Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Just now, The Bear said:

I've been banging that drum for years now. He's a dinosaur and needs a meteor.

He lives off playing under Fergie and being at United and being a decent player. 

I also can't stand the lack of loyalty, the bloke has managed.... BOTH Wednesday and United, BOTH Sunderland and Newcastle, BOTH Birmingham and Villa

This bit about 'being a success' too... Couldn't get Villa out the Championship. Couldn't get Hull out the second time round.... Maybe if you go as far back as Birmingham you could give him some credit but that just emphasises the 'in the past' point.

This will surely be Steve Bruce’s last top flight job, likewise Sam Allardyce if WBA go down.

We haven’t seen Hughes or Pardew for a couple of years now.

Hopefully PL chairman will see there are new managers out there who can bring more success and allow clubs to do a little more than just shut up shop and survive.

We have the richest league in the world search for the Hasenhuttl and the likes doing great things in the world of football.

8 minutes ago, Kingleicester said:

There’s only one club in the midlands pal, and they play in blue 

Be more convincing if you didn't have brummie gangsters as your profile pic lol 

Edited by AjcW
  • Haha 2

When was the last time Arsenal didn’t play in a European competition of some description?

Now they are out of the FA Cup, the top 6 looks a long way of for them, both in terms of points and the way they and others are playing. 
Their only hope now is to win the EL, I can’t see that happening, in fact I can’t see them getting passed Benfica over two legs.

With players on huge wages, they will struggle to get back into the top six for a while, financially they could start to struggle with no European football and less sponsorship money coming in, as well as less prize money, TV money etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

When was the last time Arsenal didn’t play in a European competition of some description?

Now they are out of the FA Cup, the top 6 looks a long way of for them, both in terms of points and the way they and others are playing. 
Their only hope now is to win the EL, I can’t see that happening, in fact I can’t see them getting passed Benfica over two legs.

With players on huge wages, they will struggle to get back into the top six for a while, financially they could start to struggle with no European football and less sponsorship money coming in, as well as less prize money, TV money etc.

They might get into the 'Europa Conference League' to be fair. Extra space this year to qualify for that.

16 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

95/96 they have qualified for champions league every season apart from the last 3 seasons which have been Europa league qualification 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

They might get into the 'Europa Conference League' to be fair. Extra space this year to qualify for that.

I don’t think we do get an extra space, I think it’s now:

Top 4 Champions League

5th Place: Europa League

Fa Cup: Europa League

League cup: European Conference*

If League cup  winner is already top 5, 6th spot get European Conference spot.

• Like 1

I thought Newcastle enthusiasm looked horrendous I mean some of there players just didnt look up for it. Even some didnt look fit. It was so strange at even at 1-0 to villa after just twenty minutes it looked game over. What on earth is going on there? Bruce making comments like "we're going to do things my way" doesnt sound good. The way things look and sound present the discipline has gone and only one person can be at fault for that the manager. Cant see Bruce turning it round for the toon. They may not go to down with the gap between them bottom three being wide but it will depressing end to the season for Newcastle fans. I doubt though he'll get third season though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

I thought Newcastle enthusiasm looked horrendous I mean some of there players just didnt look up for it. Even some didnt look fit. It was so strange at even at 1-0 to villa after just twenty minutes it looked game over. What on earth is going on there? Bruce making comments like "we're going to do things my way" doesnt sound good. The way things look and sound present the discipline has gone and only one person can be at fault for that the manager. Cant see Bruce turning it round for the toon. They may not go to down with the gap between them bottom three being wide but it will depressing end to the season for Newcastle fans. I doubt though he'll get third season though.

I agree, I would hate players like Shelvey to play for us, he could be a really top player, but he frustrates me so much. I can’t work out if he’s lazy, loses focus, disinterested or what’s going on with him. He’s 28 now and should be in the park of his career yet he’s just not doing what I would want him to do in terms of winning a game.

Newcastle appear to have many passengers like him every week. 

9 hours ago, AjcW said:

Wanted to wait until the end of the game to respond to this, i know it was probable tongue in cheek so not just responding to you but...

Rafa had a 42.5% win percentage with Newcastle. In the Premier League it was 33% but he arguably had a worse squad and wasn't allowed to spend money.

