Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

7 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I've said all along that the real test of the season will be as the fixtures pile up and squads get stretched. We are part way through this period, but most teams will be playing twice a week until March now, with Covid looming on the horizon at any possible time. For us we've got lucky in some way that our biggest spell of injuries so far was at the beginning and now have the unusual situation of almost having a full squad to choose from! This can change very quickly indeed but it's certainly a good place to be in at the moment.

For me this season has the feeling of being back in the Championship in the sense that in that division even if we drew a game that we really should have won such as our away game to Palace, I still look on it as points gained rather than lost. This season the winners won't necessarily be the best team, but the one that was decent enough the most consistently. And that's why even though they've been nothing special at all, the table says that is Man U as of writing. I an see both of the Manchester clubs opening up a bit of a gap over the next few weeks, but when the Champions League matches come back round that will really test the teams still involved in it. That's why Man U, Spurs and ourselves might have a slight advantage as we can probably rest a few more players because it's the Europa. That said I expect Man U to almost forfeit that competition and just play their youngsters, they will be thinking Premier League all the way and given their current position it would be the right decision to do so.

Despite Covid, it's a great league this year though! Very interesting and exciting!

I feel like because we had so many injuries at the start (and coped really well) that those players coming back now are yet to peak. Maddison is really hitting form now, Ricardo/Soyuncu are yet to get going.

So if someone like Justin/Evans/Fofana get tired/injured, we have a fresh replacement waiting.

Midfield we have cover and Ndidi is only just getting going again but Tielemans is my only concern. He is irreplaceable especially now Praet is also out.

Another problem is with Vardy, he needs to be managed so we need someone to step up for him.

If we can manage the above and we avoid a major crisis (or a crash in form like last season), then we are well placed to fight for a European place again. Top 4 will still be a major challenge. Probably looking at a 1.5 points per game average for the second half of the season.

• Like 1

Was just thinking, obviously Man City have loads, but who in the Man Utd team have any experience of coping with the pressure of a title challenge in this league?

24 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Was just thinking, obviously Man City have loads, but who in the Man Utd team have any experience of coping with the pressure of a title challenge in this league?

Suppose it depends when you last class them as being in a title race, but they have 3 title winners in the squad. De Gea, Jones and Matic. Juan Mata has probably been in a title race with Chelsea or Man Utd, but never won it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Suppose it depends when you last class them as being in a title race, but they have 3 title winners in the squad. De Gea, Jones and Matic. Juan Mata has probably been in a title race with Chelsea or Man Utd, but never won it.

Jones didn't make their 25 man squad!  When they signed him, he was the future of Manchester United.

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

This is a great point and it’s why Man City are favourites over Man United. But I’ll say one thing, it’s clearly visible how much more confident Man U are these days compared to any time in the last 4-5 years and the momentum is clearly with them right now. Doesn’t mean they will win it, but they look at time of writing like they think they can win it, and confidence is huge in a situation like this. 

That said in recent weeks it’s pleasing that Kasper, Evans and Albrighton, all players with experience of winning the league, have come to the fore. Vardy is off form but still linking play very well in the team. But we have to hope that the mental collapse of last season is used to stop it happening this time round! That’s the scary thing for me - our players have very recent history of not being able to handle the pressure. We look mentally much stronger so far this season though!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is a great point and it’s why Man City are favourites over Man United. But I’ll say one thing, it’s clearly visible how much more confident Man U are these days compared to any time in the last 4-5 years and the momentum is clearly with them right now. Doesn’t mean they will win it, but they look at time of writing like they think they can win it, and confidence is huge in a situation like this. 

That said in recent weeks it’s pleasing that Kasper, Evans and Albrighton, all players with experience of winning the league, have come to the fore. Vardy is off form but still linking play very well in the team. But we have to hope that the mental collapse of last season is used to stop it happening this time round! That’s the scary thing for me - our players have very recent history of not being able to handle the pressure. We look mentally much stronger so far this season though!

The huge problem Man U have is that of Fernandes, when I've seen them play they rely on him so much they're nearly a one man team, when they've rested him they've look pretty orinary, so he's not play lots. They have been lucky that he's been free from injury.

