Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Tom Heaton was one of the pundits last night (sure.. not particularly impartial) but he essentially said you know that if the player gets the first touch you're ****ed, no matter the amount or style of contact. 

Fair point. Allison did come flying out for a bouncing ball, where as if he'd held back a few feet, waited for Barnes to control a difficult ball, whilst off balance, he probably would have nicked the ball of him or blocked any shot. So only himself to blame. Just pointing out Barnes looks for contact.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Fair point. Allison did come flying out for a bouncing ball, where as if he'd held back a few feet, waited for Barnes to control a difficult ball, whilst off balance, he probably would have nicked the ball of him or blocked any shot. So only himself to blame. Just pointing out Barnes looks for contact.

To be fair to Ashley Barnes (and j hate Ashley Barnes) it's the keepers fault. Makes more contact than when their little finger makes contact with the side of the strikers boot and they usually go down and it's called stonewall. But I do think if he isnt given the  penalty for the foul by Allison the blatant pull back by fabinho is enough. 

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes, wasn't saying it was in any way a negative or a cause for concern for Man Utd, its just they were an ever present during my slightly younger days (hmm) and now they have so few comparatively who know the experience

I think the thing with man utd is they still seem close to disaster. I feel like I'm waiting for the first thing to go wrong and they'll spiral. 

4 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

To be fair to Ashley Barnes (and j hate Ashley Barnes) it's the keepers fault. Makes more contact than when their little finger makes contact with the side of the strikers boot and they usually go down and it's called stonewall. But I do think if he isnt given the  penalty for the foul by Allison the blatant pull back by fabinho is enough. 

Oh yeah I hate Ashley Barnes with a passion. And the pull back by Fabinho was enough in itself like you say.

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Mat Ryan signs for Arsenal on loan. Bit out of the blue, that one. 

Really weird. Clearly Brighton's best keeper with Sanchez not looking at all impressive, and Ryan is not likely to play ahead of Leno. Seems rubbish for the player (even if he did support them as a child) and Brighton, so not sure why they agreed to it?

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Really weird one, just seen a tweet that said he's currently 4th choice at Brighton :huh:

I was gonna say, every time I've seen Brighton recently he hasn't played. Not sure if he's been on the bench.

Ryan seems to have fell out if favour very quickly at Brighton. I've always thought he was a solid keeper. We've seen Potter leave Maupay out the team after a falling out before, so I wonder if Potter has a few run ins with certain players.

44 minutes ago, StanSP said:

He's an idiot. 

Sunday 17th to Thursday 21st is not every 3 days. 

They had a break from Friday 8th January to Sunday 17th January. I make that 9 days. 

Before that, it was 4th Jan to 8th Jan. A 4-day gap. 

Before that, it was 30th Dec to 4th Jan. A 5-day gap. 

27-30th Dec was a gap. 

Before that, it was 19th December to 27th December. An 8-day gap. 

His excuse 'might' have worked earlier in the season (other teams also had similar situations) but he's off his head and deluded if he still thinks they're playing every 3 days. 

Not to mention they had one of the more favourable spacings of fixtures over the Christmas period compared to other sides. 

He's becoming moanier than ever. Almost like Jose was in that first Chelsea stint when the novelty wore off and things began not to go his way. Needs to wind it in. 

Kloppo the Clown has been 'off his head' for quite some time if you ask me. 

Zero sympathy for Klopp because as others have said he played an unnecessarily strong side against Villa in the cup and also did the same in a complete dead rubber in the CL when they’d already won the group and actually cost them Jota for 2 months!

With that said, I’m not going to stick my boot into them because this plight they’re in currently was inevitable at some point. They’ve been exceptional, truly exceptional for nearly 3 years and that level of consistency is almost unheard of.
Man City did pretty much the same but a year ahead of Liverpool and last year was their drop off in form and it’s taken them until now to look anywhere close to their best.

Liverpool will return but he needs to buy a centre half. Fabinho has been exceptional filling in but it means he’s not playing in his regular DM position and winning the ball back higher up the field. Him and Henderson in the middle are vital to that high press, high intensity game they play. Having them at CB nullifies that completely and makes them much easier to play against 

Edited by Staffs Fox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I've literally said that he's "still linking play very well in the team." But it's a fact that against Southampton he had the most amount of chances he's ever had in any Premier League game and didn't score any, and didn't score against Chelsea either. Of course he's our talisman whose all round game is as important as his finishing, but he's not currently in the middle of a scoring streak. Hence off form by peak Jamie Vardy standards.

The good news is we are playing well and picking up points without him scoring. When he gets his shooting boots back on, it will take us to another level!

Winning 4-0..instead of 2-0...:)

actually I agree, if he gets his Scoring Pants on again, the opposition Defence wont know where to look...but more  importantly, it will put us in a title competing position...

Another thought...I am a Albrighton fan, always One of the First to Jump in and defend him, or Smile & Let him Show his skills,

with my "told ya so" grin.

I would Love to see Under come in & give us that extra Mystery %, that Tips the scales from us being Top 3-5 candidates,to really attacking those Top 1-2 positions..

Still doesn't mean the Team with Marc.Albrighton the Legend are Not capable of picking up bis 2nd title...

Even Another thought...with Riccardo fit...might We see occasionally either Ric or Justin,  slipping into that WB roll, to give Albrighton the odd Short break,

If we go further in other competitions...

