanding of the map because I live the right side of an M1 bridge, I’m not in the strict lockdown.

That basically sums up how stupid this whole situation is being handled 😂

Me too but I have to travel into the infected zone daily because that’s where I work 😝🙄

Guest Fktf
4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Pretty silly to cut towns in half though, right? Just makes it look arbitrary, and increases the chances people will ignore it. Bit similar to putting out a map with shaded areas that show areas that were considered for lockdown, but then not included. People are going to question it, but only because you've given them something that invites questions. 

I'd like to think PHE are comparing number of tests undertaken against positive results. Not sure they're that daft to just look at net results. Not buying the cause is due to greater testing one bit. 

People envious of those around the country being able to visit the pub, you really won't be missing out on much.

My mate works in the local to me and the systems put in place are going to be  strict and it's not going to be anything how you imagine. I can't imagine it'll be an enjoyable experience. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yes of course but in the middle of LFE which is not exactly a massive place is it. 

Anyway don’t know why I’m moaning I’m on the right side of the bridge. 

What an absolute strawman this whole thing is. 

I live the 'wrong side' over the line in occupied Glenfield literally a 300 meter footpath walk to 'vichy' Anstey. 

The real need was/is a total lockdown in the affected postcode areas, but they daren't do it. So instead cook up this half arsed nobody gives a toss lockdown

On another note, my kids school seemed rather too enthusiastic for my liking to close down. Email sent last night. 

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

We call the nephews around here :D

I’ve invited him to come and stay with his Uncle Ben (AKA his mums brother :P) for a bit if he can’t go to his Mums…. The poor bugger was gutted…. Not seen any of his family for months….  All these consequences for ignorant/ selfish behaviour…

I’m miffed I tell you…. And you wouldn’t like me when I’m miffed!

Edited by Wolfox
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

I’ve invited him to come and stay with his Uncle Ben for a bit if he can’t go to his Mums…. The poor bugger was gutted…. Not seen any of his family for months….  All these consequences for ignorant/ selfish behaviour…

I’m miffed I tell you…. And you wouldn’t like me when I’m miffed!

I hope he likes rice

• Haha 3

Reactions to this seem to range from "Well dey should of leaned english then shouldnt they!??!!??!?!!??!", to "some people are just ignorant and don't think the rules apply to them", and wanting to scream RACIST at Ratilal Govind but not sure how to do it effectively what with him inconveniently being Asian.

Has there any more detail release yet other than:- 

- Boundary around the city plus other areas 

- Schools closed from Thursday 

- Non-essential retail closed immediately 

Awfully vague - no details about expectations regards work (is it just key workers or more), no details about bubbles, no details about travel 

0_map.jpg

This is the official map which has just been released by the county council. The area inside the red line is the affected area.

LeicestershireLive has made repeated requests for more detail about the areas where the restrictions will apply.

Glenfield, Oadby and Birstall were all said to be included last night but details of the areas affected were otherwise lacking until now. All the air

The areas of Leicestershire included in the localised lockdown are:

In Blaby District:
• Braunstone Town (including Fosse Park)
• Glenfield
• Glen Parva
• Leicester Forest East (East of the M1)
• Thorpe Astley

In Charnwood:
• Birstall
• Thurmaston

All areas of Oadby and Wigston.

The county council says it is working on a postcode checker for those who live on borders and are unsure.

As a result of a huge spike in cases, non-essential shops have closed, and from Thursday schools will return to teaching the children of key workers only.

Pubs, restaurants, hairdressers and other businesses due to open this weekend won't now be able to.

Last night it was revealed that the lockdown will cover not just the area within the city boundaries but also some areas just outside them.

Nick Rushton, leader of Leicestershire County Council, said: “Protecting residents is our main concern and we’re working closely with Leicester City Council and the Government to bring down the number of cases.

“Clearly coronavirus does not adhere to lines on a map. And although county rates are below the national and regional averages, we can’t be complacent and it makes sense to step up restrictions in areas closer to the city.

“This is the first localised lockdown on this scale and undoubtedly there will be issues to iron out."

"I understand this is disappointing news for residents, parents of schoolchildren and businesses when most of the country is opening back up but it’s crucial that people follow the latest advice.

"Observing social distancing, handwashing, wearing a face mask where required and getting tested if you have symptoms remain vital."

“Our actions play a key role in shaping what happens next and I encourage people to heed the advice and play their part in helping to save lives and livelihoods.”

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said: “These measures are stricter than we anticipated but we understand the need for firm action. I am determined that we will make this work and to minimise the time these additional measures need to be in place in the city.

“We will of course continue to play our part in keeping people in the city safe and healthy.”

4 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

What the ****. You can’t make this shit up

There wouldn't be any deaths for another 2 weeks would there? 3/4 weeks to see deaths from infection is about right isn't it. So it'll be interesting to see if there's an increase in deaths between 6th-13th july

14 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Leicester is the guinea pig for localised lockdowns. 

The End

Maybe but if the case numbers of 10% national cases are correct then fair enough, it’s just late again.

For anyone heading on holiday soon, I’ve already heard of an instance where a camp site doesn’t want anyone from Leicester coming.