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I feel like because we had so many injuries at the start (and coped really well) that those players coming back now are yet to peak. Maddison is really hitting form now, Ricardo/Soyuncu are yet to get going.

So if someone like Justin/Evans/Fofana get tired/injured, we have a fresh replacement waiting.

Midfield we have cover and Ndidi is only just getting going again but Tielemans is my only concern. He is irreplaceable especially now Praet is also out.

Another problem is with Vardy, he needs to be managed so we need someone to step up for him.

If we can manage the above and we avoid a major crisis (or a crash in form like last season), then we are well placed to fight for a European place again. Top 4 will still be a major challenge. Probably looking at a 1.5 points per game average for the second half of the season.

Well, the good news is we're averaging 2 per game right now. 

24 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

The huge problem Man U have is that of Fernandes, when I've seen them play they rely on him so much they're nearly a one man team, when they've rested him they've look pretty orinary, so he's not play lots. They have been lucky that he's been free from injury.

Lucky to be free from suspension too.

6 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

How interesting. Has Klopp failed to adapt to the unique aspects of the season, and blown Liverpool up? It is a very demanding way of playing footy.

I read an article recently, about how Pep had adjusted by going with less pressing, and that pressing was down across the league earlier in the season (although that bit was a while back).

Like seem B.Rodgers  Leicesters...2-5.  At Man.city

29 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Strange... Rashford,Pogba oh und Cavani,  aint Bad either...

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

So Vardy..off - form, is when he doesn't score.??   If he wasnt on the Pitch These last few games, who created the movement,Space, assist to assist etc.etc

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

So Vardy..off - form, is when he doesn't score.??   If he wasnt in the Pitch These last few games, who created the movement,Space, assist to assist etc.etc

I thought the same, hes not really playing any differently,  the only difference is hes not had a penalty or tap in.

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Might be one for the unpopular opinion thread but I always think experience is given too much weight over ability.  

To counter point myself a little though, I think Man City will win it due to their superior ability anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Like, Leicester...,Liverpool, Man.citys first title....

Look at the Club & players at Manutd...some Top title winners..

1 minute ago, fuchsntf said:

Like, Leicester...,Liverpool, Man.citys first title....

Look at the Club & players at Manutd...some Top title winners..

Yes, wasn't saying it was in any way a negative or a cause for concern for Man Utd, its just they were an ever present during my slightly younger days (hmm) and now they have so few comparatively who know the experience

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes, wasn't saying it was in any way a negative or a cause for concern for Man Utd, its just they were an ever present during my slightly younger days (hmm) and now they have so few comparatively who know the experience

Like Fergusons young bloods,who Hansen, said famously/infamously..."you dont win titles with kids"...:)

21 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

So Vardy..off - form, is when he doesn't score.??   If he wasnt on the Pitch These last few games, who created the movement,Space, assist to assist etc.etc

I think Vardy is not on his best form.  He still scares defences and creates opportunities and space for others.  Vardy off form means he is only an effective rather than exceptional player at the moment.   When a goat isn't feeling it's best, it's still a goat.

I didn't watch the game last night, but I've watched the highlights this morning. I think its a penalty, but also its one of those where you could say Barnes looks for contact with Allison. He gets a touch on the ball and then purposely drops his legs so it clips the keeper. We've heard that called cheating in the past, people through that "looking for contact" criticism at Vardy a lot in the past.

33 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I've literally said that he's "still linking play very well in the team." But it's a fact that against Southampton he had the most amount of chances he's ever had in any Premier League game and didn't score any, and didn't score against Chelsea either. Of course he's our talisman whose all round game is as important as his finishing, but he's not currently in the middle of a scoring streak. Hence off form by peak Jamie Vardy standards.

The good news is we are playing well and picking up points without him scoring. When he gets his shooting boots back on, it will take us to another level!

12 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I didn't watch the game last night, but I've watched the highlights this morning. I think its a penalty, but also its one of those where you could say Barnes looks for contact with Allison. He gets a touch on the ball and then purposely drops his legs so it clips the keeper. We've heard that called cheating in the past, people through that "looking for contact" criticism at Vardy a lot in the past.

Tom Heaton was one of the pundits last night (sure.. not particularly impartial) but he essentially said you know that if the player gets the first touch you're ****ed, no matter the amount or style of contact.