Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think anyone having a serious conversation is going to include us. For as long as Rodgers is here it looks like we're here to stay unless all of Tottenham, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd simultaneously get their shit together and leave us behind. Which won't happen. 

But there's just no market in fawning over Leicester City. What's the point in us being in the discussion? We've got a small, local fanbase. We don't really account for a high volume of clicks, likes, retweets or subscriptions. 

There's no incentive for either major broadcasters or online sources to dedicate all that much time talking up Leicester City. And that's before you get in to the "we don't want any more Leicester Citys" of it all. 

Increasingly, the majority of football fans are only really interested in hearing about their own team so any fuss made over us is largely just going to be for our benefit and we represent a minority of the market share. 

I know it's shit that that's how football media works these days but it is. 

Oh yeah, I know we won't get too much coverage or fawned over but I still think there's a tendency to suggest we're a long way behind Chelsea and Man United because of the sizes of the clubs and the respective budgets yet for nearly a season and a half we're roughly around the same level. We're still a way behind Liverpool and Manchester City but there's really not much between the next five if you include Tottenham and Wolves on last season.

To do what we're doing in this era of huge spending is frankly remarkable and shows how good our recruitment and coaching has been.

1 minute ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Aston Villa seem to have a f*** you attitude against the top clubs, they don't show them any respect, Grealish just gets on with it carrying his team forward.

They’d be infinitely worse without Grealish, not least because he’s a brilliant player, but because he drives everyone on. He’s like a fan on the pitch giving everything for the cause and he just drags the others along with him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Koke said:

Sarri was infintly better but got slandered from day one. Lampard has proven he can't organise a defence..I was fearful they would steamroll us and finish way ahead of us after the summer they had but they are too shambolic at the back to do anything serious.

He's got a big week coming up- Aston Villa who are excellent away and then Man City.

59 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Makes our side look all the better. We have been massively inconsistent, but I am so excited and proud of the current Leicester team. We play as well as anyone other than Liverpool in the league, despite losing so many good players over the years and not being able to go out and spend mega bucks. This Chelsea side have Giroud, Werner, Ziyech, Havertz, Pullisic, etc all at their disposal on the attacking front and are still getting beat 3-0 to the worst Arsenal side in years. Admittedly we got done by West Ham, but we didn't spend 200m+ on reinforcements in the summer!

Yeah I agree, ultimately when you judge us, you've got to assume Chelsea should probably come above us. I don't think Chelsea can be excused a run like this, not with that big a spend.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Newcastle are 22/1 to beat Man City, can’t recall odds being that high for a single premier league game 

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think Norwich were even higher against them last year, and won lol 

Burnley were 25/1 to win at Man City a few years ago.

In 2010, Hercules were 33/1 to beat Barcelona at the Nou Camp...and duly won 2 nil.

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yeah I agree, ultimately when you judge us, you've got to assume Chelsea should probably come above us. I don't think Chelsea can be excused a run like this, not with that big a spend.

I think that more damningly, their style of football is not that clear. Last season they had a high press style that was effective, and they've gone out and brought players that should fit that system; Werner was at Leipzig, Ziyech at Ajax, both of whom play that way. Yet today they played the way Arsenal have been criticised for, trying cross after cross with no end product.

We had to go to 3 at the back until Ndidi got back, but our last two games have seen the "true" Leicester City team we saw play great stuff last season. Pressing at the right times, creating overloads on the wings, drifting between the lines to create additional space, etc. In today's game we saw many examples of our play and we looked like the team trying to play football and wear the other team down, and not megabucks Man United! I think that's something Rodgers must be praised for, even if he doesn't always get it right. We have a clear style and way of playing which is both effective and pleasing on the eye. Often times I watch the type of football we play and can't help but gush, is it really Leicester City playing that way!? I have to pinch myself sometimes.

It does take time to bed in players, but Chelsea have signed players who have already proved themselves at a very high level in Thiago Silva, Werner, Havertz, Chilwell to some degree even. That they can be so poor is testament to having a rookie manager in charge.

Our game against them coming up soon will be interesting! We should have won at least one of our encounters against them last sesason!

• Like 1

Guest StevieLynex
1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

Maybe Chelsea need to brink Drinkwater in from the cold  :ph34r:

They are planning their next raid on LCFC- £50m bid coming up for Gray in January

Guest StevieLynex
1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Could argue Wolves have been pretty smart in the transfer market.

Southampton have been quite good over the years 

Havertz has gone from being the star player at a very good side in Germany under an experienced manager to being a substitute in an underperforming team under a clueless manager in England.

Really poor career move from him, he had his pick of clubs this summer.

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

These unnecessarily late flags when a player is CLEARLY offside are annoying. One day a player is going to get seriously injured during a passage of play that should never have happened.

Ben Mee was injured last week as a result of challenging a player that was offside. 

Guest StevieLynex
2 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Havertz has gone from being the star player at a very good side in Germany under an experienced manager to being a substitute in an underperforming team under a clueless manager in England.

Really poor career move from him, he had his pick of clubs this summer.

Can the same be said for Werner?