Many fans, criticise other posters, for suggesting moving/using other players out of position...

My answer to that...I Dont know what football many of These Critics have been watching, but in the last 50-60yrs, around UK & Europe,we've seen many a Player

make their names,moving away from original position successful or used across & through lines, its quite a normal Practice has seen in past & modern football...

Jesus..we wouldnt have seen Sweeper...DM,AM, WBs. .false 9, 8 or 10s..back 3,4 varying 5 created,then  forgotten ,then reinstated over the years...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

He's an idiot. 

Sunday 17th to Thursday 21st is not every 3 days. 

They had a break from Friday 8th January to Sunday 17th January. I make that 9 days. 

Before that, it was 4th Jan to 8th Jan. A 4-day gap. 

Before that, it was 30th Dec to 4th Jan. A 5-day gap. 

27-30th Dec was a gap. 

Before that, it was 19th December to 27th December. An 8-day gap. 

His excuse 'might' have worked earlier in the season (other teams also had similar situations) but he's off his head and deluded if he still thinks they're playing every 3 days. 

Not to mention they had one of the more favourable spacings of fixtures over the Christmas period compared to other sides. 

He's becoming moanier than ever. Almost like Jose was in that first Chelsea stint when the novelty wore off and things began not to go his way. Needs to wind it in. 

He's always been the same. Couldn't stand him when I lived by dortmund and still can't stand him now. When he came over he was just the new media loved manager and unfortunately everyone took the bait.

52 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Really weird. Clearly Brighton's best keeper with Sanchez not looking at all impressive, and Ryan is not likely to play ahead of Leno. Seems rubbish for the player (even if he did support them as a child) and Brighton, so not sure why they agreed to it?

Just going as back up, Macey is off and that Runarsson looks awful 

Hello ,Grebfromgrebland, you asked me who my teams were in a thread now closed so I'll post it here.. Apologies for late reply I was suspended (VAR appeal pending and FA enquiry pending). Well I admitted to Chelsea, I lived in London and despite the Arsenal double team playing at Highbury. the Chelsea team were much better to watch, the Chelsea of Osgood , altho I called him Hosgood as at that time it was almost compulsory that your name began with an "H". Hollins,Houseman,Harris, Hudson,Harris again ,Harry Cooke ,(he was Charlie at home) etc.

Leicester and Chelsea are the only teams I would go out of my way to watch but I like almost all teams except Man.U, Real Madrid , Bayern Munich and PSG., Oh and temporarily Newcastle.

I especially like Notts Forest, Notts County, PSV Eindhoven, Ipswich and all the PL teams who are underfunded, Burnley, The Bournemouth of Eddie Howe and a few others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Staffs Fox said:

Zero sympathy for Klopp because as others have said he played an unnecessarily strong side against Villa in the cup and also did the same in a complete dead rubber in the CL when they’d already won the group and actually cost them Jota for 2 months!

With that said, I’m not going to stick my boot into them because this plight they’re in currently was inevitable at some point. They’ve been exceptional, truly exceptional for nearly 3 years and that level of consistency is almost unheard of.
Man City did pretty much the same but a year ahead of Liverpool and last year was their drop off in form and it’s taken them until now to look anywhere close to their best.

Liverpool will return but he needs to buy a centre half. Fabinho has been exceptional filling in but it means he’s not playing in his regular DM position and winning the ball back higher up the field. Him and Henderson in the middle are vital to that high press, high intensity game they play. Having them at CB nullifies that completely and makes them much easier to play against 

And clearly Klopp doesn't have faith in his two young centre backs. One of them looked relatively slow against West Brom so perhaps that could be the reason he will not play them.

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That said in recent weeks it’s pleasing that Kasper, Evans and Albrighton, all players with experience of winning the league, have come to the fore. Vardy is off form but still linking play very well in the team. But we have to hope that the mental collapse of last season is used to stop it happening this time round! That’s the scary thing for me - our players have very recent history of not being able to handle the pressure. We look mentally much stronger so far this season though!

That mix of experience and youth is essential in a pressure-cooker situation like this. One season on and Tielemans and Maddison have matured. Justin and Fofana appear to have been born with 'old heads' anyway. However, Castagne's return seems to have coincided with this rise in discipline and confidence. Once the defence and defensive midfield had steadied then the attack has had a chance to consolidate its work - I think the plaudits given to Maddison in the national press hint at his much-increased effectiveness.

Vardy plays at such a high level of awareness and reaction that it might appear that he's "off form" when not scoring - but the striker's life is one of droughts and abundance based on the reaction/position being millimetres and micro-seconds off.

I wonder if, as the rest of the shooters are doing so well and he is carrying a long-term injury, that he may be relaxing a wee bit and has lost some sharpness. But his contribution in creating opportunities is almost as crucial to City has his goals. And Vardy off-form is pretty well equivalent to the majority of Prem strikers being on-form.

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

I would love to see Under come in & give us that extra mystery %, that tips the scales from us being top 3-5 candidates,to really attacking those top 1-2 positions.

Yes - from what I've seen he does exactly the opposite of Gray. He gets 'stuck in' - trying to create openings and he has the desire to score from the edge of the action. He has energy too. At 2-0 up against a demoralised Chelsea and BR plays it safe and brings Perez and Iheanacho on - Uender would have been the 'cat amongst the pigeons'.

• Like 1