Bruce spent £40m this year and £70m last, now that might not be his fault, that's where the other issues at the club lie, but the fact is cash and players have been given to him, whereas Rafa always had to sell to buy.

Rafa 86 games in the Prem - Won 27, Drawn 21, Lost 38. Goals Scored 97, Goals Conceded 107

Bruce 57 games in the Prem - Won 16, Drawn 15, Lost 26. Goals Scored 56, Goals Conceded 90

They've already nearly conceded as many goals in 29 GAMES LESS! For a manager who is supposedly organised defensively. I don't see Bruce getting another 11 Premier League wins even with another 57 games! 

Even when it was defensive, it was defensive in the good to watch sense, because it was clearly tactical and well thought out. At the minute it's just a random 11 blokes put onto the field with a different random formation each week. There's another one for you.... 19 games played this season, 15 formation changes :jawdrop:

Those are the headline stats, this is the detail stuff (not just prem games)...

Escip-oXEAYQBqH?format=jpg&name=900x900

Escip-rXYAAsi-U?format=jpg&name=900x900

That above one has got worse since...

Escip-nXIAAtNLs?format=jpg&name=900x900

Escip-qXUAEBD98?format=jpg&name=900x900

This one has also got worse since I saved it.

Also Stan speaking sense, nice to see as the old boys club at United gather round Bruce...

I don't care whether it's Rafa or some young coach with new ideas. There's absolutely no way that man deserves to be employed when other managers get sacked for actually having ideas and sticking to them. 

There's a point in the responses to the Collymore tweet which is interesting which makes reference to someone doing research into the pundits sticking up for him that discovered they all had the same agent as Bruce.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I don’t think we do get an extra space, I think it’s now:

Top 4 Champions League

5th Place: Europa League

Fa Cup: Europa League

League cup: European Conference*

If League cup  winner is already top 5, 6th spot get European Conference spot.

UEFA have published a “simple” access graph so people can work out how the competition will work

https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/0263-10c848fb43cc-49ac1262ab7c-1000/access_list_2021-22_final.pdf

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

UEFA have published a “simple” access graph so people can work out how the competition will work

https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/0263-10c848fb43cc-49ac1262ab7c-1000/access_list_2021-22_final.pdf

Thanks, two observations if I'm reading this correctly:

1 - It's technically possible for a team to play in the early qualification stages of the champions league, europa league and the conference but still not qualify for the group stages of the latter.

2 - The most qualifiers a team from one of the big 4 leagues has to play is a solidarity play off round in the conference as opposed to the usual 3 or so qualifiers teams like Spurs and Wolves have had in the past.

Point 2 seem to make me think this new ststem sways heavily in the favour of the bigger leagues.

6 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I agree, I would hate players like Shelvey to play for us, he could be a really top player, but he frustrates me so much. I can’t work out if he’s lazy, loses focus, disinterested or what’s going on with him. He’s 28 now and should be in the park of his career yet he’s just not doing what I would want him to do in terms of winning a game.

Newcastle appear to have many passengers like him every week. 

Players like Shelvey and Carroll are the problem at the moment. Shelvey seems is allowed to do what wants, asked to do more he sulks. Just happy to collect a huge wage, while Carroll knows no other premier league club would take him on but because he knows he's a local lad a legend, he thinks he's the bees knees. Club needs a proper revamp... they talk about Eddie Howe coming but as a big club as Newcastle are... would Eddie Howe relocate that far north.. I remember at Burnley when he was there he wasn't there long and couldn't wait to return to Bournemouth. If I was Newcastle I'd look for a manager who players attacking football and gets the best out of youngsters... Thomas Frank of Brentford I think would be great fit for them.

Doing a challenge this morning with a mate to come up with 1 famous celebrity fan for each club in the top flight... however they cannot be an ex player or connected to football in way.

So Far I've got

Arsenal- Peirs Morgan

Aston Villa- Tom Hanks

Brighton- ???

Burnley- Jordan North "Happy Place"

Chelsea- Will Ferrell

Crystal Palace- Neil Morrissey

Everton- Amanda Holden

Fulham- Hugh Grant

Leeds Utd- ???

Leicester- Sam Bailey

Liverpool- Stephen Graham